Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Haha, as someone who went through all of this last year at this time, I can remember how awful this all was.  Keep in mind, you're almost definitely not going to hear anything for another month (I think my earliest notification was early(ish) February.  And you are going to keep getting those "we have received your application" e-mails the entire time and it's going to give you a heart attack each and every time.  One school (I think it was Duke) sent me one like every three days for over a month!  Good luck to you all!  Maybe I will see some of you around my neck of the woods in a few months! :)

So this just happened to me: 

Just got an email from Cornell and I think I actually HAD A HEART ATTACK.

I know that none of my schools will notify for another month, and yet... part of me thought, for one split second, that I am just so awesome that maybe they were telling me I'd been admitted early. And then, oh god, the crushing shame because of course they will probably throw my app on a burning pile and laugh maniacally when they do eventually read it.

Just got an email from Cornell and I think I actually HAD A HEART ATTACK.

I know that none of my schools will notify for another month, and yet... part of me thought, for one split second, that I am just so awesome that maybe they were telling me I'd been admitted early. And then, oh god, the crushing shame because of course they will probably throw my app on a burning pile and laugh maniacally when they do eventually read it.

January should be locked up for what it's doing to us! I say we all boycott January and move right on to February, 

I know that none of my schools will notify for another month, and yet... part of me thought, for one split second, that I am just so awesome that maybe they were telling me I'd been admitted early. 

My subconscious is out to get me because I have had this dream twice since submitting applications. One time, I dreamt that Purdue emailed me early because they LOVED ME SO MUCH. I knew it couldn't be real, so IN MY DREAM, I woke up, checked my email, and the emailed acceptance was still there! Since I thought I had "woken up," I believed that the email was real.

Then, I woke up. In real life. Checked my email, and there was NOTHING. This has happened twice, now. My brain is out to get me...

[insert .gif of person with crazy eyes darting from left to right. (Seriously, I have no idea where ya'll find these amazing .gifs all the time)]

Edited by proflorax

I had a dream that I was rejected from everywhere and I was worried about whether I should tell the gradcafe or if I should just disappear and never post again.

Then I was at a dinosaur zoo so idk.

Edited by asleepawake

I had a dream that I was rejected from everywhere and I was worried about whether I should tell the gradcafe of if I should just disappear and never post again.

Then I was at a dinosaur zoo so idk.

I think this means that you'll get in everywhere. But what do I know, all I have is a PhDD in dream interpretation clairvoyance.

Yes with the dreams. Last night I had a dream that one of my schools sent me this elaborate scroll of parchment paper that announced my acceptance. And then I noticed the "send date" on the scroll (because of course it's like an email) was like 2 days after the school's deadline had been, so I became skeptical of the scroll and didn't know if I should post on gradcafe about it or not. Damn you trick acceptance emails and gradcafe for making it into my subconsciousness! (and yet here I am)

Having finished all my applications, I feel as though I've broken through a resistant veil and am now floating in zero gravity. Been reading Stanley Cavell's Little Did I Know: Excerpts from Memory (the man writes wonderfully...I've always loved reading his writing), but that just seems to have added on to the feeling of weightlessness. SO, would anyone like to casually read my writing sample and offer commentary? I'm a bit pleased with where it is (never a good sign), and I'd like to try and turn it into a conference paper, or even a publication (hah). At any rate, it'll pass my time and yours, nein?

It isn't very English/Lit, though. Early visual culture/film studies/art history. But, since we're all in the humanities, I don't think any of you would be lost at sea. 

And as for grad admissions-related dreams, I woke up from a short nap today having dreamt that I got into Indiana-Bloomington, which is odd considering I didn't apply there or even think about it.  I visited the campus, arrived late to a tour they were doing, and discovered that I was one of 5 applicants admitted.  I think the average incoming cohort is a lot higher than that at many places, but it's weird to think that, in such a situation, you'd represent 20% of the student body.  :blink:

Edited by Two Espressos