Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Although this isn't contributing really, I'd just like to say how reading everyone else's paranoia is making me feel a bit less alone. My current bouts with paranoia include:

1) Oh my god, what if one of my recommenders secretly hated me but pretended to like me all those years ago, and is just now exacting her revenge (this is, obviously, ridiculous, and I'm obviously giving myself way too much import in the minds of others). I'm looking for the most minute markers of subtext in every single email. Ridiculous.

2) My writing sample is a part of a larger thesis. I'm wondering do I provide an abstract for the missing chapters. Also, should I use my cover page and table of contents still, to provide some context for what's missing. If so, how do I format this? (I'm fairly confident this won't make or break my application. In my mind, however, it will).

3) For my "major GPA", do I select the strongest GPA of my majors, or the GPA for the major that seems most relevant? (Since they'll have my transcripts, it's probably six one way...).

UGH! I'll be so glad once 2013 rolls around, and my apps are done.

YES YES AND YES (again).

I actually spent about 15 minutes yesterday talking to my boyfriend about how I'm pretty sure that one of rec writers secretly has hated me for the past four years, and is going to write a bad rec for me. He told me that was the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard, but I'm still kinda convinced otherwise...

AND my writing sample is a part of my MA thesis. I'm submitting the second chapter as my writing sample, so I'm going to write a 1 (MAYBE one and half) page abstract (that's better than the one submitted with my actual thesis, ek) that explains the overall work, and how that chapter fits into it. I'm also going to mention it briefly (like, half a sentence briefly) in my SOP that it's part of a larger thesis that is a cornerstone for my work, etc. etc. BUT I'm concerned that without the other two chapters, it won't make sense... WHAT OH WHAT if I've picked the WRONG chapter? What if chapter 3 is what would have gotten me in because that's my best work not stupid chapter 2?

And just practically speaking, I'm not including a cover page or anything. Just abstract/brief intro to entire work and then that work with the end notes and works cited page attached. I think it totals around 21 pages (ek again) so I'm hoping that's okay.

Here's a question: Does anyone have any experience/heard any stories about people submitting works that are one or two pages longer than what is requested? Is that, like, an automatic "throw away" since it shows I can't follow directions, or does it not really matter because that extra page was the Works Cited or something? Should I call, and ask before just sending it in like that? MY OH MY that is stressful.

Long story VERY short, I'm also totally necrotic about ALL of these things. And many MANY more.

Did I mention I took the GRE yesterday (for the 3rd time) and scored EXACTLY what I got the second time I took it? And I mean EXACT SAME FUCKING SCORE. Now there's a waste of $175.

Here's a question: Does anyone have any experience/heard any stories about people submitting works that are one or two pages longer than what is requested? Is that, like, an automatic "throw away" since it shows I can't follow directions, or does it not really matter because that extra page was the Works Cited or something? Should I call, and ask before just sending it in like that? MY OH MY that is stressful.

while i don't have any direct experience re: AdComm with this question, in general, my $0.02 is: never, ever, EVER disobey a page limit. this was ingrained for me by my teachers in high school who insisted that if a professor said "12 pages max" and you submitted more than 12 pages, they'd rip off the extra pages and grade you based on only what was contained in the first 12. exactly one time in my academic career have i had a professor explicitly grant us permission to deviate from the stated limit, and he did it thusly:

"12 to 15 pages or shorter if merited by wit."

no joke. best professor ever.

& in my MA program, i happened to go over an assignment by one page (12 to 15 pages, my paper was 16 i believe, which included my works cited), & i was scolded for not sticking within the parameters of the assignment by my professor (who did his undergrad at columbia & phd at harvard).

my gut tells me that if you're applying to west coast schools, you *might* get away with not following directions to a T, but it certainly won't fly back east. but my brain is much more cynical than my gut, & it screams: never, ever, EVER disobey a page limit.

while i don't have any direct experience re: AdComm with this question, in general, my $0.02 is: never, ever, EVER disobey a page limit. this was ingrained for me by my teachers in high school who insisted that if a professor said "12 pages max" and you submitted more than 12 pages, they'd rip off the extra pages and grade you based on only what was contained in the first 12. exactly one time in my academic career have i had a professor explicitly grant us permission to deviate from the stated limit, and he did it thusly:

& in my MA program, i happened to go over an assignment by one page (12 to 15 pages, my paper was 16 i believe, which included my works cited), & i was scolded for not sticking within the parameters of the assignment by my professor (who did his undergrad at columbia & phd at harvard).

my gut tells me that if you're applying to west coast schools, you *might* get away with not following directions to a T, but it certainly won't fly back east. but my brain is much more cynical than my gut, & it screams: never, ever, EVER disobey a page limit.

