Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

I'm glad I read this thread before submitting. So for the record: it's preferable to NOT have all that personal stuff, yeah? And it's a limit of 1,000-2,000 still?

According to the person I e-mailed, yes. And I still used my regular 1000-word SoP for them.

For all those who are applying to study at the CSU or UC system or to teach at the community college, CSU, or UC system... you can breathe a sigh of relief. Prop 30, which increases funding for public K-college education in California, passed by a considerable margin.

Today is a good day for higher education in California.

does this mean that there'd be more funding for grad students???

does this mean that there'd be more funding for grad students???

If you're a prospective international student like me, it's hard to say. All the grad chairs I've talked to so far have been very unsure what their budgets will be like (well, in the CSU system.. no idea about UC). Usually Fall deadlines are November 30 but they still aren't closed because of fallout from Prop 30.

I wouldn't say there'll be "more" funding for grad students... if we're lucky, it'll just be the same as previous years since all Prop 30 was trying to achieve was maintain the status quo to avoid triggering massive automatic cuts.

I wouldn't say there'll be "more" funding for grad students... if we're lucky, it'll just be the same as previous years since all Prop 30 was trying to achieve was maintain the status quo to avoid triggering massive automatic cuts.

seconded.

In addition to the peak of application season, it's the end of the semester! So Academic Coach Taylor has two messages for you.

If you are in a teaching capacity:

tumblr_men41noIt21qfu4hro1_500.jpg

If you are in a student capacity:

tumblr_men456gl4q1qfu4hro1_500.jpg

Good luck to all!

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose, you guys.

Hey All:

So, I'm applying to UCLA and Washington University in St. Louis' doctoral programs in English, as well as USC's Creative Writing and Literature PhD program. Decided to say hey and good luck to all. Do you know when these schools notify? I know, I know: I shouldn't be thinking about this just yet, but....

On 12/23/2012 at 6:36 AM, dgrollmus said:

Hey All:

So, I'm applying to UCLA and Washington University in St. Louis' doctoral programs in English, as well as USC's Creative Writing and Literature PhD program. Decided to say hey and good luck to all. Do you know when these schools notify? I know, I know: I shouldn't be thinking about this just yet, but....

Hello nice to meet you. I'm also applying to UCLA. Check the "Results Search" button, and then do a search of the school and you'll see what time schools notified last year. That doesn't mean they will absolutely notify on the same date this year, but normally it's pretty close.

Hello nice to meet you. I'm also applying to UCLA. Check the "Results Search" button, and then do a search of the school and you'll see what time schools notified last year. That doesn't mean they will absolutely notify on the same date this year, but normally it's pretty close.

Thanks, dood. And good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

So this just happened to me: 

My university email service allows for a few words of the body of the email to be read after the subject in your inbox kinda like gmail. I got an email from a school I'm applying to, and I just read, "Dear Blahblahblah, I am happy to inform you..." My heart stopped beating and I opened the email to read "... that your application has been marked complete and our admissions committee will begin reviewing applications at this time. blahblahblah."

SONOFABITCH.

I thought it was really nice. In part because I have trained myself to not expect ANYTHING until Feb 1 at the earliest (God help me on Feb 1 though) and also because that's one fewer school for which I have to double check completeness.

I got the same email, rems. None of my schools notify this early, so I knew it wasn't anything, but it still made me stop and think.

I submitted my last application. Having a little deja vu since I thought I had sent my last app and then decided to send in one more. This one really was the last one.