Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Malaysia checking in...

Looking at the spreadsheet, there are about ten of us or so who have made a presence here. I was comforted somewhat with 70 less people applying, but that was offset by the ambiguity behind the sequester. There will also be less than 75 grants available assuming some of the people from this year stay on for a second year, though this may be unlikely since they just arrived in country 6 weeks ago or so.

I am also a finalist for another program, my second choice, and if they notify me of a placement, I have 3 days to decide. I really hope that doesn't happen as I would be between a rock and a hard place of potentially turning down one program while waiting for Fulbright, only to have the possibility of not receiving a Fulbright either. If it does happen, I'm going to reach out to whoever I can to see what the timeline is for decision releases.

Not sure if you browsed their website, but here is a list of their staff: http://www.macee.org.my/about/macee-staffs/. If a brave soul once to contact them and bypass IIE, go for it? I'm not messing with it unless I hear back from the other program and am on a tight timeline.

Congratulations to those who have heard, and happy waiting for those of us in admissions purgatory.

I'm ETA as well (and I've also been stalking this board for months - afraid to say anything and jinx myself).

Ughh I know! I had myself so worked up thinking we would find out yesterday and now I can't focus on anything. I just hope we find out soon either way, the May 28th notification from the 11-12 cycle scares the bejeebers out of me.

Oh hell, I didn't even see the 11-12 cycle dates... I reallllly REALLY hope we hear before then.

I didn't even realize that current ETA's could extend their term! That's a pretty sweet deal actually.. well, not for us I suppose.. but I, too was feeling confident with the decrease in applicants this year.  I've actually been following a few blogs of ETA's who started their term in January.  It's quite the time-consumer, but oh how it feeds my wanderlust...

@BlueLightSpecial- You've got quite the conundrum! I certainly hope we hear good news soon & you aren't put in that most precarious situation!  I'm actually spending the summer in Spain as an "au pair" (basically just living with the family & refining the children's conversational English while I learn Spanish), and I'm scheduled to leave May 28th.  Do you happen to know how if there is a pre-departure conference over the summer, and if so, when exactly would it take place? I haven't been able to find any information on that, and was actually considering emailing the MACEE folks for that very reason (and perhaps nonchalantly hinting at whether or not they know when we'll be notified)  ;)

While desperately researching answers to such questions one day, I did stumble upon this "pre-depature handbook". I'm not sure how up to date it is, but it has certainly given me a better understanding of what life would be like:

http://eca.state.gov/files/bureau/malaysia-predeparture-handbook-27apr.pdf

Edited by r0manar0und

Oh hell, I didn't even see the 11-12 cycle dates... I reallllly REALLY hope we hear before then.

I didn't even realize that current ETA's could extend their term! That's a pretty sweet deal actually.. well, not for us I suppose.. but I, too was feeling confident with the decrease in applicants this year.  I've actually been following a few blogs of ETA's who started their term in January.  It's quite the time-consumer, but oh how it feeds my wanderlust...

@BlueLightSpecial- You've got quite the conundrum! I certainly hope we hear good news soon & you aren't put in that most precarious situation!  I'm actually spending the summer in Spain as an "au pair" (basically just living with the family & refining the children's conversational English while I learn Spanish), and I'm scheduled to leave May 28th.  Do you happen to know how if there is a pre-departure conference over the summer, and if so, when exactly would it take place? I haven't been able to find any information on that, and was actually considering emailing the MACEE folks for that very reason (and perhaps nonchalantly hinting at whether or not they know when we'll be notified)  ;)

While desperately researching answers to such questions one day, I did stumble upon this "pre-depature handbook". I'm not sure how up to date it is, but it has certainly given me a better understanding of what life would be like:

http://eca.state.gov/files/bureau/malaysia-predeparture-handbook-27apr.pdf

It's one of those situations where I feel very fortunate to be in the position I am in. The other program has an acceptance rate around 10%, so in some ways it is more selective/competitive than Fulbright. Nevertheless, if I got an offer from them, it would represent an opportunity cost of about $20,000 in lost wages as I am currently employed fulltime by the state. That program would start in July or so and isn't as subsidized as Fulbright. Plus, if neither work out, I have the comfort of job security in something that I currently enjoy greatly. I don't envy you recent and soon-to-be graduates...

