Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

So have only applicants applying to countries that have their own Fulbright Commissions been notified at this point? 

Good question, kind of looks like it doesn't it?

And hey, just throwin' it out there to the ETA's:

I am a current ESL teacher and taught in France for two years as an English assistant in the same program Fulbright uses, but I applied to and worked directly for the French government. Ask me anything, anytime.

Awesome! I've heard of that program. Unfortunately my French is not where it should be to apply to that program, but I have a friend that applied to it for the upcoming year and will hear back pretty soon if she got in. Would it be okay if I had her message you if she gets in? :)

I wish I were the Oprah of Fulbrights. Because then YOU would get a Fulbright, and YOU would get a FULBRIGHT, and EVERYBODY GETS A FULBRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make me so happy sometimes.

Awesome! I've heard of that program. Unfortunately my French is not where it should be to apply to that program, but I have a friend that applied to it for the upcoming year and will hear back pretty soon if she got in. Would it be okay if I had her message you if she gets in? :)

Sure! And you don't have to speak a lick of French to do it. Just sayin'.

Sure! And you don't have to speak a lick of French to do it. Just sayin'.

Oh really?? I thought I saw that in the TAPIF application guidelines. Maybe I'm mistaken. That's awesome -- sounds like a nice opportunity! :)

Yeah, I would say to anyone that doesn't get accept to try again if they really want it! I applied three times to the Austrian Fulbright and it wasn't until the third try that I got it. Maybe I was a little insane, but it finally paid off. And victory was just that much sweeter. :)

Jordan notifications were sent a few hours ago. Alternate for ETA. Man...

Anyone got info for alternates? How many are typically designated as such? What a bummer. 

OMG that was the funniest shit ever

I wish I were the Oprah of Fulbrights. Because then YOU would get a Fulbright, and YOU would get a FULBRIGHT, and EVERYBODY GETS A FULBRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oprah-free-car.gif

And ya'll would be

all..

OPRAH-CAR-GIF.gif

Seriously. That just made my week. Fantastic job. :lol:

Anyone else out there going crazy waiting for Malaysia?

You're not alone! I'm an ETA candidate for Malaysia, what about you? (Hello board- Yet another long time lurker, first time poster!) Malaysia has officially surpassed the notification date for last year so hoping we hear something soon. The anxiety is not really translating well into thesis-writing productivity.... 

I'm ETA as well (and I've also been stalking this board for months - afraid to say anything and jinx myself).

Ughh I know! I had myself so worked up thinking we would find out yesterday and now I can't focus on anything. I just hope we find out soon either way, the May 28th notification from the 11-12 cycle scares the bejeebers out of me.

You're not alone! I'm an ETA candidate for Malaysia, what about you? (Hello board- Yet another long time lurker, first time poster!) Malaysia has officially surpassed the notification date for last year so hoping we hear something soon. The anxiety is not really translating well into thesis-writing productivity.... 

Malaysia checking in...

Looking at the spreadsheet, there are about ten of us or so who have made a presence here. I was comforted somewhat with 70 less people applying, but that was offset by the ambiguity behind the sequester. There will also be less than 75 grants available assuming some of the people from this year stay on for a second year, though this may be unlikely since they just arrived in country 6 weeks ago or so.

I am also a finalist for another program, my second choice, and if they notify me of a placement, I have 3 days to decide. I really hope that doesn't happen as I would be between a rock and a hard place of potentially turning down one program while waiting for Fulbright, only to have the possibility of not receiving a Fulbright either. If it does happen, I'm going to reach out to whoever I can to see what the timeline is for decision releases.

Not sure if you browsed their website, but here is a list of their staff: http://www.macee.org.my/about/macee-staffs/. If a brave soul once to contact them and bypass IIE, go for it? I'm not messing with it unless I hear back from the other program and am on a tight timeline.

Congratulations to those who have heard, and happy waiting for those of us in admissions purgatory.

I managed to get into touch with a past fulbrighter to my country, which is exciting bc there's no spreadsheet data for it. He heard on April 19 in 2011.

Kind of comforting to hear a date. Sort of..