Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I don't remember when i started writing but... when i first started, they weren't even drafts. I can't even say they were outlines. Well, I made an outline, and then I just started writing and writing about each topic I wanted to cover. I had SO much down on paper, I bet I didn't even end up using 1/3 of it. And then I just edited it so much it hardly looked like what I had started out with anyway. I find I do better that way, writing and writing and writing, and then pairing it down to the most important elements. I also did better if I worked in short chunks of time, rather than trying to mash out a draft all at once. But that's just me; I'd write for a little while, remember I needed to do the dishes, and then get distracted by something else and not come back to it for another couple of hours (or days..lol). I wish I would have employed this method more in school.. I bet I would have done better!

I basically started the same way! XD by answering the questions they had on their prompts and built up from there, but yeah....it was more or less write for one or two hours a day, then to do something else...go back...I'm glad I'm not writing anything at the moment. XD

Edited by Miss_Lady

So I've heard! Have you heard about the Teach and Learn in Georgia program through their government, where you can go volunteer to teach English and they will host you there? I was interested in the program at one point but read online that it's still in development stages so it's still a little flimsy in terms of being organized/providing reliable support/etc. Either way though, I'm sure you could do that if you didn't get the Fulbright, right?

Yes! I have heard.  I am actually in the process of applying for that right now.  Where and when did you hear about its possible "flimsiness?" 

I basically started the same way! XD by answering the questions they had on their prompts and built up from there, but yeah....it was more or less write for one or two hours a day, then to do something else...go back...I'm glad I'm not writing anything at the moment. XD

Ha! Sometimes writing for an hour was a really good day for me!! some times i just couldn't get anything out

Hehe, yikes! I hate it when I hear conflicting advice. It was such a pain when I was doing my application having different people (whose opinion I value equally) telling me COMPLETELY opposite things about what I should/should not write... haha. Oh well. Hopefully works out for both of us! :)   Anyways, I think my adviser told me it had to be 'realistic' too, but I guess her interpretation of that was that if I was *too* specific it would look like I wasn't flexible and had my heart set on this project more than the teaching.
Right?! Ugh. Lol. They told me to be specific in both, and I was like :o what the what?! All in one page?! And yes! I hope it works out for all of us!

Ha! Sometimes writing for an hour was a really good day for me!! some times i just couldn't get anything out
Hahahahahahaha...I know the feeling .__. Longest application process...ever! Glad I can say I lived to tell the tale at least :)

Hahahahahahaha...I know the feeling .__. Longest application process...ever! Glad I can say I lived to tell the tale at least :)

This is my second time applying, so at least this time was much easier. I felt like my first essay was kind of just like "Ummm.. I want to go to Germany...cuz it's really awesome.... And.... you should send me to Germany....cuz...I'm really AWESOME!" Second time around I actually knew what I wanted to say and had more conviction. Hope I have a better outcome :) I already made it farther this year, so that is good!

Yes! I have heard.  I am actually in the process of applying for that right now.  Where and when did you hear about its possible "flimsiness?" 

I don't know if that was the right word, but it was from a blog of someone who did it. I think it was called the Unofficial Guide to TLG but I can't find it now; maybe it's down now? Anyways, here's a good resource: http://livingrootless.blogspot.com/p/teach-and-learn-with-georgia.html

I didn't mean to turn you off from it; the person who wrote that liked the program, but was just advising people that since it's a bit newer it doesn't have the infrastructure that some other programs might have. So you just have to keep that in mind and realize you've gotta come prepared & not expect your hand to be held all the time.

Also someone I know who did the Peace Corps in Georgia mentioned that since the program is not very discriminating that means sometimes the people accepted can be of questionable merit/ability/character. However, I seem to remember they also said this is changing as the Georgian government gets its program together and fixes the problems with the process. It's just normal for a newer program to still be refining its processes. Anyways, looks like there are some good blogs out there that should help with preparing for TLG, so I'm sure you'll be fine! :)

Edited by crthrasher

This is my second time applying, so at least this time was much easier. I felt like my first essay was kind of just like "Ummm.. I want to go to Germany...cuz it's really awesome.... And.... you should send me to Germany....cuz...I'm really AWESOME!" Second time around I actually knew what I wanted to say and had more conviction. Hope I have a better outcome :) I already made it farther this year, so that is good!
Woot! :B awesomeness. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and all of us...not sure I have enough fingers for that, but it's the thought that counts!

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I found out today that I received an ETA to Bulgaria!  I'm looking forward to being able to check my email without wanting to puke from being so anxious.  Best of luck to you all (even though I know that doesn't help the anxiety!)!

I got one too!! Congrats! :)

I don't know if that was the right word, but it was from a blog of someone who did it. I think it was called the Unofficial Guide to TLG but I can't find it now; maybe it's down now? Anyways, here's a good resource: http://livingrootless.blogspot.com/p/teach-and-learn-with-georgia.html

I didn't mean to turn you off from it; the person who wrote that liked the program, but was just advising people that since it's a bit newer it doesn't have the infrastructure that some other programs might have. So you just have to keep that in mind and realize you've gotta come prepared & not expect your hand to be held all the time.

Also someone I know who did the Peace Corps in Georgia mentioned that since the program is not very discriminating that means sometimes the people accepted can be of questionable merit/ability/character. However, I seem to remember they also said this is changing as the Georgian government gets its program together and fixes the problems with the process. It's just normal for a newer program to still be refining its processes. Anyways, looks like there are some good blogs out there that should help with preparing for TLG, so I'm sure you'll be fine! :)

I'm in TLG right now :)

Thank you for this information! I just like to know what I am getting in to.  

FFSB

Thanks! The email sent back in January said the FFSB so good to know that's the case.

Thanks!  Now I know whether my heart will sink or soar as soon as I see something pop up in my inbox!

Hi all! Fulbright full grant, graduating senior, recommended candidate here.

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, but those of you receiving news, have your e-mails been coming directly from your countries or from IIE or Fulbright?

Thanks!

Hi all! Fulbright full grant, graduating senior, recommended candidate here.

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, but those of you receiving news, have your e-mails been coming directly from your countries or from IIE or Fulbright?

Thanks!

I asked that earlier and those who answered said from the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.  I think if you get rejected (and none of us will, of course!), it comes from IIE.

Hey everybody, I've got another question. I'm assuming this is very, very much country dependent, but does anyone know the typical start date? (I'm applying for Russia, but I doubt anyone knows off the top of their head exactly when one particular program begins.) I know I've heard a sort of generic "late August" for in-country orientations--does that sound about right? I'm trying to figure out if I should take a summer internship I've been offered. 

Hey everybody, I've got another question. I'm assuming this is very, very much country dependent, but does anyone know the typical start date? (I'm applying for Russia, but I doubt anyone knows off the top of their head exactly when one particular program begins.) I know I've heard a sort of generic "late August" for in-country orientations--does that sound about right? I'm trying to figure out if I should take a summer internship I've been offered. 

Yup, it's country dependent. For my country (Germany) it says the start date on the country profile on the Fulbright website (where you would have originally gotten your guidelines for applying). For mine, it's September, but could be different for you. Does it not say? I would see if you can find any blogs online from former grantees for that country and ask them if they know. You could also contact the regional coordinator at IIE for Russia.