Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Lol thank you. Here's an update for those waiting to hear from Irvine. I just got a phone call from the grad chair who said that DGS wasn't actually supposed to send out the email yet. The only reason I got early acceptance was because of Deans fellowship nomination and diversity fellowship nod, but it didn't say anything about those things in the email. On the phone she said they would match and raise any other offer I've been given from other schools because they "knew they would have to fight for me". I feel so blessed and cursed :/ is it possible for a school to guilt you into enrolling? Too much to think about. Good luck in the coming hours and days my friends. I love you all.

Fight to the death! lol just kidding! Thanks for the info by the way! I applied to UCI so I am hoping for good news!

Lol thank you. Here's an update for those waiting to hear from Irvine. I just got a phone call from the grad chair who said that DGS wasn't actually supposed to send out the email yet. The only reason I got early acceptance was because of Deans fellowship nomination and diversity fellowship nod, but it didn't say anything about those things in the email. On the phone she said they would match and raise any other offer I've been given from other schools because they "knew they would have to fight for me". I feel so blessed and cursed :/ is it possible for a school to guilt you into enrolling? Too much to think about. Good luck in the coming hours and days my friends. I love you all.

Keely, Congratz again! UCI is one of my top schools too! Who is DGS of UCI English now? And who is the Grad Chair? Just to keep these names in mind, in case I want to write to them later to find out about my application. Thanks!

This is utterly and completely off-topic, but, girl who wears glasses: I just read this in Mary Ann Doane's "Film and the Masquerade" (which I'm teaching tomorrow):

"The woman who wears glasses constitutes one of the most intense visual cliches of the cinema. The image is a heavily marked condensation of motifs concerned with repressed sexuality, knowledge, visibility and vision, intellectuality and undesirability; but the moment she removes her glasses (a moment which, it seems, must always be shown and which is itself linked with a certain sensual quality), she is transformed into spectacle, the very picture of desire."

Made me think of you (and, of course, She's All That). ;)

My heart has grown three sizes larger. Anytime I can be mentioned in the same sentence as She's All That is a true honor. That's probably my most-referenced movie moment.

I'm going to have to read that. I didn't end up working as closely with "Men seldom make passes / At girls who wear glasses" in my undergrad thesis as I would've liked but I would be surprised if it didn't play a central role in whatever I do going forward.

lovelovelove

No offense to Keely, but the diversity scholarship reference tips me off to what may have been so desirable in her application...

LOOK I SAID IT I'M SORRY IT WAS THERE

I'm sure you're also a very wonderful and hardworking scholar. But let's be frank. This is a hyper-competitive process and any sliver of an inch that gets you ahead can be the deciding factor. So yes, sometimes that sliver is affirmative action. And there's nothing wrong with that. 

You are amazing! Congrats!

I might as well add my heard it through the grapevine info: a grad student at UCR tells me that the admissions decisions should go out either the end of this week, or the beginning of next.

Hmm. A friend of mine called UCR last Friday (2/8), and Tina told her that decisions would go out within the next 3 weeks (!!!). I certainly hope your grad student connection is right; I honestly cannot focus on ANYTHING anymore, as UCR is my top choice and I simply need to know. NOW. 

:(

No offense to Keely, but the diversity scholarship reference tips me off to what may have been so desirable in her application...

I'm sure you're also a very wonderful and hardworking scholar. But let's be frank. This is a hyper-competitive process and any sliver of an inch that gets you ahead can be the deciding factor. So yes, sometimes that sliver is affirmative action. And there's nothing wrong with that. 

tumblr_inline_mi37v2DLDM1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_mel0nwfeA81r3eap1.gif

Hey, I'm with you there. I figured, I don't care if I get in because I'm black; I just want to get in!

Hey, I'm with you there. I figured, I don't care if I get in because I'm black; I just want to get in!

Yeah, totally. If I were black I would have absolutely NO compunction about putting that all over my application.  

I don't see why everyone is so squeamish about acknowledging that affirmative action is a thing. It exists. Like I said above, it doesn't mean that an applicant doesn't deserve to get in WITHOUT affirmative action. 

Hmm. A friend of mine called UCR last Friday (2/8), and Tina told her that decisions would go out within the next 3 weeks (!!!). I certainly hope your grad student connection is right; I honestly cannot focus on ANYTHING anymore, as UCR is my top choice and I simply need to know. NOW. 

:(

I hope he's right too! I don't know whether he is right or not, but he told me this without me asking. I wasn't fishing for information from him, so I suppose that means he must really know. My only fear is that he was talking about making final decisions rather than informing applicants. If he is wrong I have a bone to pick with him!

Congrats, Keely. And have I told you how I love your picture? Marilyn Monroe reading Ulysses is one of the best images to come out of the 20th century.

Yay thank you. It's an appropriate avatar for many reasons.

Keely, Congratz again! UCI is one of my top schools too! Who is DGS of UCI English now? And who is the Grad Chair? Just to keep these names in mind, in case I want to write to them later to find out about my application. Thanks!

