Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I think I would choose Germany because most of my research has to do with Germany, plus I want to learn to speak German German not Austrian German, but honestly I will jump at either! I haven't lived abroad (yet) and though Germany is #1, Austria is not a bad #2. How about you?

I'm not sure.  I studied abroad in Germany last year and loved it.  Part of me wants to go back, but another part of me wants to try living somewhere new.  If I am lucky enough to be in the position to make the decision, I think a lot will depend on when I hear back from each program and their placements. But I also think either program would be great!  We'll see what happens!

Hmmm. I'm really concerned we didn't hear anything yesterday. Last year, rejected/alternate applicants heard back from the program about a week after accepted applicants (I read the entire Fulbright '12-13 thread over the summer during a couple boring days at work...). So if someone heard about an acceptance yesterday, I feel like that doesn't bode well for the rest of us.

That said, there's not a lot of precedent to go by with the USTA. This is the first year they even had an online application, so who knows how they do things there? I'm relieved you guys couldn't see your uploads either. That was really gnawing at me!

I can't believe I'm just discovering this forum, I'm going crazy wondering if anyone else has heard back! I'm currently a finalist for the Germany ETA as well. I really hope we hear back next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I'm just discovering this forum, I'm going crazy wondering if anyone else has heard back! I'm currently a finalist for the Germany ETA as well. I really hope we hear back next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope so, too!

Hi ETA Brazil 2013-2014 here.

You know, I actually applied 2 years ago and was rejected. I think it was some kind of divine intervention  :rolleyes:

I was in Brazil for World Cup 2010 (South Africa) and had an AMAAAAZING time...I can only imagine the mayhem next year...and I'm here for it!

So jealous! I'm glad you didn't get it two years ago! You will have the time of your life!!!! Congrats!

When you got your notice that you were selected as a finalist, did it say that your notification was going to come from the FFSB or the IIE? Or did it not say? Just curious. For the Germany ETAs it said from the FFSB, but if it said that for you too, then maybe they changed it.

It said it would come from FFSB, but ended up coming from IIE.

Hello! On the medical clearance form, it says that it is up to you to find out if your country has any specific requirements. Does any one know where you can look to find that out? Thank you!

Haha sooo my family has decided that the time will go by much more enjoyably if they place bets on which day I'll find out and make a pool for the month of April. I will say, it does sound much more enjoyable this way...
haha I love your family!

Anyone else here applying to Bosnia? I believe Bulgaria is the first of the Balkans to find out... the waiting is killing me!

Congrats to those who have heard good news!

I know I'm being completely paranoid, but have you ever gone back to your USTA application to look through it again? If you log in, it just says "print application" and pulls it up as a .pdf, but then it looks incomplete. I don't see my essay or transcript or any of my uploads--not like you do with Fulbright. It makes me worry something happened and my full application wasn't submitted! I wish I could quit worrying about it...

Anyway, I'm also worried a rejection from the USTA portends rejection from the Fulbright ETA, since the USTA is supposed to be less competitive. I thought I was just hedging my bets...but now I'm bracing myself for the worst: double rejection. 

They gave us acceptance data at our orientation in September, and for 2012-2013 there were over 300 applications for 90 new TA positions which is approximately a 30% acceptance rate (and as I'm sure you know, Austria has no finalist process--you submit your application and sit in limbo forever). Germany had 140 applicants for 411 positions for 2012-2013 (this is prior to anyone being recommended as a finalist, even), which is 34% so technically slightly less competitive than Austria. Since you've already been chosen as a finalist, your odds are even better--probably about 50% based on the assumption that twice as many are recommended as there are slots. So don't assume that a rejection from Austria = rejection from Germany. Hopefully you will get both--having a choice is nice!

Hmmm. I'm really concerned we didn't hear anything yesterday. Last year, rejected/alternate applicants heard back from the program about a week after accepted applicants (I read the entire Fulbright '12-13 thread over the summer during a couple boring days at work...). So if someone heard about an acceptance yesterday, I feel like that doesn't bode well for the rest of us.

That said, there's not a lot of precedent to go by with the USTA. This is the first year they even had an online application, so who knows how they do things there? I'm relieved you guys couldn't see your uploads either. That was really gnawing at me!

Previous years (last year and presumably before that) we had an online portion of the application, but in addition had to submit hard copy of that and hard copy of resume, letter, transcript, recommendations, etc. by mail as well. Regarding some people hearing "yes" and some people hearing nothing on the USTA, I know they were having delays with some of the schools (you receive your school assignment in your acceptance) and that may be why some have heard and some have not. Among those of us currently here who applied for a second year, some heard right away and some were a few days delayed--yours may simply be further delayed. There's a lot of bureaucracy for the AAEC (Fulbright Commission) to coordinate with the Ministry of Education, the provincial schools boards, and the individual schools.

Regarding Austria USTA notification dates in general, last year they mostly came at the end of spring break (after Easter) with some people getting bumped up from alternate in the weeks following.

Good luck to all of you! Hopefully one of you will be taking my spot in a beautiful southern city :)

For the medical clearance only foreign fulbrighters have to get TB tests and chest x-rays right? 

Thats what it appears to be to me... This medical process is pretty simple. I have a friend who has to do a medical exam for Peace Corps and he has to get everything looked at. Everything.  

Edited by AprilMay

Thanks, lkj2007 - that sheds a lot more light on the situation. I ended up assuming the USTA couldn't be as competitive as the Fulbright ETA because of the logistics of paper applications (also, I'd never heard of it until I read through last year's fulbright forum). Then I only made more assumptions based on the notification dates of a handful of USTA applicants posting on the grad cafe last year. Oh my gosh. I feel so neurotic! This forum...it does things to your brain. (and the waiting game doesn't help).

Anyway, that's good to hear. Thanks for the information!

Thanks, that information was really helpful!  And maybe because there's so much overlap between the two programs there are more alternates who also get grants (either to Germany or Austria)?

I'm waiting to hear about my ETA to Rwanda application.  I was recommended and then nothing for a long time...until I got an email from the guy heading the Sub-Saharan Africa ETAs.  I got the email last week.  It was basically like, "If you are chosen, you need to keep these particular dates in June open so that you can attend a mandatory Orientation in DC."

Did anyone else get that email???  Agh, I want to know the results already!!!

Edited by naomarie4

China research applicant here. The wait alone is miserable enough, but slogging through all this additional paperwork before even being accepted feels downright cruel. Only one more month (hopefully).

China research applicant here. The wait alone is miserable enough, but slogging through all this additional paperwork before even being accepted feels downright cruel. Only one more month (hopefully).

Agreed. The extra paperwork reminds me of the fact that even in Chinese hell everything is run by bureaucrats and I'm sure there is plenty of paperwork to slog through down there. Where do you hope to be affiliated?