What if I don't get in anywhere!?!

asocialpsych

Seeing as there are so many topics for those who've been accepted, I thought I'd start one for those of us feeling rejected or still waiting. I applied to 11 schools, have had 1 interview, and am now wait listed. At this point I'm trying to be realistic and consider my options. While I may reapply next year, I am not fresh out of college and feel I should also start exploring other career paths or masters program. It has always been my opinion that a MA in social psychology isn't that useful, and schools don't seem to think it helps that much with PhD applications anyway. Is anyone else having this dilemma? I'd love to hear what others are thinking of doing in the event that they are rejected everywhere. I know I'm not the only one thinking about this depressing possibility. This can be the pessimists forum.

1. did you apply to safety schools or just top tier/highly ranked programs?

2. if there's something that's particularly weak about your application (e.g, GRE), are you willing to take it again if you believe it's possible to improve your score.

3. i guess there's mixed opinions regarding masters degrees. yes, i've also read about potential advisers that prefer students who have had no masters training in order to "mold" their prospective students. although i can see that as a possibility, i don't think most potential advisers would look negatively on students who have sought prior training by earning a masters; these students, if successful in their masters programs, demonstrate that they can handle graduate level coursework (content, and, more important in my eyes, graduate level statistics and research methods) as well an ability to write (i.e., their masters thesis). what do i know though? i'm not even an official grad student yet. however, if you do decide to get a masters and continue to a PhD, you'll most likely be unfunded during your masters degree and you will probably not be able to transfer most of your coursework to your doctoral program (this can vary). that means 2 years as masters student (hopefully) and anywhere from 4 (let's say you get 1 year of coursework reduced) to 5/6 (the average for PhD programs) additional years to get your PhD.

4. as for different career opportunities, you are interested in social psych, so have you considered a terminal masters program such as i-o psychology that could possibly fit your research interests? from my experience of working with i-o psychologists (my undergrad mentor is one) and having taken some coursework in it, a lot of i-o psychology is simply social psychology applied to the workplace. i don't want to step on anyone's toes, but, IN GENERAL, a terminal i-o degree (applied work) is going to be a better investment than a research masters if the masters degree is your final stop. i considered i-o once, but i don't think it's my thing. but if you're looking for a masters that can offer a good financial prospect and if you're really adamant on getting a graduate degree, it's a great option--"get money, get paid."

I've definitely been feeling this way. I applied to 5 schools and have been rejected from 2 (one was my 1st choice)...and I think I'm waitlisted for one. If I don't get in I'm probably going to continue working in my prof's lab and either turn my internship into a paid job (it's research related) or find a new job. And I'm probably retaking the GRE. But I was thinking today (though it's been a bad day) that if I don't get in, I'm only going to reapply one more time (this is my first try) and if that doesn't work then I'm changing my career focus. I'll probably rethink that last part but that's the plan so far. But yes definitely feeling pessimistic about this whole thing.

Don't necessarily discount a master's education. I'm currently finishing up my my M.A. in experimental psychology at highly ranked master's program. If you find a good master's program, it can really boost my application. I know compared to my application two years ago, I am much better off.

Besides, don't give up yet. There is still time, and if all else fails, you can just re-apply next year. Psych grad programs are pretty competitive, and getting at least an interview should indicate to you that your application is not that bad. If anything, adding to it will only increase your odds next year.

Be patient, and good luck!

Re: Master's Programs

There are master's programs that focus on experimental psychology (not just coursework) and also fund students with TA/RAships just like PhD programs (See Wake Forest and William and Mary programs). Coming out of one of those programs you are more likely to get a good offer, and they usually have high rates of acceptance to top PhD programs. The coursework also tends to transfer, but that varies by what program you apply and get accepted into. If you are serious about getting a PhD in psychology, these types of programs will help you get where you need to be, and most likely can spring-board you into a better program than you would've gotten into the first time around.

Thanks for all the advice! It's good to know others are feeling the same way. I'm thinking if I reapply next year, it will be to a variety of terminal masters programs (possibly in totally different fields) and some social psych programs. I'm 27 and don't really like the idea of spending an extra 2 years getting a masters first since I'll then been in my mid 30's by the time I even start my career. Ugh.

A toast to all those still in wait for their grad school in shining armor to come bounding up riding a white stallion!

4. as for different career opportunities, you are interested in social psych, so have you considered a terminal masters program such as i-o psychology that could possibly fit your research interests? from my experience of working with i-o psychologists (my undergrad mentor is one) and having taken some coursework in it, a lot of i-o psychology is simply social psychology applied to the workplace. i don't want to step on anyone's toes, but, IN GENERAL, a terminal i-o degree (applied work) is going to be a better investment than a research masters if the masters degree is your final stop. i considered i-o once, but i don't think it's my thing. but if you're looking for a masters that can offer a good financial prospect and if you're really adamant on getting a graduate degree, it's a great option--"get money, get paid."

Yeah, one of the reasons I was so interested in I/O in the first place is it lets you do research in both a social psych way and also in a cog psych way... Borrow a couple introductory I/O textbooks and see what you may be interested in.

I think the most annoying part for me is that schools don't just hurry up and officially reject me. Instead I'm just told that, no, I haven't been invited to interview, and they'll be sending out decisions in a few weeks. Does anyone know anyone who hasn't been invited for an interview but somehow was admitted anyway?

I'm feeling the same way. Although I haven't submit my applications yet since I'm taking my GRE next month. I'm afraid my Rec isn't strong enough, my SOP isn't strong enough, my grades is too mediocre....or my 1 year research isn't all that. >.<......and I constantly ask myself, if I applied and get rejected everywhere what am I gonna do for my future....I am applying to 2 of each... safety/match/reach/...I'm going for General Psych Masters....I don't mean to be pessimistic, but just want a reality check on myself....

Has anyone read the "Getting In A step-by-step plan for gaining admission to graduate school in psychology". I think it's really helpful. Except it talks more about ph.D applicants.