Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I'm going for the same; I have heard that you have to rewrite your essays in German as well. Not sure where that comes up in the time line though.

Last year, we were sent on 26. January an email from Cara Doble requesting that we fill out a supplemental application (ranking our Bundesländer, filling out a form), which included rewriting the essays into German. It was due by 27. February via mail in Germany. If you've already had to rank the Bundesländer but didn't have to rewrite your essays, you may not have to--it's possible that they changed the requirements.

I have a question that I hope somebody here can answer.

When I was writing my Fulbright essays, I mentioned that I would be taking a class in teaching English as a foreign language based on information given on my university's website.  Well, it turns out, that the university isn't offering that course in the spring! It is offering a similar course (I think!) called History and Structure of the English Language for Teachers that I could take - however, my schedule is already pretty full.  I wonder if I sent in my official transcript to Fulbright and it showed that for my courses in progress that I wasn't taking a related course if it would be detrimental? I emphasized my creative writing skills in my essay and how I wanted to bring creative thought to the classroom and am taking a writing course and creative writing course next semester.  Not to mention, I took linguistics and creative writing this past semester.  I am just concerned about what I specifically said in my essays do not match up with what I have specifically on my transcripts.  Does anybody have any insight? I applied for an ETA, by the way.

I have other teaching experiences outside of learning it in the classroom via various community service positions that I have also highlighted in my essays. 

In my application, I also mentioned a similar situation. I was planning to take a Teaching ESOL class, but ended up dropping the class. I was recommended, designated as an alternate, and then ultimately promoted to selected, so I honestly don't think it had any bearing on my application. You will be fine.

Hi everyone! Germany ETA finalist/long time lurker here, first time posting.

I haven't kept up with this post 100%, so forgive me if this has already been asked, but my FPA told me back in October that I should definitely NOT rank the Bundesländer, but rather leave it blank, because it will otherwise lower my chances. Has anyone else heard this? I read the e-mail today and it said that it would not affect the outcome, but I am still hesitant!

Thoughts?

Rank them. Like others have said, I doubt Fulbright would intentionally mislead you. If it's possible (maybe you have already said this in your application) make note somewhere that while you are MOST interested in the Bundesländer you list, you would be happy placed anywhere. What I did last year was rank my top two (Berlin and Bayern) and enter XX for the third one, and also expressed that I was flexible regarding location.

Best of luck to all of you!

Last year, we were sent on 26. January an email from Cara Doble requesting that we fill out a supplemental application (ranking our Bundesländer, filling out a form), which included rewriting the essays into German. It was due by 27. February via mail in Germany. If you've already had to rank the Bundesländer but didn't have to rewrite your essays, you may not have to--it's possible that they changed the requirements.

That's interesting -- I haven't heard anything since Cara e-mailed us a few weeks ago asking us to select our top 3 Bundesländer, so maybe I'll check on that with her tomorrow. The Bundesländer selection was all online, so it does sound like they're changing some aspects of the application process from last year.

Back again. Not sure if anyone else is doing a Russia app on here, but I figured I'd post what I learned. After my lang interview, I asked my interviewer when answers will go out, and she said they're hoping to have their list ready to send to the US on March 1, but of course that it could be later. So, Russia applicants, hopefully just a little over a month to wait!

Does anybody know where applications are sent for those who are participating in smaller programs? I applied for an ETA position in Georgia and I do not think there is a specific Fulbright commission there. Would anybody happen to know where the application is sent instead? 

Does anybody know where applications are sent for those who are participating in smaller programs? I applied for an ETA position in Georgia and I do not think there is a specific Fulbright commission there. Would anybody happen to know where the application is sent instead? 

The embassy will likely be in charge but you should just check the Fulbright website for your country. It should say there.

So I e-mailed my FPA and it turns that I was reccommended for the Czech Republic and that I did not request placement in several countries (which would violate the ETA application guidelines). I don't know how it works, but in the application you were allowed to select up to 3 countries in regions that have a low applicant pool (for what ever reason that is). Apparently, since I was not required to switch to a Full Grant, I was automatically considered for my first pick; Czech Republic. However, that obviously means that I am only in consideration for 1 country, now (which is really how it is supposed to be). I am not going to be placed in multiple countries and I am currently a finalist for only one. So, I hope this brings light to the situation.

