Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I have a feeling German ETA decisions aren't coming today. Srsly Fulbright??

I'm starting to get that feeling, too. I'm thinking next Wednesday. I don't know why. .... I really hope I'm wrong. :D

How about if you hear back from that other program first, give IIE a call and let them know your situation, and see if there's anything they can do as far as expediting the process, or at least letting you know what day you'd hear back about Fulbright?

Anyways, if I recall correctly, you said this other program is more rare/prestigious, but less cushy. So in a way it seems like they're equally appealing, just for different reasons? So would you be disappointed if you did this other program and not Fulbright? I mean, if you get the Fulbright, you can still put it on your resume that you were offered the award but declined.

For the first part, yeah that's exactly what I will do if it happens. I may have a bit of a warning/lag time before the 3 day window starts ticking as there might be an additional interview (it was a more lengthy and intense process and application than Fulbright, to be sure). I will probably contact my FPA first, see what he thinks, then IIE, and then if necessary, the in-country staff if I am not satisfied with the answers.

And that is also correct. My friend who is currently in Fulbright and I have talked about it extensively. She is of the opinion that the other program would be more beneficial and fruitful than Fulbright. It would also be more related to development and human rights and less about teaching english, though I have the skill set to do either. I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed doing the other one, especially if I got my country of preference (Rwanda). If I got Rwanda, it would be very hard to turn down even with a Fulbright. However, I am currently employed and living at home, so I make a lot of money, most of which goes to savings. The opportunity cost of missing out on that income plus other costs incurred by the other program (airfare is not included, for instance), doesn't make as much pragmatic sense as a Fulbright. Malaysia begins in January, and the fall is when I make the most money whereas I would be leaving in the summer with the other.

I also heard of previous applicants who have done just that, that they were offered a Fulbright and declined, or were listed as an alternate and put that anyways.

I mentioned in a post many pages ago that teaching english is teaching english, whether you're doing it privately through a school or with a program or whatever. Most of the appeal of Fulbright is the prestige attached to it plus the supprort and resources that may not be available through other programs.

For the first part, yeah that's exactly what I will do if it happens. I may have a bit of a warning/lag time before the 3 day window starts ticking as there might be an additional interview (it was a more lengthy and intense process and application than Fulbright, to be sure). I will probably contact my FPA first, see what he thinks, then IIE, and then if necessary, the in-country staff if I am not satisfied with the answers.

And that is also correct. My friend who is currently in Fulbright and I have talked about it extensively. She is of the opinion that the other program would be more beneficial and fruitful than Fulbright. It would also be more related to development and human rights and less about teaching english, though I have the skill set to do either. I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed doing the other one, especially if I got my country of preference (Rwanda). If I got Rwanda, it would be very hard to turn down even with a Fulbright. However, I am currently employed and living at home, so I make a lot of money, most of which goes to savings. The opportunity cost of missing out on that income plus other costs incurred by the other program (airfare is not included, for instance), doesn't make as much pragmatic sense as a Fulbright. Malaysia begins in January, and the fall is when I make the most money whereas I would be leaving in the summer with the other.

I also heard of previous applicants who have done just that, that they were offered a Fulbright and declined, or were listed as an alternate and put that anyways.

I mentioned in a post many pages ago that teaching english is teaching english, whether you're doing it privately through a school or with a program or whatever. Most of the appeal of Fulbright is the prestige attached to it plus the supprort and resources that may not be available through other programs.

Well I'm probably not in your field or familiar with that other program, but from what you've said it sounds to me like if you get that other one, you should just go for it! Sounds like you've already got plenty of English teaching experience, or could get it anytime if you want it.

As far as opportunity costs... I totally feel ya on that one, but a lot of great things are like that. For me, since I don't live at home and I support myself, taking the Fulbright is a financial cost because even though they give you the stipend, it's not as much as I'd be making working full time. The reason I'm doing it is because I don't have experience living abroad and it seems like a really good way to get some experience with that in a structured environment, while getting some English teaching experience. It's just too unique of an opportunity for me personally to pass up even though I'll have less income if I take it.

