2012 Decisions

Ling304

I saw similar thread in another forum, and I though it might be nice to start one here. For those of you who made their final decisions, if you care to share, which school are you going to attend?

I also think this would also be a good place to ask for advice or support while making your decision.

I am going to attend Yale (theoretical linguistics), is anyone else here going to attend Yale too?

Congrats to your admission and decision.

I'm going to MIT (linguistics PhD). It was an easy decision for me. I applied to three unis only (two in the US and one in the UK), got two admission offers and one rejection. My other admission offer didn't include financial support in itself - I'd have to wait for the scholarship results until the end of April, after the deadline for accepting or declining offers at MIT. I'm glad I didn't have to think too much about it and MIT was my top choice anyway. So, I feel lucky. :)

Hi!

Congrats to both of you on your admissions! :)

I'll be attending Georgetown (Spanish and Portuguese linguistics Ph.D.)! This was my number one school, so while I was apprehensive about which program I was going to choose initially (thinking I didn't have a chance with Georgetown), as soon as they called to inform me of my acceptance and funding, it was a clear, easy, and instant decision. :D I accepted it in February.

Hi!

I'll be attending Northern Arizona University (Applied Linguistics, MA). Last year I was accepted by Colorado, Boulder, but without any financial support. I'm glad that NAU offered me a teaching assistantship (full tuition remission and a stipend). I applied to 5 US Universities all in all, got admitted by three of them. Two other decisions are still pending (I'm waitlisted by Miami University, OH, MA Rhetoric and Composition; West Virginia, MA Linguistics is just ignoring my e-mails...)

Happy that this application season was successful for me. Since I'm international, I find it really stressful and complicated....

University of Edinburgh for English Language and Linguistics. Keeping my fingers crossed for some funding that might be coming my way.

The phonologist in me is super excited about all the new accents I'll be hearing :)

Just got back from visiting NC State's sociolinguistics program & wow, it was really impressive. I'll probably end up deciding to go there to work with some really great faculty. (Still technically waiting on Georgetown & my waitlist, though.)

University of Edinburgh for English Language and Linguistics. Keeping my fingers crossed for some funding that might be coming my way.

The phonologist in me is super excited about all the new accents I'll be hearing :)

Congrats! That's a really great programme, especially for phonologists. Good luck with your funding - I hope you'll win (at least) one of the awards.

Edited by Cockneysparrow

Congrats! That's a really great programme, especially for phonologists. Good luck with your funding - I hope you'll win (at least) one of the awards.

Thanks, Cockneysparrow! Luckily I'm just going for the M.Sc., so if I am not able to secure much funding it's only one year's worth of fees (I'm still shaking all the money trees I can find though!). I'm really excited for the program, both for the content and faculty, and also for the preparation it will provide for doctoral studies. I'm actually more interested in historical syntax/history of English/sociolinguistics (which their program is also very strong in), but not only are Scottish accents great, but half of the faculty comes from outside of the UK, so there will be plenty of cool accents too!

And congrats to YOU for your MIT acceptance! That must feel amazing :)

Hi Triple Tall Cappuccino, I know you :)

I just discovered this site

I'm going to Cornell and I'm really happy with it, nice department and funding. Due to a prof not having updated his website, I hadn't realized he's working on the exact same thing I'm interested, so it came out as a great surprise when I visited, and I'm very much looking forward to start working. I had thought about other possible POI there.

UConn seems like a great program, but I don't think I'd like to spend 5 years in Storrs -plus other practical matters-, though I hope I can count with the advice of those awesome profs I met. MIT waitlisted me, but that was it, anyways I'm very flattered. I visited JHopkins but realized the program wasn't my thing, ...the museum is awesome btw.

Maryland never replied me, not very polite, but I'm content, I don't want to go where I'm not wanted.

I have a somewhat eclectic academic and life background and very little experience for someone my age shooting that high, so I'm very happy.

Hi everyone! I have not made my final decision yet, so I'm hoping to collect some insights here before April 15th!

I've applied to two terminal M.A. programs, and I have been accepted by both. One is my dream program, but offers no funding at the Master's level. The other is in-state and offers opportunities for funding through graduate assistantships (still waiting on that decision). Even without a graduate assistantship, the in-state school would cost about half the price of the dream school. (Actually, the dream school would be a little more than twice the cost.)

