Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Studying for the verbal section of the GRE has made me realize something:

Despite my love of the English language, there are FAR too many words in the English language.*

Oy vey... back to the hit parade!

*Not really. Just GRE-fatigued.

FAR too many is right. I'm planning to take the GRE twice if necessary. I feel like it's a toss-up when you take the test: you might be questioned on a lot of words you know or a lot of words you don't know.

Right now, I'm just trying to run train on the Barron's 1000 List when I'm not working on my PS and Writing Sample.

BTW If you have any questions regarding UMass's English department feel free to message me. I did my undergrad there, and although my focus was literature I tutored in the Writing Center and took multiple courses in Rhetoric and Composition theory.

Edited by nhswrestle

Glad to know that I'm not alone in this GRE cramming! The good news is that studying for the GRE has given me a Plan B: if I don't get into any PhD programs, I'm going to create GRE vocabulary flash cards with geek-themed sentences. Here's a sampling:

The Game of Thrones Deck

Even Ned Stark, Robert's oldest and closest friend, was starting to doubt Robert's ability to rule because of the king's increasing obstreperous behavior.

The Buffy Deck

Because Angel had a soul and practiced humane eating practices, he was an anomaly in the vampire community.

The Doctor Who Deck

The Daleks' arrival to a new planet is always pernicious, as they only crave destruction.

A total moneymaker, right?!

And nhswrestle, thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if any questions pop up; if I actually get in, I'm sure I'll harass you thoroughly about the department, the campus, and the community!

Glad to know that I'm not alone in this GRE cramming! The good news is that studying for the GRE has given me a Plan B: if I don't get into any PhD programs, I'm going to create GRE vocabulary flash cards with geek-themed sentences. Here's a sampling:

The Game of Thrones Deck

Even Ned Stark, Robert's oldest and closest friend, was starting to doubt Robert's ability to rule because of the king's increasing obstreperous behavior.

The Buffy Deck

Because Angel had a soul and practiced humane eating practices, he was an anomaly in the vampire community.

The Doctor Who Deck

The Daleks' arrival to a new planet is always pernicious, as they only crave destruction.

A total moneymaker, right?!

And nhswrestle, thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if any questions pop up; if I actually get in, I'm sure I'll harass you thoroughly about the department, the campus, and the community!

I love this!!

You can get caught in a Room k-hole on youtube if you're not careful. They're wonderful stress relievers. I think I'm going to write an article on this movie using Lacanian psychoanalysis.

k-hole, lawl. I'm back, not sure if I'm going to dive in again this year or stick the shallow end of MAs.

Oh hai guys!

Oh The Room. How I look forward to the bi-annual viewings you offer me through the magic of DVDs.

Anyway, I'm very new to the forum, so just wanted to say hello! I'm just finishing up an English Master's at the University of Edinburgh and am hoping to go back to the US for my PhD (I got my BA from Penn).

Just as a guide, is there a minimum/maximum number of schools people typically apply to? I don't want to apply to too many since one of my recommenders has already said he's very busy and hopes he doesn't have to fill out too many forms when submitting his letter...thoughts?

Just as a guide, is there a minimum/maximum number of schools people typically apply to? I don't want to apply to too many since one of my recommenders has already said he's very busy and hopes he doesn't have to fill out too many forms when submitting his letter...thoughts?

Sounds like somebody is hinting for you to use Interfolio. It's expensive, but given the number of schools many of us are applying to, I think it's in good form to respect our LOR writers enough to do this for them. However, it may not be possible for all of us. Just another thing to throw on my credit card.

Regardless, don't apply to fewer schools just because one of your writers doesn't want to submit a bunch of letters. Make sure you do all of the work for them for that you can. For hard copies, print everything and have the envelopes ready with stamps.

I'm applying to at least 12 schools but probably more like 16. I think this is higher end of normal. I wouldn't apply to fewer than 6-8.

Also... hi & welcome!

Edited by asleepawake

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, Im new here and hopefully I am doing this right.

I am applying to English M.A. programs for fall 2013. However, I don't have much language experience, I don't think I could pass a language exam and I did not take any languages in my undergrad. Foolish I know but I was not planning on continuing my education at the time.

Does anyone know of any English programs that do not have a forgein language requirement for their English M.A. programs?

Thank you

Brooke

Does anyone know of any English programs that do not have a forgein language requirement for their English M.A. programs?

Hi Brooke - welcome!

I don't think you'll have much luck finding an MA program that doesn't have a second language requirement, but most programs allow multiple ways of meeting that requirement, such as taking a language course. In fact, most large universities, I think, have intensive/translation/reading classes, typically during summer sessions, specifically for graduate language requirements. Those classes also might be pass/fail, because they're for that language requirement.

So, while it will be some concern for you because you don't have any second-language coursework in your recent history, it shouldn't necessarily be a dead-end. But you should talk to your current professors/advisors about this.

Hey everyone. I have been furiously working on my apps, studying for the GRE etc, as I am sure is the case for all reading this.

I am wondering if anyone is feeling the way I do: one minute I feel confident and sure that I'll get in at least somewhere, and the next minute I feel completely in over my head and that there is no way I will be accepted anywhere.

Is this natural? This process is already killing me and it's not even October, yet alone February or March!!

Hey everyone. I have been furiously working on my apps, studying for the GRE etc, as I am sure is the case for all reading this.

I am wondering if anyone is feeling the way I do: one minute I feel confident and sure that I'll get in at least somewhere, and the next minute I feel completely in over my head and that there is no way I will be accepted anywhere.

Is this natural? This process is already killing me and it's not even October, yet alone February or March!!

Welcome to app season.

Yeah, I feel like the obsessive roller coaster of emotions is fairly typical and to be expected. Just don't do what I have spent the afternoon doing (looking at the boards from February of last cycle).

I have been doing that for the last couple of days. Ugh. Well, at least we're all in company here.

This is SO ME as well! Some days, after meeting with really encouraging professors, I'm like "YAY I totally want to be a literary scholar," and then other days, I'll be working on my WS and not be able to string two sentences together!

Also, a totally random, unrelated question: Are people putting their language strengths in their SOP? Where do those show up? I have taken a French lit class and can speak French well, but I don't want to just arbitrarily stick it somewhere in my SOP...

Also, a totally random, unrelated question: Are people putting their language strengths in their SOP? Where do those show up? I have taken a French lit class and can speak French well, but I don't want to just arbitrarily stick it somewhere in my SOP...

I would put in on the CV, but not in the SOP unless it is relevant to your area of study.

Has everyone finalized their Personal Statements and Writing Samples yet?

Haha no way. My writing sample is going to be a really last minute thing, seeing as it's going to be the product of an in-progress independent study. It should be the best piece of writing I have though. And I've got a rough SOP going, but it needs heavily revised and personalized for each school. I'm already extremely nervous about all of this, and deadlines aren't for another two months...

I'd also like to point out that we 2013 applicants are a very talkative bunch. We're still two months from deadlines, let alone 5+ months from hearing back from schools, and this thread already has hundreds of posts and tens of thousands of views...

Edited by Two Espressos