I'm not sure how their departure stuff works other than they met with the Embassey people in KL at the end of January, presumably when they arrived. My guess is we wouldn't be doing anything until then. The Fulbright Facebook had some pictures and such about it.

Couldn't hurt to e-mail them and ask.

Also, that is an awesome resource. Nice find. (Wow, a number of things they talked about I directly referenced in my essays. Reaching for straws!)

The teaching load sounds pretty standard, 20 classroom hours. Any more than that and you would run into issues effectively planning and executing lessons. It is also nice how they outline the role of the ETA, as it has been a bit ambiguous from sources provided on IIE.

On page 20, you see the answer to your question about orientation. There is a main one, presumably in KL, and then a local one, probably where you're stationed.

I'm a SCUBA diver currently working on my Divemaster certification. The states that we may be in our close to the coast, so that will be one of the first questions I ask if I receive a grant. Priorities!

Another Malaysia ETA candidate! :D I knew there had to be some of us out there...Yup, yesterday came and went. :-/ But, no news is still good news so far, right? :D

@BlueLightSpecial: Haha, right! As a graduating senior, it is slowly becoming crunch time. Hey, if we both get it and accept it, maybe you can show me a bit about SCUBA diving! :D It sounds really fun, but I've never done it.

@r0manar0und: really nice find on that PDF! It sounds so exciting. Gosh, it makes me even more pumped about it (if I get it)! :D

--

To alternates: I think I posted this already, but I can't find it, haha. I know a friend who just finished an ETA in Malaysia. In fact, she applied to Indonesia, but she didn't make it past the final review stage (not sure if rejection or alternate). But, then, the Fulbright Board called and offered her a spot in Malaysia! :D So, I think they do really care about you if you're an alternate.

And, interestingly, it seems like Malaysia/Indonesia sort of plan their Fulbright grantees together...but even Indonesia last year was notified this week.

Long time listener, first time caller. Tomorrow is Karfreitag for Germany. Will any Fulbright-awarding agencies in the country be working? 

Edited by Spence

Long time listener, first time caller. Tomorrow is Karfreitag for Germany. Will any Fulbright-awarding agencies in the country be working? 
My guess is, if we do find out tomorrow, it's because the FFSB already has their selections. If not. We will have to wait after the holiday. I'm curious to see what will be the case.

Idk, if I am even allowed to ask this question, but for all of my ETA Germany peeps, what Bundesländer did you pick? Or did you not pick any at all. Just curious. Feel free to ignore the question xD

Idk, if I am even allowed to ask this question, but for all of my ETA Germany peeps, what Bundesländer did you pick? Or did you not pick any at all. Just curious. Feel free to ignore the question xD

My preferences were: (1) Berlin, (2) Nordrhein-Westfalen, and (3) Rheinland-Pfalz. :) What about you?

I chose "any" as my first choice. It wouldn't let me submit only one choice, so I picked Schleswig-Holstein and Bayern second and third.

Edited by Spence

I picked: Bayern, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Baden-Württemberg.  I have never been anywhere in Germany so I don't care that much as long as I get to go...anywhere lol...but I like the idea of being in the south...or Köln, my intro German instructors were from around there.  I'm not a big city person and I figured a lot of people are probably interested in Berlin so...leaving some room for those people to get what they want lol.  I'll of course have to visit, but I would feel more bequem in a small town somewhere in the boonies :P (is that weird?  oh well.)

Malaysia checking in...

Looking at the spreadsheet, there are about ten of us or so who have made a presence here. I was comforted somewhat with 70 less people applying, but that was offset by the ambiguity behind the sequester. There will also be less than 75 grants available assuming some of the people from this year stay on for a second year, though this may be unlikely since they just arrived in country 6 weeks ago or so.

