Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm hoping to do a full research grant in Russia, and I am getting rather impatient! From the looks of things it's going to be in April when I find out...

Shout out to the Brazilian Fulbrighters who are planning their trips so that they can be there for the world cup. I'm Jealous!

Hi ETA Brazil 2013-2014 here.

You know, I actually applied 2 years ago and was rejected. I think it was some kind of divine intervention  :rolleyes:

I was in Brazil for World Cup 2010 (South Africa) and had an AMAAAAZING time...I can only imagine the mayhem next year...and I'm here for it!

Edited by vinyl

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm hoping to do a full research grant in Russia, and I am getting rather impatient! From the looks of things it's going to be in April when I find out...

hah, yep. armenia here. it seems they've never sent out notification before the second week of april, at earliest. my waiting is rapidly getting less patient as other people keep hearing!

hah, yep. armenia here. it seems they've never sent out notification before the second week of april, at earliest. my waiting is rapidly getting less patient as other people keep hearing!

Woo Eurasia! Do they tend to notify all of us at the same time? Also, I was checking out the statistics for the region (procrastinating working on my thesis, obviously), and it seems that interest (at least in terms of numbers of applications for full grants) has been dropping over the years. Their loss, that corner of the world is fantastic!

Woo Eurasia! Do they tend to notify all of us at the same time? Also, I was checking out the statistics for the region (procrastinating working on my thesis, obviously), and it seems that interest (at least in terms of numbers of applications for full grants) has been dropping over the years. Their loss, that corner of the world is fantastic!

Woot! Woot! Eurasia. :) I noticed the drop, too...I wonder why? *shrugs* I don't think they notify us all at once.  

Mine came from IIE, so maybe it depends on the country.

When you got your notice that you were selected as a finalist, did it say that your notification was going to come from the FFSB or the IIE? Or did it not say? Just curious. For the Germany ETAs it said from the FFSB, but if it said that for you too, then maybe they changed it.

I don't know much about the full grant program, or about host affiliations, and the person who I'm about to reference did a Fulbright like 10 years ago or something...so definitely take all that I'm about to say with a huge grain of salt.

Anyway, one of my professors said that after you are accepted into the program, what you do doesn't really matter that much.  Not to say it doesn't matter, but that they figure you're motivated enough to do something, so if your plans change somewhat from your proposal (in terms of what your project exactly entails) you're not going to be penalized.  It's more for you, and for the experience...and most projects usually change once you start working on them regardless (perhaps this is more true for a humanities project like she did, but still). 

Point being, I would assume that they would have some flexibility with your project, if not also the location.  I don't know how much information they gave you in the original e-mail and/or if/when they plan to send you more, but I would definitely try to contact someone and let them know that there are other labs you might be interested in working with, and if so, what would be the best way to go about that.  They can't help you if they don't know!

Very helpful information... thank you. 

Shout out to the other Turkey ETAs!  Looks like we're in for a long wait.  *Chews nails off*  This. Sucks. :(

SO MUCH STRESS. I emailed to see if they had any approximate notification date and they said they were currently in the selection process and that they would let us know "by the end of may- the latest." last years notification was may 15th and the year before was june... 

Fulbright USTA to Austria!!!!!! Hip hip hurray!

Anyone else apply to the USTA in Austria? I wasn't expecting to hear anything until April, but it looks like people heard back on Good Friday last year too.

I know I'm being completely paranoid, but have you ever gone back to your USTA application to look through it again? If you log in, it just says "print application" and pulls it up as a .pdf, but then it looks incomplete. I don't see my essay or transcript or any of my uploads--not like you do with Fulbright. It makes me worry something happened and my full application wasn't submitted! I wish I could quit worrying about it...

Anyway, I'm also worried a rejection from the USTA portends rejection from the Fulbright ETA, since the USTA is supposed to be less competitive. I thought I was just hedging my bets...but now I'm bracing myself for the worst: double rejection. 

Edited by demidog711

I know I'm being completely paranoid, but have you ever gone back to your USTA application to look through it again? If you log in, it just says "print application" and pulls it up as a .pdf, but then it looks incomplete. I don't see my essay or transcript or any of my uploads--not like you do with Fulbright. It makes me worry something happened and my full application wasn't submitted! I wish I could quit worrying about it...

Anyway, I'm also worried a rejection from the USTA portends rejection from the Fulbright ETA, since the USTA is supposed to be less competitive. I thought I was just hedging my bets...but now I'm bracing myself for the worst: double rejection. 

I remember thinking the same thing when I tried to open my application right after submitting.  Fingers crossed that everything's in there!  Also, do you know how competitive the USTA is?

Ugh I'm also (trying) to prepare myself for double rejection! I have no idea which is more competitive, I imagine Fulbright...I pulled up the "print now" PDF and it doesn't include my uploads either, so I'm sure that those weren't part of the actual application, but rather supplementary materials.

I hope.