Thanks! it's Ann Van Sant. She was extremely nice on the phone. Actually none of the other programs contacted me personally until now. She said Prof. Laura O'Connor really wanted to meet me and would be in touch soon, and she is one POI whom I did send a few emails back and forth with before sending apps out to notify her of my interest. 

You should tell them that Berkeley is giving you $300,000 a year plus your own reality show.

Mmm that sounds decadent. I'm sure all my current profs at Berkeley think I'm crazy enough to take the deal for the price of a Big Box meal at Taco Bell and a certain Pan American advertisement poster they have framed and hanging in the department lounge that I've had my eye on for years now. (But if you hear that said poster disappeared and ended up in LA somehow, you don't know anything.)

Keys to the cute professers' bedrooms and a tiny child to do your bidding.

This would probably work better. The men, not the children. (re: Marilyn avatar)

No offense taken and thanks for bringing this up because it's been on my mind a lot. To be honest, I am whole-heartedly against AA. If you heard about Berkeley College Republicans holding an anti-AA bake sale last year - yup that was us. So I actually sort of feel like a disgusting hypocrite if that ended up why I was picked over someone else, and it's something I've been feeling sh**ty about the past few weeks. Everything I said in my app was true, but I don't want that to be the reason why a school wants to take me, like some sort of scientific anomaly.

I'm a 27yo little white girl, but I grew up homeless and in and out of foster care. My formal education was arrested in 7th grade because I needed to go out and start making enough money to live. After years of full time retail jobs, intermittent community college, and too many nights in jail, I finally earned enough credits to transfer. I've maintained my 4.0 at Berkeley, established excellent rapport with all my professors (none of whom knew my past situation), and earned my spot in the year-long Honors thesis course, which you have to apply specifically to take. So with merit vs. diversity quota, I'm not sure exactly which carried my app further. I'm going to see if I can ask adcomms point blank WHY I was chosen, and I'm going to take this answer to heart with respect to where I choose to study. 

I feel so blessed and cursed :/ is it possible for a school to guilt you into enrolling? Too much to think about. Good luck in the coming hours and days my friends. I love you all.

Keely, wow congrats! Umm... can I have one of your acceptances? Please and thanks ;)

Haha, but all jealousy aside, major congrats!

I'm a 27yo little white girl, but I grew up homeless and in and out of foster care. My formal education was arrested in 7th grade because I needed to go out and start making enough money to live. After years of full time retail jobs, intermittent community college, and too many nights in jail, I finally earned enough credits to transfer. I've maintained my 4.0 at Berkeley, established excellent rapport with all my professors (none of whom knew my past situation), and earned my spot in the year-long Honors thesis course, which you have to apply specifically to take. So with merit vs. diversity quota, I'm not sure exactly which carried my app further. I'm going to see if I can ask adcomms point blank WHY I was chosen, and I'm going to take this answer to heart with respect to where I choose to study. 

Honestly, I don't think you should feel ashamed or guilty AT ALL for having benefitted from affirmative action. Almost everyone (even affirmative action's harshest critics) agree that THIS is exactly the kind of background that SHOULD be given special consideration. Because financial background is a hindrance to people of all races, and assuming that a black person has suffered just for being black is no longer an accurate model for the way our society functions. I think you should feel very proud of your background and where you have gotten. Or don't think twice about it. But certainly don't feel guilty.

Affirmative action is, indeed, a thing, at least in some places for for some positions. It is a tiny, tiny band-aid on centuries of racial (and other kinds of) oppression. That doesn't make it cool to assume that any person of color who is successful is a recipient of affirmative action, nor is it any of your business if they are. Where it exists, affirmative action only helps when a candidate is already good enough. Lots of people of color apply and get rejected. Your comment was completely disrespectful to Keely's successes.

Edited by asleepawake

^ I explicitly said in my post that I wasn't knocking her other qualifications in any way. It's just a fact that sometimes AA is the difference between an acceptance and a waitlist/rejection. I personally think it's a good thing that we have AA, even though it's not a perfect system. I think Keely is an ideal benefactor of AA.

^ I explicitly said in my post that I wasn't knocking her other qualifications in any way. It's just a fact that sometimes AA is the difference between an acceptance and a waitlist/rejection. I personally think it's a good thing that we have AA, even though it's not a perfect system. I think Keely is an ideal benefactor of AA.

You may have said that, but responding to her acceptances with "I know why you really got in" is insulting no matter how you justify it. Getting a diversity fellowship doesn't prove that somebody is an AA admit, either. All it proves is that they got the diversity fellowship; of those admitted, they offered the most in that area.

I CANNOT STAY MAD AT YOUR PUPPYNOSE ICON, though.

Edited by asleepawake

I also got a fellowship nomination for underrepresented students and it's comments like this that still make me feel shitty about it

the fuck does it matter to you? what's the point of this comment
Edited by davidm