I am also a finalist for another program, my second choice, and if they notify me of a placement, I have 3 days to decide. I really hope that doesn't happen as I would be between a rock and a hard place of potentially turning down one program while waiting for Fulbright, only to have the possibility of not receiving a Fulbright either. If it does happen, I'm going to reach out to whoever I can to see what the timeline is for decision releases.

Not sure if you browsed their website, but here is a list of their staff: http://www.macee.org.my/about/macee-staffs/. If a brave soul once to contact them and bypass IIE, go for it? I'm not messing with it unless I hear back from the other program and am on a tight timeline.

Congratulations to those who have heard, and happy waiting for those of us in admissions purgatory.

pro tip: you just accept your other program if there is a time gap and renege (on the other program) if you win the fulbright. pretty straight forward my friend, dont lose sleep and assume the worst so you won't be disappointed.

Edited by mkt123

I picked: Bayern, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Baden-Württemberg.  I have never been anywhere in Germany so I don't care that much as long as I get to go...anywhere lol...but I like the idea of being in the south...or Köln, my intro German instructors were from around there.  I'm not a big city person and I figured a lot of people are probably interested in Berlin so...leaving some room for those people to get what they want lol.  I'll of course have to visit, but I would feel more bequem in a small town somewhere in the boonies :P (is that weird?  oh well.)
Not weird in my opinion. I also hope to be placed in a small town. :) I picked NRW, Niedersachsen, and Rheinland Pfalz for my Bundesländer...fingers crosses for good news soon!! ^^

1. Niedersachsen

2. Nordrhein-Westfalen

3.Bayern

But I actually WANT to be put in Bayern. I put the other two first because I've already spent some time in Bayern, and really, I SHOULD branch out!! I can't help but want to go back though!! :wub:

Not weird in my opinion. I also hope to be placed in a small town. :) I picked NRW, Niedersachsen, and Rheinland Pfalz for my Bundesländer...fingers crosses for good news soon!! ^^

I think it's possible to have the best of both worlds, really! A lot of German towns are so quaint, that it feels like being in a small town, anyway! I spent a semester in Bayern, in a town an hour from Munich. I recently looked up the population and was surprised to find out it's higher than the city I live in now! It sure didn't feel like it! It was small enough to not feel overwhelming, but still big enough to have lots to do; art museums, theatre, symphony, bars, clubs, you name it. I loved that city!! And it was just a short bahn ride to Munich, so I went shopping and checked out Oktoberfest (Overrated, but worth seeing). I think even if you are in a big city, it will still be quite easy to get around by foot, which is one of my favorite things about Germany! I would recommend getting a bike, really, it's the best way to see the town(and a great way to stay in shape!)! Sometimes riding by bike is actually faster than driving. I remember going out for dinner with my host family one night. Host dad, host siblings, and I went by car, but host mom rode her bike from work. When we got home, my host mom was pulling up to the house at the same time we were! Going by bike is where it's at!!

.. I had a lot of really lovely bike rides along the Donau. I would LOVE to do it again!!

Edited by there'sanappforthat

:) Small towns for the win.  And yes please, soon soon soon. 

I think it's possible to have the best of both worlds, really! A lot of German towns are so quaint, that it feels like being in a small town, anyway! I spent a semester in Bayern, in a town an hour from Munich. I recently looked up the population and was surprised to find out it's higher than the city I live in now! It sure didn't feel like it! It was small enough to not feel overwhelming, but still big enough to have lots to do; art museums, theatre, symphony, bars, clubs, you name it. I loved that city!! And it was just a short bahn ride to Munich, so I went shopping and checked out Oktoberfest (Overrated, but worth seeing). I think even if you are in a big city, it will still be quite easy to get around by foot, which is one of my favorite things about Germany! I would recommend getting a bike, really, it's the best way to see the town(and a great way to stay in shape!)! Sometimes riding by bike is actually faster than driving. I remember going out for dinner with my host family one night. Host dad, host siblings, and I went by car, but host mom rode her bike from work. When we got home, my host mom was pulling up to the house at the same time we were! Going by bike is where it's at!!

.. I had a lot of really lovely bike rides along the Donau. I would LOVE to do it again!!

