Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

To UK partnership folks:  So the partnership award does not make it clear that they will pay for all our educational expenses ( Tuition + Fees).  Anyone know otherwise? 

I think it depends entirely on the individual school/grant- like mine would be tuition/fees all waived, plus 15k (10k like everyone else +5k for a thesis project).

Is there a way to search through this forum? I forgot to respond to someone and feel like a really jerky guy. Also: to the Japan scholar at Wisconsin: sorry. And it turns out that I won't be heading up there for the LCA program though every time I visit Madison I get swept away in fantasies about living there.

It's the Madison guy. No problem! Good luck wherever you end up. 

I followed up with my FPA. She thinks it will be after or during my spring break (essentially, not next week, but the week after).

So not happy right now.

Seriously? Ok in that case I really need to work harder to put this out of my mind for a while because this suspense is a killer

Hey ya'll! 2011-2012 Germany ETAer here. 

I know this tough place of anxiousness you all are in extremely well. It's quite the nerve destroyer! I was actually in Germany when my letter of acceptance came. Twas quite the experience asking my Momma to type out the German on Facebook. :) Or to beg my sister to go and check the mail box.

Hold on a little bit longer! For the Germany ETA folks, if ya'll have any questions, feel free to PM me! I'd love to help.

Why is everybody so upset? It's not like this decision affects are future in any way. 

Hahaha!

Anyone hear anything about impact of sequestration on Fulbright? I'm hearing from reliable sources it's having a much greater impact than we have been told.

Edited by SyrRg

Anyone hear anything about impact of sequestration on Fulbright? I'm hearing from reliable sources it's having a much greater impact than we have been told.

People at IIE didn't seem to be worrying too much; who's your reliable source?

Edit: their words: "We are anticipating small cuts to the Fulbright budget due to the sequester, but the majority of awards should be issued as planned."

Edited by nainalerom

I know this tough place of anxiousness you all are in extremely well. It's quite the nerve destroyer!

Thanks for your support/encouragement!

Interesting, could you elaborate?

I've been trying to think of something worthwhile to add to this discussion, but all I want to say in response to Anon 314 is:

Me too...

I'm leaving for 10 days in Germany next week... I had thought for sure I would hear back before I left but now it feels like everything is still up in the air. sigh.

"Reliable sources"? I don't have any reliable sources about the effect of sequestration, but I would be interested to know what reliable sources you have. 

I looked at the spreadsheet of notifications for last year, and so far (if I recall correctly) only two or maybe three countries had sent decisions by this date last year. 

Anyone having trouble focusing on absolutely everything? I swear I just sit in lectures and space out the entire time.

Yup..... I swear I've read this review packet like 5 times and haven't processed a word of it...

Anyone having trouble focusing on absolutely everything? I swear I just sit in lectures and space out the entire time.

Completely with you. I have accepted now that I won't find out until April. So, I am now living vicariously through you guys that should find out this month.

I know this tough place of anxiousness you all are in extremely well. It's quite the nerve destroyer! I was actually in Germany when my letter of acceptance came. Twas quite the experience asking my Momma to type out the German on Facebook. :) Or to beg my sister to go and check the mail box.

Hold on a little bit longer! For the Germany ETA folks, if ya'll have any questions, feel free to PM me! I'd love to help.

Hahaha!

I might have some questions for you once I find out whether or not I get the ETA, otherwise, they will probably be a bit premature! Care to stick around? :)

Although I am waiting to hear about a teacher exchange, everything else in the process (including checking this board and my email 75x per day) has been very similar to what you all are going through. I'm supposed to hear in "Early April" if I've been matched in the UK.

This is what I got from IIE regarding the sequester:

"As you are aware, several federal agencies, including the U.S. Department of State, are still awaiting important funding decisions. Regardless of these final decisions, the selection and matching process for the Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program is still underway."

Edited by Mathlete

People at IIE didn't seem to be worrying too much; who's your reliable source?

Edit: their words: "We are anticipating small cuts to the Fulbright budget due to the sequester, but the majority of awards should be issued as planned."

Although I am waiting to hear about a teacher exchange, everything else in the process (including checking this board and my email 75x per day) has been very similar to what you all are going through. I'm supposed to hear in "Early April" if I've been matched in the UK.

This is what I got from IIE regarding the sequester:

"As you are aware, several federal agencies, including the U.S. Department of State, are still awaiting important funding decisions. Regardless of these final decisions, the selection and matching process for the Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program is still underway."

I have been lurking since early last week (Fulbright Russia, research applicant). I was originally told during my interview in early February that the internal deadline was March 1st, and that I should hear back in mid to late March, even though historically the announcements for Russia have been in early April.

I currently work on a similar program for another USG agency. While I took the information provided by Fulbright Russia to heart, I know first-hand that things can change quickly in the current budgetary climate. From what I am reading in the direct quotes from reps at the IIE, it seems these somewhat canned responses are, in fact, an indication that the programs are being affected this year.

If you read between the lines, the fact that they're even mentioning the funding issues means to me that it really is an issue. The generic second sentence/part is so obvious that it's trivial. It's important to ask what "small cuts," "important funding decisions," and "majority of awards" really mean, as well as how they're planning on dealing with them. I don't imagine we'll get an answer to those questions right now. That's where the awkwardness and limbo kick in.

Should we freak out? Yes, because that's always the right decision.

Prepare for the worst; hope for the best.

Edited by funkmastalex

I have been lurking since early last week (Fulbright Russia, research applicant). I was originally told during my interview in early February that the internal deadline was March 1st, and that I should hear back in mid to late March, even though historically the announcements for Russia have been in early April.

I currently work on a similar program for another USG agency. While I took the information provided by Fulbright Russia to heart, I know first-hand that things can change quickly in the current budgetary climate. From what I am reading in the direct quotes from reps at the IIE, it seems these somewhat canned responses are, in fact, an indication that the programs are being affected this year.

If you read between the lines, the fact that they're even mentioning the funding issues means to me that it really is an issue. The generic second sentence/part is so obvious that it's trivial. It's important to ask what "small cuts," "important funding decisions," and "majority of awards" really mean, as well as how they're planning on dealing with them. I don't imagine we'll get an answer to those questions right now. That's where the awkwardness and limbo kick in.

Should we freak out? Yes, because that's always the right decision.

Prepare for the worst; hope for the best.

The fulbright Russia petition was done by a bunch of students who don't know anything about how cuts will be made. Edited by nainalerom