Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

I just received my rejection letter from UPenn, so now I can officially say that I will be attending Yale for my MA! Whew, what a long, drawn-out process!

I must say that I initially felt really disheartened and discouraged after being rejected from 3 out of the 4 schools I applied to this year. Did anyone else feel like there was something academically wrong with them? Thankfully, I understand that I should not take rejection letters so personally as there are a plethora of reasons--aside from academic merit--for rejections. 

Anyway, I am thankful to have joined some of the discussions on the forum and I wish everyone the best of success!! 

I just received my rejection letter from UPenn, so now I can officially say that I will be attending Yale for my MA! Whew, what a long, drawn-out process!

I must say that I initially felt really disheartened and discouraged after being rejected from 3 out of the 4 schools I applied to this year. Did anyone else feel like there was something academically wrong with them? Thankfully, I understand that I should not take rejection letters so personally as there are a plethora of reasons--aside from academic merit--for rejections. 

Anyway, I am thankful to have joined some of the discussions on the forum and I wish everyone the best of success!! 

Wow, but you applied to very competitive school! Congratulations on Yale! :D

BTW, I have a question that has been buzzing my mind. I feel stupid asking it, but since you are my fellow historians, who else to answer it? Especially those already in grad school.

An important part of life is practising sports. I began to research what sports I can practise at my new school and I found that that not many graduate students join recreational teams. Are doomed to indoor cycling or some tennis match every now and then? Do we have that little time not to do anything else? :( I'm talking about practise twice a week and a match on weekends, is that a lot? (I hope not!!!)

Thank you!!! :)

An important part of life is practising sports. I began to research what sports I can practise at my new school and I found that that not many graduate students join recreational teams. Are doomed to indoor cycling or some tennis match every now and then? Do we have that little time not to do anything else? :( I'm talking about practise twice a week and a match on weekends, is that a lot? (I hope not!!!)

Depends on your workload.  Several of my friends in school with me take part in intramurals.  I've played on a Co-Rec Volleyball team with other grad students from my residence for the last two years.  Couldn't make time for it this semester due to finishing my thesis, but making time for practice and games a couple nights a week was totally doable for me during a more normal semester.

Did anyone else feel like there was something academically wrong with them? 

Haha, yes. I did! I wondered if it was because of that horrible letter of rec, or my GRE or if I just wasn't capable of high-caliber Public History work. But, it's really just a matter of lots of people being amazing (including ourselves) and not enough spots.

And trust me, if you're over the moon about going to Yale, then everything else will fade away.

I know I am SO SO jazzed about Maryland right now. I've been researching fun facts about the University and remembering others from my past visits. Like the dairy on campus that has Fear the Turtle ice cream that I will now be exposed to constantly. Thank goodness I'm going to be broke!

The only thing hindering my "jazz" about Maryland is the snaffu I've hit with transfer credits from my study abroad place and my home institution. I'm between 2-6 credits short. Thankfully, there's lots of online classes at my local community college so I can take something stupid like History 103 (x2) and have it transfer back to Carroll. 

As for the funding thing - I'm going into my MA/MLIS unfunded. But, I've been told Maryland is great about funding people and you just have to pounce on the assistanceships website when they come up sometime during the summer. Looks like I know what website is going to become my new home!

Well, I spoke with two of my three LOR writers today about my UConn/IL State dilemma. Both of them told me if they were in my position they would take UConn's offer. One prof is about as brutally honest as they come and told me outright that I would be crazy to turn down the opportunity to go to UConn. The other is a very passive and kind person who usually tip-toes around tough issues but told me that if he were in my position he would go to UConn. Both also said that going to Illinois State would detract from the likelihood of getting into a great PhD program.

I will be doing that tonight with the rest of my drumline staff :)

The high school (my old high school) drumline I teach won the Minnesota circuit championships in their first year of competition this weekend.

T-minus 6 days until I need to make a decision and I'm still waiting to hear from UIC. If I really didn't like my POI there I would have just accepted elsewhere already...

well, the long national nightmare is over - i got a funding offer from Temple, so barring something unforeseen, that's where I'll be come August.

glad to be finally over with this process...congratulations to all my fellow members of the 2013 cohort!

Looks like waitlists are being shut down today...

Not surprised since Monday is decision day, but I expect there will still be some waitlist acceptances into next week.  I'm glad I emailed Michigan to see what was going on; top of the waitlist, but didn't sound like they were going to have any more room.  I'm quite happy with my decision to go to USC, so I don't mind. :)

Yeah, I saw some waitlist decision days last year were after the 15th. Don't you have to commit on that day though? What do you do if you get a waitlist acceptance after?

well, the long national nightmare is over - i got a funding offer from Temple, so barring something unforeseen, that's where I'll be come August.

glad to be finally over with this process...congratulations to all my fellow members of the 2013 cohort!

congrats!

Yeah, I saw some waitlist decision days last year were after the 15th. Don't you have to commit on that day though? What do you do if you get a waitlist acceptance after?
Here's the answer: http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf I was clued into it by another poster in another thread but couldn't find it after an exhaustive search on GradCafe...

Very interesting; thanks for this. The language is sort of vague though. Does an acceptance "left in force" mean one that hasn't been committed to after April 15? If so, does this mean you need to obtain written authorization to accept another offer whether or not you've accepted an offer already? And does this language imply that there's not really any obligation to accept an offer on April 15?

My Penn State waitlist did not work out so I made my decision. Sent the forms to formally accept the offer at SUNY Buffalo PhD program. oh and I did not forget to decline my poorly funded offer from NYU.

I'm glad this is over and a new semester is coming. It's been a great year on Gradcafe ! 

Very interesting; thanks for this. The language is sort of vague though. Does an acceptance "left in force" mean one that hasn't been committed to after April 15? If so, does this mean you need to obtain written authorization to accept another offer whether or not you've accepted an offer already? And does this language imply that there's not really any obligation to accept an offer on April 15?

My reading is this: if you've accepted an offer at University A by April 15, but then after April 15 you decide to go to University B, you need to get written permission from University A first.  (An acceptance "left in force after April 15" means an acceptance you've made and haven't backed out on by that date.)  University B cannot officially admit you until you have submitted this paperwork.  It doesn't sound like you need to submit paperwork if you haven't already accepted an offer at another institution.

The language definitely gives students an out -- but everything I've heard leads me to believe that backing out on an offer after April 15 is strongly discouraged on a social/cultural level.  It might be worth it, but you would risk burning a bridge.

Edited by Katzenmusik