That's awesome.  Ahhhhhh...can we all just go there right now? 

My preferences were: (1) Berlin, (2) Nordrhein-Westfalen, and (3) Rheinland-Pfalz. :) What about you?

Hahahahahahaha! We have the same first two choices:D my third choice was Baden-Württemberg. I lived/studied abroad there for two years and most of my friends are still there. So, I had to pick it xD

Love everyone's choices! It'll be interesting to see what happens! :)))

Edited by Miss_Lady

Hahahahahahaha! We have the same first two choices:D my third choice was Baden-Württemberg. I lived/studied abroad there for two years and most of my friends are still there. So, I had to pick it xD

Love everyone's choices! It'll be interesting to see what happens! :)))

Nice, I almost put BW as my third choice, but decided to do RP after hearing rumors from past ETAs that the ones from RP seemed universally happy. I couldn't get in contact in anyone from BW but figured since they're pretty close I could always visit if I was in RP! I wanted to avoid ending up in a really isolated place, so hopping my choices make sense for that, but I've never actually been to Germany so I don't know, haha. Do you all know if we will receive our Bundesland placement at the time we receive our acceptance letters (if we do)?

Edited by crthrasher

pro tip: you just accept your other program if there is a time gap and renege (on the other program) if you win the fulbright. pretty straight forward my friend, dont lose sleep and assume the worst so you won't be disappointed.

Yes, I am well aware of that option. It would be incredibly unprofessional and impractical for both parties for a number of reasons. I would prefer to have neither program then renege on an obligation with the other one.

Yes, I am well aware of that option. It would be incredibly unprofessional and impractical for both parties for a number of reasons. I would prefer to have neither program then renege on an obligation with the other one.

How about if you hear back from that other program first, give IIE a call and let them know your situation, and see if there's anything they can do as far as expediting the process, or at least letting you know what day you'd hear back about Fulbright?

Anyways, if I recall correctly, you said this other program is more rare/prestigious, but less cushy. So in a way it seems like they're equally appealing, just for different reasons? So would you be disappointed if you did this other program and not Fulbright? I mean, if you get the Fulbright, you can still put it on your resume that you were offered the award but declined.

Edited by crthrasher

Haha, I've never been to Germany so I guess I made a bad decision choosing NRW and RP as two of my choices, since I'm really hoping to NOT be placed in a small town. I just read that NRW is one of the most densely populated Bundesländer... Is that not true? o__O Oh well!

I'm in a similar situation. I was offered another fellowship, and I have until noon today to accept it. I was hoping to hear back from the Fulbright sooner so that I wouldn't have to potentially renege on an acceptance. I went ahead and accepted the fellowship, but I just hope I hear back from th Fulbrigh soon so that if I do have to renege, the other fellowship will have adequate time to fill the position.

I have a feeling German ETA decisions aren't coming today. Srsly Fulbright??

Also, my three choices were Hamburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen, and Baden-Württemberg. I'm a bit surprised to see others picking BW. I thought I could accrue some hipster cred by living in Schwarzwald. "Oh yeah, I lived in this small town in Southwest Germany. You've probably never heard of it."

It's also cool to see someone picking Niedersachsen (I forget who, I'm on my phone) as their first choice! I had a friend who lived near Dresden and developed a strong connection to former DDR culture.

I have a feeling German ETA decisions aren't coming today. Srsly Fulbright??

Also, my three choices were Hamburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen, and Baden-Württemberg. I'm a bit surprised to see others picking BW. I thought I could accrue some hipster cred by living in Schwarzwald. "Oh yeah, I lived in this small town in Southwest Germany. You've probably never heard of it."

It's also cool to see someone picking Niedersachsen (I forget who, I'm on my phone) as their first choice! I had a friend who lived near Dresden and developed a strong connection to former DDR culture.

Aww don't say that. I'm really hoping they come today.

Dresden is in Sachsen, not Niedersachsen. ;) But yeah I totally would have chosen Sachsen if there was good chance of being placed in or near Dresden, but I was just too terrified of ending up in the middle of nowhere.