In terms of cost, same goes for grad school as a matter of fact, at least for MA programs, where it tends to be pretty expensive. But at the end of the day, you do what's ultimately best for you and your long-term career, and (hopefully) you should reap the benefits later with better employment and better compensation. My philosophy is that this is the time of our lives where a little financial instability (within reason of course!) is "okay" or normal. And within reason we should jump at opportunities that give us the chance to improve our situation. Sounds like for you this would probably be one of those opportunities.

If you've been living at home for a while I'm assuming you've saved up quite a bit already? To put it in perspective, I have zero savings because my income every month goes towards paying all my bills. Soooo yeah, I would love to do a program like grad school or a volunteer program or other program where there was little compensation involved, if I felt it was really valuable to my life and career, but just simply can't. So if you can, I think you should! :)

Anyways just my two cents, as obviously you are way more familiar with your situation and the situation of your pocketbook! But I would just do the program you'll ultimately benefit more from, even if it costs you financially in the short term! (Assuming it won't cost you too dearly.)

Good luck!! :)

Edited by crthrasher

Well I'm probably not in your field or familiar with that other program, but from what you've said it sounds to me like if you get that other one, you should just go for it! Sounds like you've already got plenty of English teaching experience, or could get it anytime if you want it.

As far as opportunity costs... I totally feel ya on that one, but a lot of great things are like that. For me, since I don't live at home and I support myself, taking the Fulbright is a financial cost because even though they give you the stipend, it's not as much as I'd be making working full time. The reason I'm doing it is because I don't have experience living abroad and it seems like a really good way to get some experience with that in a structured environment, while getting some English teaching experience. It's just too unique of an opportunity for me personally to pass up even though I'll have less income if I take it.

In terms of cost, same goes for grad school as a matter of fact, at least for MA programs, where it tends to be pretty expensive. But at the end of the day, you do what's ultimately best for you and your long-term career, and (hopefully) you should reap the benefits later with better employment and better compensation. My philosophy is that this is the time of our lives where a little financial instability (within reason of course!) is "okay" or normal. And within reason we should jump at opportunities that give us the chance to improve our situation. Sounds like for you this would probably be one of those opportunities.

If you've been living at home for a while I'm assuming you've saved up quite a bit already? To put it in perspective, I have zero savings because my income every month goes towards paying all my bills. Soooo yeah, I would love to do a program like grad school or a volunteer program or other program where there was little compensation involved, if I felt it was really valuable to my life and career, but just simply can't. So if you can, I think you should! :)

Anyways just my two cents, as obviously you are way more familiar with your situation and the situation of your pocketbook! But I would just do the program you'll ultimately benefit more from, even if it costs you financially in the short term! (Assuming it won't cost you too dearly.)

Good luck!! :)

Thanks for your perspective, a lot of good advice!

Ultimately, any of us applying have different financial situations and backgrounds. Earlier in the thread, there were lengthy discussions about significant others and what people were going to do for that. Any of these programs will be life-altering in practical ways, but also in the spiritual and emotional ways you mentioned above. At least for me, personally, and maybe others can relate, the anxiety waiting for the "e-mail" is because of how life-altering it will be. It will be the most important notification I will have received since I started my job around two years ago.

Fulbright is also appealing to me for the reasons that you mentioned as, though I have done some extensive traveling in a variety of settings, I have not lived abroad longterm. It's just an odd situation of having a number of (potential) options, any of which would be fine in the long-run as you say.

Contributing towards a retirement fund is something that I value, and though I have a substantial amount of money saved, and quite fortunately no student loan debt, I realize I am financially better off than many of my peers. Maxing out the IRA each year is something I want to do, and Fulbright is most compatible with that option. It is a narrow-minded way of looking at things, but with money, savings, and contributions towards retirement, will lead to a lot of flexibility in both the near and long term. You never know when gainful employment may not materialize, so since I have the opportunity to do so, I am trying to be fiscally responsible before diving into graduate school or any type of service endeavor.

Thanks for your perspective, a lot of good advice!