In this case, I would stay stick to guidelines (especially the ones that seem super strict about it like, say, UChicago) but man. I never once had an assignment that was "x pages maximum" or "between x and y pages." It was always more "x-ish pages or however long it takes you to make an argument, you do you." It's that kind of difference between institutional expectations that makes this whole thing so panic-making.

That's what I figured, sigh. I've read on here before (can't remember where, forgive me) that people have called and asked the DGS directly if that would be alright, and the DGS has said that it's fine. OF COURSE this is not gospel, and I'll probably go with just paring down my sample rather than risking coming off as not being able to follow directions.

I've also never had a teacher who limited page length like that, but I have had profs say their professors at other schools who had those types of limits. Apparently being able to follow directions is sometimes as important as being able to write the damn thing, who knew?

Thanks for answering my questions!

It's that kind of difference between institutional expectations that makes this whole thing so panic-making.

ABSOLUTELY.

I'm pretty sure Penn's is 20 pages. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? I can probably get my paper up to 15 pages, but I don't feel like that's enough for Penn. Thoughts?

I actually had this exact strike of paranoia tonight. I'm applying to nine programs and my funds are tight, so I'm having score reports sent when I can (i.e. on paydays) rather than doing them all at once... much less overwhelming to spend $25 a week than to spend $225 in a single go. But yes, I am nervous about the schools that are getting my GRE scores now-ish and won't get my application for another month.

I actually emailed a couple of schools (CUNY Graduate Center and Fordham) about it, and they both said it wouldn't be a problem, although Fordham suggested sending a follow-up email once I submit my application. This has calmed my fears somewhat, since I figure these schools have been doing this for ages and surely they must have a reliable system in place. I'm mainly worried about schools with somewhat vague and/or unhelpful application instructions, since I don't know if that's a general indication of their admissions organization (or lack thereof).

I'm definitely not liking how large a chunk of time logistical considerations are playing in this application process.

Speaking of paranoia, is anyone else worried about submitting GRE score reports and transcripts before submitting the actual applications themselves? I have a fairly common name, so I'm terrified that should those items arrive first, they won't be matched up to the rest of my application.

This is most likely overboard paranoia and it seems like you're creating stress for yourself. In any case, call the dept. after you submit your application to make sure they have everything.

Edited by nhswrestle

Hello, everyone, I have had a gander at your wonderfully manic musings, and I am thrilled to find people as wracked with anxiety and terror over this whole process as I am. In many ways I am in a particularly awful situation, as my one year masters program is gearing up intensely right now, and I've yet to take the GRE Subject or General Test (I'm doing both in the next few weeks). To say that I'm coasting on my knowledge of the canon and writing ability is especially naive, because I haven't even started a draft of an SOP, have no time to contact POIs (I only just discovered that acronym; won't pretend: feeling a bit exclusive) and I'm not from the States, so I feel like I'm excluded from an arcane body of knowledge about schools and professors and grad school generally that the Yanks among you are privy to. All of which is to say, someonepleasetellmeicandothis!

For all those who are applying to study at the CSU or UC system or to teach at the community college, CSU, or UC system... you can breathe a sigh of relief. Prop 30, which increases funding for public K-college education in California, passed by a considerable margin.

Today is a good day for higher education in California.

Thank God it did, Proflorax. Hopefully that means a little more job security for me if PhD programs don't pan out. Or more funding if they do!

Question: Are you all using your major GPAs or cumulative? I was a double major, Spanish and International Studies, but my Spanish major GPA is much higher. I'm also applying to Spanish programs.

(Yes, I know this isn't the Languages forum, but you all are, like me, more active posters!)

Thank God it did, Proflorax. Hopefully that means a little more job security for me if PhD programs don't pan out. Or more funding if they do!

Question: Are you all using your major GPAs or cumulative? I was a double major, Spanish and International Studies, but my Spanish major GPA is much higher. I'm also applying to Spanish programs.

(Yes, I know this isn't the Languages forum, but you all are, like me, more active posters!)

Where it asks for major GPA maybe use an average of your two majors? Or if you're only applying to Spanish, use that. But where it doesn't specify, use cumulative (yes, I know that's where many of us fall. Stupid calculus).

