Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

But aren't the final decisions made by the FFSB? Which is in DC. You would think the host countries would have already given their selections... but maybe not?

If Germany hasn't already sent in their list(s) to the FFSB, we would still have quite a few days more waiting, aside from that extra day for their holiday...so I'm hoping to all that is good in the world that the information is already back in the US.

If Germany hasn't already sent in their list(s) to the FFSB, we would still have quite a few days more waiting, aside from that extra day for their holiday...so I'm hoping to all that is good in the world that the information is already back in the US.

I seriously hope so as well. Although I guess you never know if the FFSB or IIE actually does have to communicate with the host country during its final process or something?

I'm waiting to hear about my ETA to Rwanda application.  I was recommended and then nothing for a long time...until I got an email from the guy heading the Sub-Saharan Africa ETAs.  I got the email last week.  It was basically like, "If you are chosen, you need to keep these particular dates in June open so that you can attend a mandatory Orientation in DC."

Did anyone else get that email???  Agh, I want to know the results already!!!

DId he specify if the orientation is specifically for ETA's only?? I applied for a research grant and definitely did not get an email. 

I seriously hope so as well. Although I guess you never know if the FFSB or IIE actually does have to communicate with the host country during its final process or something?

Maybe...I wish the process was more transparent.  Maybe someday they'll do it like the government does tax returns...where you can just type in your info and they'll tell you what stage of the process your application is in.  "Your application is: processing...indefinitely."

But I would assume that the country sends over lists of accepted people and a rank-ordered list of alternates so that if someone for some reason gets disqualified (or declines eventually) they can just move to that list.  But who knows, there could be other factors we have no knowledge of. 

I hope they have or do so this week xD

I like your reasons for liking the North, and that's really nice about your professor. I actually hope to be in Nanjing. So you're in Asian Studies at UT? What are you working on? And what did you end up choosing from that very interesting list of all the official Chinese majors? I kind of wish that I was in a position to go with "Marxist ethnic theory and policy" but I think the one I chose was "history of international relations between east Asian countries" though it's possible my understanding of that phrase is different from what it actually practically means in schools. I also like the fact that we are applying to be "senior scholars" on the government scholarship form. Assuming we'll be the same age as the grad students there, that sounds a little off, but hey, if  I end up with a business card that says that I'm not going to complain to anyone.   It's going to be all the more maddening not to get picked after all this extra paperwork, for sure...
Yea, that one caught my eye as well. I would say Chinese undergrads have all the fun, but I'm not sure that's strictly speaking true. I had to be boring and just go with 'modern and contemporary Chinese history.' I'm trying to do amicro-study on the grassroots rural reforms that started around 68, especially rural healthcare, and then the reforms of the reforms from 83-89. It's also my thesis topic, so so far I've just been reading entirely too many People's Daily articles from the Cultural Revolution. It would definitely be nice to get a chance to do interviews for a change. And I say the 'bleak and dusty' north, but I'm actually trying to do my research on the north face of Taishan. Still not quite Nanjing, but it would definitely make my stay more interesting. What's your international history project?

DId he specify if the orientation is specifically for ETA's only?? I applied for a research grant and definitely did not get an email. 

faithfullywaiting, it says:

SAVE THE DATE

Dear Fulbright candidate:

You were recently notified that you have been recommended for further consideration for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship to Sub-Saharan Africa.  In the event that you are selected as a Fulbright grantee, you will be required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) in the Washington, DC area.   

The Pre-Departure Orientation will be held from Sunday, June 9 – Thursday, June 13, 2013.

Selected candidates will receive an official PDO invitation and registration instructions later this spring.  The costs associated with travel and accommodations for the length of the orientation will be covered by the U.S. Department of State. 

If you are aware of potential conflicts with these dates, please wait until you have received your notification of selection before completing a request for exemption.  Exemption requests are not guaranteed, and requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by representatives from the U.S. Department of State.

Yea, that one caught my eye as well. I would say Chinese undergrads have all the fun, but I'm not sure that's strictly speaking true. I had to be boring and just go with 'modern and contemporary Chinese history.' I'm trying to do amicro-study on the grassroots rural reforms that started around 68, especially rural healthcare, and then the reforms of the reforms from 83-89. It's also my thesis topic, so so far I've just been reading entirely too many People's Daily articles from the Cultural Revolution. It would definitely be nice to get a chance to do interviews for a change. And I say the 'bleak and dusty' north, but I'm actually trying to do my research on the north face of Taishan. Still not quite Nanjing, but it would definitely make my stay more interesting. What's your international history project?

As someone who has worked at a Chinese university, the phrase "Chinese undergrads have all the fun" makes me giggle.

p.s. Shandong is tres cool, especially the food (holy crap scallops)! Qingdao is neat and so is Qufu. Although I've heard mixed things about Jinan. I never made it to Taishan though, unfortunately.

Nothing wrong with the north of China, either, dust aside. Tall, beautiful people and great noodles. Although Shandong doesn't strike me as the northiest (coining that word) of places...

p.s. Shandong is tres cool, especially the food (holy crap scallops)! Qingdao is neat and so is Qufu. Although I've heard mixed things about Jinan. I never made it to Taishan though, unfortunately.   Nothing wrong with the north of China, either, dust aside. Tall, beautiful people and great noodles. Although Shandong doesn't strike me as the northiest (coining that word) of places...
No, definitely not generically northern. Historically speaking though, western Shandong is pretty much the epitome of north China plains trauma from 1850-1950. War, Germans, Japanese, Boxers, drought, Yellow River breaking its banks twice, mass migration, and so on. The coast though... I lived in Yantai for a while and am smitten. The food is definitely a big part of it. Not just the seafood but the insects too. And yea, tall people. I'm 5'10" and felt dwarfed by most of the people I met there. The huge workout culture plays a part as well.

I have been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks but this is my first post.  I'm a Taiwan ETA hopeful and have now had TWO dreams that I was selected as an alternate, but ultimately not chosen.  The wait is messing with my head and I really hope my dreams don't come true in this instance!

For the record, I was a finalist for ETA Germany, but was accepted by Fulbright Austria as an USTA, after my third time applying. Good luck!

Congrats!! Did you just find out today?