Ultimately, any of us applying have different financial situations and backgrounds. Earlier in the thread, there were lengthy discussions about significant others and what people were going to do for that. Any of these programs will be life-altering in practical ways, but also in the spiritual and emotional ways you mentioned above. At least for me, personally, and maybe others can relate, the anxiety waiting for the "e-mail" is because of how life-altering it will be. It will be the most important notification I will have received since I started my job around two years ago.

Fulbright is also appealing to me for the reasons that you mentioned as, though I have done some extensive traveling in a variety of settings, I have not lived abroad longterm. It's just an odd situation of having a number of (potential) options, any of which would be fine in the long-run as you say.

Contributing towards a retirement fund is something that I value, and though I have a substantial amount of money saved, and quite fortunately no student loan debt, I realize I am financially better off than many of my peers. Maxing out the IRA each year is something I want to do, and Fulbright is most compatible with that option. It is a narrow-minded way of looking at things, but with money, savings, and contributions towards retirement, will lead to a lot of flexibility in both the near and long term. You never know when gainful employment may not materialize, so since I have the opportunity to do so, I am trying to be fiscally responsible before diving into graduate school or any type of service endeavor.

Whoa, that's what I've been thinking and have articulated to my parents (which are the only people that know I've applied...); I'm in a good spot career-wise, but a lot of the stress comes from the fact that the Fulbright opportunity would set me down a completely different path--at least for the next few years...

Nice, I almost put BW as my third choice, but decided to do RP after hearing rumors from past ETAs that the ones from RP seemed universally happy. I couldn't get in contact in anyone from BW but figured since they're pretty close I could always visit if I was in RP! I wanted to avoid ending up in a really isolated place, so hopping my choices make sense for that, but I've never actually been to Germany so I don't know, haha. Do you all know if we will receive our Bundesland placement at the time we receive our acceptance letters (if we do)?
That's a good question. I read a blog from a girl who got in, and it seemed like she got notification via mail -.- as in from USPS. This girl made it seem like it. Either tht or its wishful thinking. No idea -.- lol http://postmiami.blogspot.com/2011/01/applying-for-fulbright-germany-eta.html

That's a good question. I read a blog from a girl who got in, and it seemed like she got notification via mail -.- as in from USPS. This girl made it seem like it. Either tht or its wishful thinking. No idea -.- lol http://postmiami.blogspot.com/2011/01/applying-for-fulbright-germany-eta.html

Hmm, well I'm in contact with someone who's currently doing the Germany ETA, and she said she received notification of acceptance on March 28th and didn't find out her placement until much later. She didn't say if it was by USPS or email, but I'm assuming email since judging by spreadsheets from last year, it seems like people found out pretty much simultaneously? Who knows though. You never know! I'd rather hear by email though since it's faster...

Hmm, well I'm in contact with someone who's currently doing the Germany ETA, and she said she received notification of acceptance on March 28th and didn't find out her placement until much later. She didn't say if it was by USPS or email, but I'm assuming email since judging by spreadsheets from last year, it seems like people found out pretty much simultaneously? Who knows though. You never know! I'd rather hear by email though since it's faster...
Agreed! We still have time left today...maybe we will find out...maybe....maybe -.-

Why do I have a feeling it's going to get a lot lonelier around here once the Germany ETAs get notification...?

Aww. Quite possible! Although, we won't find out where we're placed until a month or two later I think?

Why do I have a feeling it's going to get a lot lonelier around here once the Germany ETAs get notification...?

No worries! At this rate Germany ETAs will be the last ones notified.... <_<

I have a feeling German ETA decisions aren't coming today. Srsly Fulbright?? Also, my three choices were Hamburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen, and Baden-Württemberg. I'm a bit surprised to see others picking BW. I thought I could accrue some hipster cred by living in Schwarzwald. "Oh yeah, I lived in this small town in Southwest Germany. You've probably never heard of it." It's also cool to see someone picking Niedersachsen (I forget who, I'm on my phone) as their first choice! I had a friend who lived near Dresden and developed a strong connection to former DDR culture.
Lol. I love Baden-Württemberg. Most of my German friends live there and I love them to pieces. BW has a very special place in my heart. That being said BERLIN and NRW would also be über cool.