Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I don't know much about the full grant program, or about host affiliations, and the person who I'm about to reference did a Fulbright like 10 years ago or something...so definitely take all that I'm about to say with a huge grain of salt.

Anyway, one of my professors said that after you are accepted into the program, what you do doesn't really matter that much. Not to say it doesn't matter, but that they figure you're motivated enough to do something, so if your plans change somewhat from your proposal (in terms of what your project exactly entails) you're not going to be penalized. It's more for you, and for the experience...and most projects usually change once you start working on them regardless (perhaps this is more true for a humanities project like she did, but still).

Point being, I would assume that they would have some flexibility with your project, if not also the location. I don't know how much information they gave you in the original e-mail and/or if/when they plan to send you more, but I would definitely try to contact someone and let them know that there are other labs you might be interested in working with, and if so, what would be the best way to go about that. They can't help you if they don't know!

From what I knew about my friend who did a full grant in Budapest, this is very true. He had a ton of flexibility to do as he pleased; all he had to do was write up his research at the end of his grant to basically prove he did SOMETHING.

I'll mostly just be around the north, Göttigen/Hamburg areas.
That's awesome! My friend is there right now. Have loads of fun and have lots of German coffee for me(assuming you like coffee of course).

Crushed...alternate to Germany full grant..ouch

Anyone know how many alternates are generally selected..?

My FPA said about 1/3...not sure if it varies from country to country, but I was fairly surprised that it's that high

My FPA said about 1/3...not sure if it varies from country to country, but I was fairly surprised that it's that high

Well, that certainly isn't comforting haha.

Who's going to join me in the wait for the DAAD scholarship? Best of luck to all the grantees!

Crushed...alternate to Germany full grant..ouch   Anyone know how many alternates are generally selected..?
This is by no means the end! Don't ever give up :) wishing you the best!

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I found out today that I received an ETA to Bulgaria!  I'm looking forward to being able to check my email without wanting to puke from being so anxious.  Best of luck to you all (even though I know that doesn't help the anxiety!)!

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I found out today that I received an ETA to Bulgaria!  I'm looking forward to being able to check my email without wanting to puke from being so anxious.  Best of luck to you all (even though I know that doesn't help the anxiety!)!

Congrats! That is wonderful news!! Good luck on your Fulbright adventure!

Congrats! What is your side project?