Rutgers

Spytgale1

Starting this thread for everyone attending Rutgers this fall. Not alot of activity involving Rutgers on this site. Hopefully we can get something started on the housing hunt, issues, concerns, observations, etc. !

• 10 months later...

Bump to the new year.

Anyone else looking to go to Rutgers? I'm still waiting on funding to make final decision. I'm thinking I should know by Tuesday when I meet with the program director.

However, my SO and I have already started to look at real estate in <gulp> New Jersey. But the school has so many resources and doing research that really interests me.

Hey, I actually was told that I am still in the running but a decision hasn't been made..I guess there are funding issues...Do you guys have an experience with this?
They've told me the same thing for comp lit.

Ditto for Education PhD. I was told that a lot of students attending on RA or GA, lost funding due to grants ending and the school is commited to funding those students before taking on new ones. I was also told that the Dean of the college would be making a decision by the end of this week.

I have been accepted to Rutgers History Phd Program for this fall. I'm still waiting to hear back from one more school before I make my final decision. I visited the campus/department in February and really enjoyed it! 

Just a sidenote/PSA:

The worst part about New Jersey is all the people who bitch about New Jersey. They make me want to dial whine one one and get a WAAAAHmbulance asap. NJ is actually pretty normal and alright in terms of places in the US you could live. Oh, and the traffic on some roads is also pretty terrible, but I don't think it's worse than other places I've lived (i.e. major cities elsewhere).

tl;dr: RU is a'ight

Just been finally accepted! Wanted to ask you all (especially those who will be TA's...do some students live in NYC? Is this allowed, I know some schools want you to be that State's resident for tuition waiver purposes, however they didn't mention anything about that...apart from the general commuting issue, is this allowed?

Appreciate all responses!

Just been finally accepted! Wanted to ask you all (especially those who will be TA's...do some students live in NYC? Is this allowed, I know some schools want you to be that State's resident for tuition waiver purposes, however they didn't mention anything about that...apart from the general commuting issue, is this allowed?

Appreciate all responses!

I know that in the program I'll be attending, some upper year grad students move to NYC after coursework is over. I imagine it would be really expensive to have to commute from New Brunswick to NYC more than a couple of times a week. So, it should be allowed even though it's definitely not the most economically feasible option.

• 1 month later...

I've heard that Highland Park is the best place for grad students to live.

I'm so excited to get a feel for the city! Any good coffee/tea shops? I need to find a nice cozy spot to hunker down and read... for the next five years.... 

• 1 month later...

I'm starting a Phd in History this fall semester. Just moved into Highland Park about two weeks ago, very nice (expensive) and in close walking/biking distance to my building on College Ave.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate posting... but I'm not having much luck with craigslist so I thought I'd try gradcafe. (Mods, please let me know if this is inappropriate or posted in the wrong forum! I will remove the post accordingly)

I'll be leaving the East Coast for the West soon, and am trying to unload various items. One of these is my bike, craigslist ad linked here.

If there are any new PhDs in the Rutgers area, please PM me and I'll give you a "special gradcafe" price on the bike as a fellow PhD student. I also have a new (used only once) Kryptonite lock with all original keys and warranty information, as well as a helmet to be packaged if needed.