For all those who are applying to study at the CSU or UC system or to teach at the community college, CSU, or UC system... you can breathe a sigh of relief. Prop 30, which increases funding for public K-college education in California, passed by a considerable margin.

Today is a good day for higher education in California.

I am glad that this passed, but does it help out the UC system? From the state's official voter's guide: "Allocates temporary tax revenues 89% to K–12 schools and 11% to community colleges." Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

I am glad that this passed, but does it help out the UC system? From the state's official voter's guide: "Allocates temporary tax revenues 89% to K–12 schools and 11% to community colleges." Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Yeah... the ballot is written poorly. My students pointed out that the guide also doesn't explain how public safety is being funded either (since 89+11=100). But yes, the UC system is definitely getting funds from this. Since Prop 30 was passed, the UC system does not have to rise tuition as they planned to if Prop 30 didn't pass. So, yay!

Yeah... the ballot is written poorly. My students pointed out that the guide also doesn't explain how public safety is being funded either (since 89+11=100). But yes, the UC system is definitely getting funds from this. Since Prop 30 was passed, the UC system does not have to rise tuition as they planned to if Prop 30 didn't pass. So, yay!

Thanks for that link! I am very glad to see this. So now the three UC schools I am applying to can all accept all of us GCers who apply!

Just joined, been lurking for about a month or so. Hello! :) Currently stressing over my writing sample and getting my recommendations.

The longest paper I had to write as an undergrad was seven pages long, so I've been freaking out over writing a fifteen page paper! I'm planning to specialize in British Romanticism, and my writing sample is about James Joyce's Dubliners - they don't quite match, but were I to change my writing sample now, I think I would have a meltdown.

About my recommendations, I asked three professors, but one is no longer working at the college I graduated from and isn't teaching at the moment. She said that as she is no longer working there, she may not be my best choice, but I know she would write a really wonderful recommendation. Caught between insisting that I would like her to write recommendations for me or asking professors I haven't kept in contact with since I graduated four years ago. Thoughts?

My first application is due December 5th. Yikes!! Good luck to everyone applying this year!!

I really can't even describe how much I hate the SOP. And the attempt to be specific, rather than generic, but just generic enough that you sound like you are asking a question rather than writing a paper...I'm pretty sure my SOP sucks. As far as contacting POI, I haven't, but I am now turning into a deeply paranoid individual about all the things I could have, should have, and may have possible done. I really thought I would have everything under control this time around. Strike 1. Or 20. I lost count.

Hi guys!

I am a Spanish guy who would like to live and study a PhD the next 5 years in the United States of America. I would like to study Afro-American literature. I do not really care where in the States as long as it is in the US. Are there ANY US Universities where admissions and funded aid are easy to get?? Do you know the easiest programs to get in ??

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards to everyone!!

Alfonso

• 2 weeks later...

Dear UMD Applicants:

Which SoP instructions are you following? The ones on the ASF include a diversity/personal statement type thing. I e-mailed the department to point out this contradicts what their website says, and was told to obey the department instructions (i.e. just a standard SoP, no personal stuff). So then should this be 1,000 words or still 1,000-2,000?

Help is appreciated!

Dear UMD Applicants:

Which SoP instructions are you following? The ones on the ASF include a diversity/personal statement type thing. I e-mailed the department to point out this contradicts what their website says, and was told to obey the department instructions (i.e. just a standard SoP, no personal stuff). So then should this be 1,000 words or still 1,000-2,000?

Help is appreciated!

Hey waparys, I submitted a standard statement, following the department-webpage's guidelines, that was 1070 words. I didn't notice any length requirements on the departmental webpage, so I went with the 1000-2000-word guideline noted in the supplemental application section. My standard statement is 1000 words, so when I couldn't find any length-requirements on the departmental website, I decided I'd just add anything additional I felt like adding (which turned out to be 70 words). The extra 70 words weren't about diversity or anything like that. Hope that helps.

Dear UMD Applicants:

Help is appreciated!

Crap on a stick. I went with the instructions on the ASF, so I added one paragraph about how my mom's struggles introduced me to the concepts of feminism. It fits thematically because I talk about feminist theory throughout the SoP, and fortunately, I only added one paragraph; still, I wonder if it's worth me submitting a revised SoP without that paragraph, as I imagine they don't actually want to know about my childhood. Bugger. I should have double-checked with the department website!

Double check if you're really worried. I got this info from the contact person (the Academic Coordinator of Graduate Studies). Though she never responded to the fact that the ASF said this and was therefore misleading...maybe if someone else points it out to her.