April Approaches

sansao

What do y'all plan to do if it gets to be April and you still haven't heard back (aside from hyperventilating)?

Probably have a complete breakdown, assume I'm rejected, plan an extra semester to finish my thesis, and plan on reapplying. Not necessarily in that order.

Note: I'm already in a couple stages of items one and two.

I'll probably continue panicking and add a side of meltdown. Email to ask for a status update.

I'm not so much worried about not hearing back (I know I will eventually) but more about hearing back a resounding "No".

Probably have a complete breakdown, assume I'm rejected, plan an extra semester to finish my thesis, and plan on reapplying. Not necessarily in that order.

Note: I'm already in a couple stages of items one and two.

Ditto. Plus consider retaking GRE.

Life will go on. I will just call them up and ask, but at this point there's only 1 program left I would want to go to. I have another option, but I've decided to forgo my previous major. All of this made me realize I didn't even really want it and that I think I was taking the easy way out by going for it. If I don't hear back or don't get in to the one I want, I'll just keep doing what I'm planning on doing. No big deal.

Ask me that this time next year and my answer will be very different though.

What do y'all plan to do if it gets to be April and you still haven't heard back (aside from hyperventilating)?

I might start to email the schools (those that haven't sent me any news) about my application status... but through end of March I'm gonna wait as long as I can without sending out any emails to admission officers...

I know its hard to wait it out but a lot of canadian universities are super slow in sending out their decisions.. depending on where you all have applied many universities give a time frame of early April to late May for sending out decisions.. so I suggest you wait and keep chatting with people on the forum and keep yourself busy :) I know its hard.. i have my moments of absolute panic where i think im definitely not going to get in and freak out. but eventually i forget about it all and tell myself that i have to wait another month to find out and theres no point in checking my mail a dozen times a day because i aint gonna hear back before mid april .. so take it easy.. and best of luck :)

.. so take it easy.. and best of luck :)

Definitely trying to take it easy, definitely not having much luck. :) With the 4/15 deadline agreement for US schools, I'm starting to get really nervous. Spring Break ended last week, there's only 3 weeks left until the aforementioned deadline. I've got a mixture of terror and hopefulness regarding the lack of a decision. Knowing that I'm definitely not a first round pick, I'm not surprised that I didn't hear back in early Feb (though that didn't stop me from checking, haha). I really did think I would know more than I do by now, though. The bright side is that I haven't seen any admissions either way for most of the programs to which I applied, so I am assuming (read: desperately hoping) they're just slow this year.

I think at this point I am going to start contacting schools before the deadline. Just to see where they are. At this point I am already looking at jobs to improve my application for the next round. It is looking more and more bleak as time goes on. But at this point if they all reject me, I will disappointed, but I think I have reached the point of acceptance that that is the way that it worked out this year. There is always more time to try again.

I think at this point I am going to start contacting schools before the deadline. Just to see where they are. At this point I am already looking at jobs to improve my application for the next round. It is looking more and more bleak as time goes on. But at this point if they all reject me, I will disappointed, but I think I have reached the point of acceptance that that is the way that it worked out this year. There is always more time to try again.

Perhaps I'm excessively naive, but I'm still trying to hold out some degree of hope. You should do the same until you hear from everyone. I contacted one department last week, and they actually haven't made decisions yet. They aren't even sure they'll make it by the deadline... which could be awkward, but it's good to know.

Well, I find myself still having hope. One school just sent at least one rejection, after the first round of acceptances, and I didn't get one yet. As there are still a few weeks before this deadline, I am hoping that means I still have a chance there, maybe. ;-) That is how I am looking at it at this point. If I am not rejected, there is even a bit of hope. But I emailed them this morning to see if they would like any updates, and asking how the process is going. *crosses fingers for a good response* I'll probably start emailing the other 3 schools I haven't heard back from in the next couple of days.

*crosses fingers for a good response* I'll probably start emailing the other 3 schools I haven't heard back from in the next couple of days.

Hope you get a good response too. A friend of mine (who's dad is a geologist) was telling me that he just recently started giving his students the informal info. So maybe it's just a matter of faculty getting around to sending out the emails with all of the other stuff they have going on. *also crosses fingers*

Well, I find myself still having hope. One school just sent at least one rejection, after the first round of acceptances, and I didn't get one yet. As there are still a few weeks before this deadline, I am hoping that means I still have a chance there, maybe. ;-) That is how I am looking at it at this point. If I am not rejected, there is even a bit of hope. But I emailed them this morning to see if they would like any updates, and asking how the process is going. *crosses fingers for a good response* I'll probably start emailing the other 3 schools I haven't heard back from in the next couple of days.

Hope you get a good response too. A friend of mine (who's dad is a geologist) was telling me that he just recently started giving his students the informal info. So maybe it's just a matter of faculty getting around to sending out the emails with all of the other stuff they have going on. *also crosses fingers*

I've heard from all my schools at this point, but remain wait-listed at my top choice. The deadline for notification is rapidly approaching, and I don't want to notify acceptance to a back-up if my #1 comes through at the last minute. It has been difficult to hold on to hope as I know my area of study was only taking 1 student this year, which means that the wait-list probably only consists of me (esp. since I made it known they are at the top of my list) unless someone is in front of me. I certainly know what it is like to have the deafening silence exist as a constant for several weeks. I didn't find out I was on the wait-list until I asked, so I recommend politely inquiring about your applications. But, I would be prepared for the very real possibility of more waiting. Best of luck to you both.

Be happy that I have a job and am not living in a cardboard box. I have actually been planning a vacation for June so I can have something to look forward and to slightly minimize my obsession of knowing the admissions results. So if I get in, it will be a celebratory trip, and if I don't it will take my mind off of my dreams being crushed. haha.

I know it's rough, guys, especially with less than two weeks left. My mindset is cyclical, up and down and not as balanced as what I would normally want for myself and all the others right now! Keeping my fingers crossed and going to contact whichever schools are left...

Applied: 10

Accepted: 0

Rejected: 5

Waitlisted: 2

Pending: do the math... jk. 3.

i've been reading this forum for the past couple weeks, it's nice to see that other people are just as stressed out as i am! i've been waiting for weeks to hear back from the program i applied to and still hadn't heard anything. i called today to see if they could give me any information only to be told "we're still processing them and won't send anything out until MID-MAY." my lease in the current city i live in ends May 28th, so i'm not sure what i'm going to do if i don't know by then. i need to find a place to live for a few months before i move to where the school is. but nobody cares about any of that in admissions. this process is so frustrating!