Is this over-confidence?

margarets

As part of my due diligence for the program I've got my eye on for 2013, I've looked at some of the theses of past grads from the program.

And they were....OK.

I didn't look at them all, just ones that interested me or appeared to have something in common with my thesis topic. Of course I have no idea if I was looking at the best or worst ones, though the sample was pretty random, so it should have been a mix.

Anyway, like I said, they were OK. I wasn't blown away by the brilliance of any of them and in some cases I was definitely unimpressed. No disrespect re: the time and effort it took to do them though.

I've shifted my thinking from "I can probably do this" to "I can TOTALLY do this". It will be a lot of work but well within my intellectual capabilities.

I don't know... perhaps my idea of what graduate work is all about was too high? Like only the super-smarties can do it and their work is always staggeringly original?

Maybe all you need is a good brain, a decent idea and a fair chunk of self-discipline?

Maybe all you need is a good brain, a decent idea and a fair chunk of self-discipline?

Pretty much. Not everybody can contribute an amazingly original idea that changes the field. For every ground breaking method/theory there were hundreds that weren't so important.

Most people overestimate the inspiration that's required for graduate work, and underestimate the perspiration.

You need to have a solid mind, a good grasp of basics, and some original ideas... But that's often overshadowed by the huge mountain of work that you need to slowly chip away at.

You can get a lot farther in graduate work (and even acdemia) by being hard-working and just "pretty sharp" than you can by being brilliant but less motivated.

Most people overestimate the inspiration that's required for graduate work, and underestimate the perspiration.

You need to have a solid mind, a good grasp of basics, and some original ideas... But that's often overshadowed by the huge mountain of work that you need to slowly chip away at.

You can get a lot farther in graduate work (and even acdemia) by being hard-working and just "pretty sharp" than you can by being brilliant but less motivated.

The challenge is, how do we convince them we have what it takes? It's not the work necessary for graduate studies that scares me - it's convincing adcoms that I'm good enough for their program that really ties me in knots.

To margarets, I impart to you two lines of wisdom:

1. Don't knock their theses until you've written a peer-reviewed approved one yourself.
  2. The successful focus for writing a grad schools thesis is contributing strong peer-reviewed knowledge of a specialized type of knowledge, not blowing away people on its impact. The latter may result from the former, but they're not equivalent.

What incoming grad student applicants fail to realize was that a lot of trial and error research occur that lead to the final piece that is an approved thesis, but only the last successful stage of that work appears in the final draft.

To margarets, I impart to you two lines of wisdom:

1. Don't knock their theses until you've written a peer-reviewed approved one yourself.
  2. The successful focus for writing a grad schools thesis is contributing strong peer-reviewed knowledge of a specialized type of knowledge, not blowing away people on its impact. The latter may result from the former, but they're not equivalent.

What incoming grad student applicants fail to realize was that a lot of trial and error research occur that lead to the final piece that is an approved thesis, but only the last successful stage of that work appears in the final draft.

And I think you should back off. You didn't read the theses, you don't know the program or even the university. Or me, for that matter.

"impart" "wisdom"

Please.

I'll add that a chronic problem for me is getting other people to see me as intelligent and competent, with something to contribute. (Interestingly, I did not have this problem in university, it's only in the work world.) It's really strange, because it's not like I don't have accomplishments on my resume, or never initiate anything or make suggestions or successfully complete a project. And I'm VERY certain that my manner, dress, demeanor, etc are professional. At 44, I'm not a kid, and it's obvious. So I don't know what it is. Part of my reason for getting a master's is the idea that I'll be taken more seriously once I have it.

Maybe it is the chip on your shoulder.

Is this over-confidence?

I'd call it arrogance. If you were just overconfident, you would have seen your self-worth without comparing yourself to others, and without stating your equality or superiority with all those whose theses you read (theses which, as you wrote, likely included some of the best, too).

You didn't read the theses, you don't know the program or even the university. Or me, for that matter.

You know how I read this? "You have no idea how brilliant I am!"

From what was quoted above, you seem to think others don't realize how brilliant you are either.

I think getting some help for dealing your insecurities might benefit you more in the long-term than just getting a master's.