Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Has anyone else applied straight out of undergrad?

Anyone have a general idea about the typical cohort demographic - maybe someone who is already attending? Am I going to be the "old guy" if I'm entering at 27?

Anyone have a general idea about the typical cohort demographic - maybe someone who is already attending? Am I going to be the "old guy" if I'm entering at 27?

That may well have to do with the school, I'm sure. Most schools will prefer individuals, like yourself, with years of experience. Other may prefer students right out of undergrad (although undergrad + experience certainly help - I've heard of situations where a Masters isn't necessarily a good thing).

Thanks, Quigley. Two sites are always better than one!! I set mine up and it still says "decision not available." Fingers crossed that that's not a bad sign...

I'd imagine there's a ways to go. Last year's results indicate that's the case, at least.

Edited by Quigley

It looks like everyone here applied to targeted schools...and not just blanketed the top 10. I hope everyone has done so also.

Can I ask what makes blanketing the top 10 a bad idea? One of my professors said "Go to a top ten program, or don't go."

Can I ask what makes blanketing the top 10 a bad idea? One of my professors said "Go to a top ten program, or don't go."

A few things:

1) Professors working on subject matter that interests you

2)Research philosophy - quant heavy? qualitative? what are your skills?

3) location, atmosphere, etc, depending on how important all of this is to you

But I guess I tried not to apply too narrowly based on research interests because I am positive they will change and evolve based on my coursework and mentors.

Generally I'm trying to go to the absolute best program I can get into and trying to not limit myself too much.

Edited by zzzzzz

Nothing is wrong with blanketing the top 10. If you get a top 10, fine. But schools like Michigan get 500 applications for like 20-30 spots. And I am sure there are similar numbers to all the top schools. So if you apply for all the top 10, but you dont bother to give a school ranked 20 or 30 a good look, I do not think that is wise. And I have read every thread on here about political science admission cycles (was a boring break lol) and you can get shut out. By solely looking at the top 10, you are eliminating Rochester, OSU, UNC, UW-Madison, NYU, Minnesota and Cornell. And thats just 10-20. Applying top 10 is great but I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you just look at top 10 and that is it.

But to each their own. I know if I could go to Harvard, I would have still applied to some of the schools I would have applied to, plus Pitt, NYU, UPenn and UVA. And Rochester, If I am Rochester Good lol

Blanketing the top ten is a bad idea because it means you're applying to schools without much thought about  how you fit into programs. You should choose schools to apply to based on how well they fit your research interest.

Targeting schools based on how their placement performance matches your career expectations is not a bad idea, but I would caution against using the "top ten" as a metric for evaluating that for a couple of reasons. First, plenty of schools outside the top ten can reliably place you in respectable work teaching in small LACs or public universities that don't have big research budgets (for example). If this type of a job is preferable to you over your other likely options, you should apply to schools that will admit you and can supply that kind of work.

Second, "the top ten" is hardly the limit for getting a research-oriented faculty position. There are schools (UW-Madison, Minnesota, Duke, UNC, UC-San Diego, and a dozen others) that have long records placing some portion of their students in tenure track postions at research universities or large LACs that encourage and support some research.

For what it's worth, I say this as someone who could be accused of blanketing the top ten; I didn't apply anywhere outside the top twenty.

I can only speak for myself, but I definitely targeted my applications based on where I could find professors that I want to work with. For anyone that will have to go through an additional 4-6 years of schooling, finding people that you think you will enjoy working with/under sounds like a must.

Blanketing the top ten is a bad idea because it means you're applying to schools without much thought about  how you fit into programs. You should choose schools to apply to based on how well they fit your research interest.

Targeting schools based on how their placement performance matches your career expectations is not a bad idea, but I would caution against using the "top ten" as a metric for evaluating that for a couple of reasons. First, plenty of schools outside the top ten can reliably place you in respectable work teaching in small LACs or public universities that don't have big research budgets (for example). If this type of a job is preferable to you over your other likely options, you should apply to schools that will admit you and can supply that kind of work.

Second, "the top ten" is hardly the limit for getting a research-oriented faculty position. There are schools (UW-Madison, Minnesota, Duke, UNC, UC-San Diego, and a dozen others) that have long records placing some portion of their students in tenure track postions at research universities or large LACs that encourage and support some research.

For what it's worth, I say this as someone who could be accused of blanketing the top ten; I didn't apply anywhere outside the top twenty.

Everyone above makes excellent points.  I spent months researching programs to find the ones that were the best fit. There were a few schools that I would have really loved to go to but they just didn't have the research match.

Edited by Quigley

Here to report an acceptance from George Mason. Got a snail mail yesterday from the department, no funding info, said formal acceptance letter will be coming from the school. I plan to wait out and see if there's funding on its way while waiting for the other schools. But good start. Yay! Anyone else got the same thing?

Assuming I'm accepted to a program, I'd be entering at 27 as well.  I'm glad I waited. If I would have applied directly from undergrad I would have been overly optimistic and naive about the process/job search.   

Assuming I'm accepted to a program, I'd be entering at 27 as well.  I'm glad I waited. If I would have applied directly from undergrad I would have been overly optimistic and naive about the process/job search.   

I'll be 27 about 2 months into any program I attend. I think it is a fairly typical age to be entering a PhD program. Even if not, it looks like we're in good company here.

Here to report an acceptance from George Mason. Got a snail mail yesterday from the department, no funding info, said formal acceptance letter will be coming from the school. I plan to wait out and see if there's funding on its way while waiting for the other schools. But good start. Yay! Anyone else got the same thing?

Amanda told me Early Feb. at the Latest. So we shall see. I just checked my application status today and nothing. She told me they were still under review....I smell a ding coming

Amanda told me Early Feb. at the Latest. So we shall see. I just checked my application status today and nothing. She told me they were still under review....I smell a ding coming

Not to worry yet. I live in Virginia so maybe that's why I got the mail a couple of days earlier. Good luck!!