I don't know if this is really cleared up, but I do remember reading about this. I applied to Austria, but I'm also obsessed with Eastern Europe, so I noticed. Specifically, Eastern (and apparently part of central) Europe ETA allows you to choose up to 3 countries because the studies in those areas often are extremely intermingled, as well as the language skills required. I thought briefly about heading in that direction because it allows for a broader "eastern europe" application. A unique situation.

FYI Germany ETA applicants -- just e-mailed Cara and we do not have to do the additional application with the PAD:

"The requirements for the ETA to Germany have changed.  We only need you to submit your top three preferences for Bundesland placement, of [sic] you have a preference."

So there you go, in case you are like me and were beginning to wonder if you should have received something additional by now :)

I don't know if anyone else was looking to confirm there transcripts making it to IIE, but I just called them. I was told that they do not confirm individual transcripts but they will get into touch with you if their missing.

My UK friends, I haven't heard anything either! Listen, if three of us haven't heard anything yet, than I really thing it means they haven't sent out e-mails about the phone interviews.

HANG IN THERE! I for one, am kind of a nervous wreck but we made it this far, let's stay strong!!!!!!

love and light!!!! 

I don't know if anyone else was looking to confirm there transcripts making it to IIE, but I just called them. I was told that they do not confirm individual transcripts but they will get into touch with you if their missing.

Thanks I've be wondering about this and I was planning on calling IIE next week. Seems weird though that they couldn't send out a transcript received email, oh well. 

FYI Germany ETA applicants -- just e-mailed Cara and we do not have to do the additional application with the PAD:

"The requirements for the ETA to Germany have changed.  We only need you to submit your top three preferences for Bundesland placement, of [sic] you have a preference."

So there you go, in case you are like me and were beginning to wonder if you should have received something additional by now :)

:D

I know I need to practice, but I am actually quite relieved to hear that!! Thanks!!!!

But they could email everyone their recommended status... That's even more people to email.

Yes, I think they should email us letting us know when they have received our transcripts. I was referring to everyone calling to confirm status.. which, obviously they wouldn't have to do if they just emailed :P

Literally, every morning from 6 am to 12 noon (end of the day London time) I feel vaguely sick. I guess we will know soon enough! 

On the fulbright uk website it says the following: 

28 January 2013 - 15 February 2013

Between these dates UK Fulbright Award select candidates will be notified on their opportunity to interview for their Fulbright Award.

Haha okay, so I was right- it might not be till next week. Keep your chin up! Your chances are much higher now, you're only competing against the people who applied for the same award as you if you went for a partnership award.

Hi everyone, quick, very broad question--does anyone know the sort of content of the language interviews? (I'm specifically doing Russian.) I was just wondering if it's like an interview would be for any standard application--describe yourself, why do you want to do this program, etc.--or if it's more focused just on making sure you understand and speak the language. If anyone has experience. :) and in any case, good luck to everyone interviewing. 

(Also, anyone else on here applying to Russia?)

I applied to for a Russian ETA and have my interview this Sunday night. I'm so nervous! 

A few weeks ago I found a forum on the website "reddit" that offered advice from past ETA participants in Russia. It's a long thread but if you search "interview" they offer at least a little insight into the types of things they were asked! 

http://www.neckbeard.ca/r/IAmA/comments/15bxfo/iama_group_of_fulbright_fellows_living_teaching/

Are you (and any other Russian ETA applicants) doing your interview on the phone or via skype? I chose phone because I figured it would be easier to come across confident (and to have notes in front of me). I've taken four years of college level Russian but I am still not very confident conversationally and so this is definitely the most nerve wracking part of the process for me. 

Can everyone email application information to Fulbright2013.2014@gmail.com if you haven't already?

I'm working on update the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE&pli=1#gid=1

Everyone who has not submitted info, please send it via personal message to me on this website. It would be most convenient. 

Edited by Books2readme