At this point, I am certain that I do not want to pursue a Ph.D. I simply enjoyed my undergrad studies and want to keep learning! My passion is sociolinguistics (which dream school is well regarded for), particularly language policy (language ideologies affecting education for native speakers, dialect awareness, etc.). The in-state school is less sociolinguistically-focused, but it is an English Linguistics program nonetheless.

I simply don't know if an unfunded Master's program for not-well-remunerated field is worth the years (and years and years!) of debt. I think that, should I get a GAship, the experience would help boost my credentials going into the job search. Also, since I'm not planning on pursuing a Ph.D., I'm inclined to think that the prestige of the Master's program is not necessarily as important as it would be if I were planning to pursue an academic career.

Thoughts? I would greatly appreciate them! :)

Hi 100freestyle,

I'm not the most practical person, but, there comes a point in which you have to be reasonable, or try to strike a balance.

What do you want to do with your master when you graduate? Will that type of ideal job pay you enough to pay off debt? What could be the lowest paying job you get? You have to shoot for the highest, but consider both options.

Also, do you have undergrad debt? Is there any chance your family can help you paying for school?

Prestige is great, but not the most important part, the question is who do you want to work with and where is that person? prestige can be misleading, ...so misleading ;) If you work hard, you'll do great anywhere, although clever, nice, and motivated company helps a lot -that's I think is the best feature of good schools, you mingle with the best, and that rubs off.

I must confess that the financial part was important for me, as I do not have my parents or anybody else who can support me here, and I do need to be able to visit at least a year, for the sake of my sanity. Every person's situation and needs are different, be honest with yourself, what you need, what you want, and what you have.

wish you the best.

Thank you, Teka! I did end up getting funded, so it's going to be tough, but you raised good points. Of course, I'm not considering prestige alone--the socio faculty at GU are phenomenal, and living in DC would provide some invaluable life experience. I have some serious reflecting to do over the weekend!

Flying out tonight for a school I got accepted to. 99% certain I'll accept. I just need to see the place and meet the people before committing! So excited & nervous! gaaah! I'll update you guys later this week.

Can't wait to hear how your visit goes, busbus!

I just accepted my offer at NC State yesterday! I'm so excited. I knew it was the right decision when I had a bunch of emails from faculty this morning welcoming me to the department. Feels good! Looking forward to getting started.

I saw similar thread in another forum, and I though it might be nice to start one here. For those of you who made their final decisions, if you care to share, which school are you going to attend?

I also think this would also be a good place to ask for advice or support while making your decision.

I am going to attend Yale (theoretical linguistics), is anyone else here going to attend Yale too?

Congrats for getting into Yale!

I know someone who will be attending Yale... but for psychology... not that relevant though :P

Only applied to one uni here in London, and still waiting for my funding :(

btw, nice thread! :)

Hi everyone. So glad to see that many of you are going to wonderful schools, and more importantly, the school of of your dreams! As for me, I got into Columbia university and Georgetown university for a doctorate degree in applied linguistics ( among others but they are not linguistics). I am 99.9% sure I will be attending Columbia but I would still like to hear comments from other people to push that number to a 100%! ...or 0%? Lol. And if any of you have any advice or comments, plz leave them here :)

I went to Edinburgh for English Language and Linguistics. It's a really great programme. Hope you enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I received and accepted an offer from OSU's Slavic Linguistics MA/PhD program with a GTA a couple of months ago, but then just yesterday and today respectively I also received (unfunded) offers of admission from the University of Minnesota's terminal Linguistics M.A. Program (took them long enough! 5.5. months!) and Tilburg University's Research Master in Language and Communication. I would have absolutely loved to go to Tilburg, as it is perfect for my field, I love Europe, and there are so many great resources in the form of faculty and institutions there. Unfortunately, I don't think it's financially feasible. :( The "immigration fee" alone is 600 Euro. I would much rather live in the Netherlands than in Ohio. Sigh. Plus, it's a terminal MA whereas OSU pretty much accepted me for all the way through PhD.

Edited by what lies ahead

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I was searching for the results of those being accepted, but there was no complete information such as GPA, GRE, TOEFL, ARTICLE, etc. I would appreciate it if you could show what is your scores and where have you been accepted. This way, we can conclude where to apply. Thank you very much in advance. Good Luck!