Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Yup, it's country dependent. For my country (Germany) it says the start date on the country profile on the Fulbright website (where you would have originally gotten your guidelines for applying). For mine, it's September, but could be different for you. Does it not say? I would see if you can find any blogs online from former grantees for that country and ask them if they know. You could also contact the regional coordinator at IIE for Russia.

You are completely right! I tried actually reading the website, gasp, and found it. Thanks very much.

Hey YOU! Where have you been?

Heya, I got a little frustrated with some people on here complaining about the randomness of the thread so I left. I am sad that I only got an alternate but happy that they didn't just chuck my application entirely! I am pretty bummed but on the other hand I can start my PhD work with my cohort in the fall. 

Hmmm, no matter how much 'look on the bright side' I try to do I am still just bummed...  :unsure:  ahh well, there is still hope right?  Right? 

Heya, I got a little frustrated with some people on here complaining about the randomness of the thread so I left. I am sad that I only got an alternate but happy that they didn't just chuck my application entirely! I am pretty bummed but on the other hand I can start my PhD work with my cohort in the fall. 

Hmmm, no matter how much 'look on the bright side' I try to do I am still just bummed...  :unsure:  ahh well, there is still hope right?  Right? 

Yeah, I got frustrated with that, too. I didn't mind so much that some were asking to have a thread just for results, but the rudeness was unwarranted. But whatever, not going to stop me. The whole point of all of this is fostering communication and relationships, right? Not just cross culturally!! If I had a lot going on right now, I might have taken a step back from the board but it is one of the few things keeping me sane!!

I am really sad to hear you got alt status. I think this is the first I have heard of this.. did you post about it earlier? I would have a  hard time posting that, too. I don't blame you for being bummed, alt status is much more stressful than a flat out no! But you are right, there is still hope!! At this point, i think the best answer I will probably get is an alt status.. so. I am trying to prepare myself, lol!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that.  There is still hope! You still have a chance. 

Yeah, I got frustrated with that, too. I didn't mind so much that some were asking to have a thread just for results, but the rudeness was unwarranted. But whatever, not going to stop me. The whole point of all of this is fostering communication and relationships, right? Not just cross culturally!! If I had a lot going on right now, I might have taken a step back from the board but it is one of the few things keeping me sane!!

I am really sad to hear you got alt status. I think this is the first I have heard of this.. did you post about it earlier? I would have a  hard time posting that, too. I don't blame you for being bummed, alt status is much more stressful than a flat out no! But you are right, there is still hope!! At this point, i think the best answer I will probably get is an alt status.. so. I am trying to prepare myself, lol!

Don't see the point of having a thread for just results, since we have the excel spreadsheet which lays things out very nicely and more organized than trying to go through the entire thread to see when people got notified! Just my two cents though I don't care either way either. :) I guess I must have joined the party after this discussion already happened because I didn't see it.

Heya, I got a little frustrated with some people on here complaining about the randomness of the thread so I left. I am sad that I only got an alternate but happy that they didn't just chuck my application entirely! I am pretty bummed but on the other hand I can start my PhD work with my cohort in the fall.    Hmmm, no matter how much 'look on the bright side' I try to do I am still just bummed...  :unsure:  ahh well, there is still hope right?  Right? 
I must have missed the complaining...hope that doesn't happen. People should feel welcomed. This is supposed to be a community after all, no need to get all elitist on one another.

Don't see the point of having a thread for just results, since we have the excel spreadsheet which lays things out very nicely and more organized than trying to go through the entire thread to see when people got notified! Just my two cents though I don't care either way either. :) I guess I must have joined the party after this discussion already happened because I didn't see it.

Yeah, it was quite a few pages back.. A bunch of us had just been shooting the shit and someone came in saying something to the extent of "Wow, this forum blew up. 4 pages of nonsense. I hope you guys don't do this every day." And kept telling us to stop being so anxious. I'm like.. telling me not to be anxious makes me MORE ANXIOUS. lol. But whatever. I have  no problem with two threads. Do whatever. Just don't stop me from getting to know some other applicants!!

Yeah, it was quite a few pages back.. A bunch of us had just been shooting the shit and someone came in saying something to the extent of "Wow, this forum blew up. 4 pages of nonsense. I hope you guys don't do this every day." And kept telling us to stop being so anxious. I'm like.. telling me not to be anxious makes me MORE ANXIOUS. lol. But whatever. I have  no problem with two threads. Do whatever. Just don't stop me from getting to know some other applicants!!

Yeah, I mean, I can understand how people would be annoyed with the chatter if this was the only place to find out about notifications. But the best place is the Excel spreadsheet (see in my signature for people who didn't know). It's way better than the thread for that anyways. :)

I must have missed the complaining...hope that doesn't happen. People should feel welcomed. This is supposed to be a community after all, no need to get all elitist on one another.

I wouldn't say it was elitist, and it wasn't just one person. Some people were jsut saying that they only check back every once in a while, aznd it can be hard to wade through all the conversations to find who has heard results. Someone was upset about their inbox being filled from notifications from our posts. I think most people are fine with the conversation. The weird thing is, some of those most vocally against the chatter have still been lurking around this thread... So I guess they don't mind the conversation all that much, after all! *shrug*

:( Wow. *hugs* that is so rough. I'm really sorry. I told someone else here this earlier, but I'll tell you, too. If it means anything, if I were on the Fulbright board.. YOU WOULD TOTALLY HAVE IT!! yeah. I know, that doesn't do much for you :(

UPVOTE! Yeah!! 

Go Team Go! 

Yeah, that was a little irritating.  I like the general feeling of camaraderie on this board.  

Yeah, that was a little irritating.  I like the general feeling of camaraderie on this board.  

ha. It's kind of like.. Hey, are you depressed?? Why are you depressed? Being depressed is dumb! You should just not be depressed!! Oh, right, I'll just stop that, then, shall I ? :huh:

It's not really the same, but that's what it made me think of!

Edited by there'sanappforthat

And hey, just throwin' it out there to the ETA's:

I am a current ESL teacher and taught in France for two years as an English assistant in the same program Fulbright uses, but I applied to and worked directly for the French government. Ask me anything, anytime.

I wouldn't say it was elitist, and it wasn't just one person. Some people were jsut saying that they only check back every once in a while, aznd it can be hard to wade through all the conversations to find who has heard results. Someone was upset about their inbox being filled from notifications from our posts. I think most people are fine with the conversation. The weird thing is, some of those most vocally against the chatter have still been lurking around this thread... So I guess they don't mind the conversation all that much, after all! *shrug*

Hääääääääh? Oh well, carry on with the convo! :) it's not illegal to chat ;)

Edited by Miss_Lady

And hey, just throwin' it out there to the ETA's:

I am a current ESL teacher and taught in France for two years as an English assistant in the same program Fulbright uses, but I applied to and worked directly for the French government. Ask me anything, anytime.

Sweet! AMA time!

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck??

But seriously, I wonder how one would track down similar programs in other countries?

Heya, I got a little frustrated with some people on here complaining about the randomness of the thread so I left. I am sad that I only got an alternate but happy that they didn't just chuck my application entirely! I am pretty bummed but on the other hand I can start my PhD work with my cohort in the fall.    Hmmm, no matter how much 'look on the bright side' I try to do I am still just bummed...  :unsure:  ahh well, there is still hope right?  Right? 
Never give up! Just think, there are people out there who got a flat out "no". It might not be as certain as you want it to be, but you still have a chance. Keep your chin up. Best of luck!