Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Yeah, we Malaysian folk (with 75 ETA spots available) will keep this thread alive, too. :D

Congrats to everyone who made it, good luck alternates, and for those who didn't make it: it is still huge you made it that far and things--whatever way they will-will work out! :)

I assume noone from our lot was brave enough to contact IIE or MACEE about tentative release dates?

She got it!! I definitely remember her saying she got it, because I had a premonition some weeks ago that we both would get it - I  dreamed I met her at the orientation and she had short blond hair with teal highlights!! When I mentioned it before we both had a good laugh and hoped it meant we would both make it!! Heck yeah, clairvoyance! Now if I can just convince her to dye her hair to complete the prophecy!!! :B

That is so funny! This has been a good day.

I am sitting in a hostel in Hamburg and happened to check to this forum. Immediately ran to check my email and lo and behold, I GOT IT!!! It's so crazy that I'm in Germany right now, and in 5 months or so I'll be back. I cannot even believe it.

You have to get teal highlights for the orientation in Germany - even if it's just wash out!! Then the prophesy will be complete :D:lol:

I am sitting in a hostel in Hamburg and happened to check to this forum. Immediately ran to check my email and lo and behold, I GOT IT!!! It's so crazy that I'm in Germany right now, and in 5 months or so I'll be back. I cannot even believe it.
Congrats, I love Hamburg! Which hostel are you in?

Wonderful!!! Congrats!!!

Crystaldee is right - this has been a good day! I wish Malaysia and Estonia would send results!!

Thanks! They didn't send out notices until May 1st last year, *sigh*

Seriously, I really thought maybe the sequester was slowing the process for you guys; and maybe it did. But, I feel like since your announcement finally arrived maybe things are on track.

I don't even.

What? How?

I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS CAN'T BE REAL!! I'M DREAMING!!!!

I'm so glad you got the award.  Even though I already received my award notice and no  longer  need to come on as frequently, i come on just to see if  you got an ETA Germany slot. You have been a tremendous supporter on this forum and certainly display character aligning with what a Fulbright fellow should be about. Good luck to you! 

I'm so glad you got the award.  Even though I already received my award notice and no  longer  need to come on as frequently, i come on just to see if  you got an ETA Germany slot. You have been a tremendous supporter on this forum and certainly display character aligning with what a Fulbright fellow should be about. Good luck to you! 

So true! Well said, my friend.

Normally, I tend to be pretty silly on this forum, to ease the tension and keep up the good vibes, but I just want to give a heartfelt thank you for saying that! As if receiving that email wasn't enough!! Serioiusly, that is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me, much less an internet stranger!! Thanks so much for looking out for me, it really means a lot! I'm sure all the good vibes my friends here on this forum were sending my way must have had some sort of cosmic influence over the Fulbright board!! Seriously, thank you!!!

Edit: Ok, I thought of something silly!!! Those aren't tears... that's just from the onions I've been cutting :P:wub:

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Normally, I tend to be pretty silly on this forum, to ease the tension and keep up the good vibes, but I just want to give a heartfelt thank you for saying that! As if receiving that email wasn't enough!! Serioiusly, that is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me, much less an internet stranger!! Thanks so much for looking out for me, it really means a lot! I'm sure all the good vibes my friends here on this forum were sending my way must have had some sort of cosmic influence over the Fulbright board!! Seriously, thank you!!!

Edit: Ok, I thought of something silly!!! Those aren't tears... that's just from the onions I've been cutting :P:wub:

No problem... and silliness is a must, it's a spice of life. Take Care.  I hope all of us in some way update on this forum as we begin our Fulbright journey.

"These aren't tears of sadness because you're leaving me, I've just been cutting onions

I'm making a lasagna...For one"

Checking back in, found out last week that I was rejected for a Fulbright to the Netherlands. Today I got the Whitaker, which is a more specific grant just for Biomedical Engineers. I was a Fulbright Alternate last year and rejected from Whitaker last year. If you end up not getting a grant this year, keep trying! We are all great candidates but it really depends on the review committee! Congrats to all accepted and here's hoping from some alternates becoming accepted!

Positive spirits to all...

Now its time to try and move my wedding! My advisor and fiancee dont agree when i should go to the Netherlands.  I will take this problem any day to study in the Netherlands! 

So, anyone else getting the German Fulbright know what to do about housing? I just got an email from Fulbright basically saying, "hey, better sort out housing quick." I'll be at Humboldt in Berlin, and I've looked at their international housing links, but I don't know if I should be living on campus, looking for flats, etc. Also doesn't seem like anyone is looking way ahead to August on the ads.

...help 

I assume noone from our lot was brave enough to contact IIE or MACEE about tentative release dates?

Nope. I'm too much of a coward. Kind of just crossing my fingers on a daily basis.

Found out this afternoon that I didn't get the Taiwan ETA :mellow: . Oh well - I told myself in advance that if I didn't get it I'd follow the advice I got (while lurking) from you guys to apply again in the future. See y'all in the 2014-2015 thread!

CONGRATS to everyone who heard today! You all deserve these Fulbrights and your excitement is making me VERY excited for you! I know you're all going to have a great time abroad next year and I wish the best for you :)

I hope the huge influx of decisions that flooded your inbox today is a good sign for those of us still waiting - perhaps it means the rest are coming this week! I'm getting more and more anxious by the day - at this point I don't care what the answer is, I just want to know!

I have noticed that there aren't many East Asia/Pacific countries left - just Vietnam, China, Mongolia, and Malaysia. (There may be a few more, but they aren't noted on this forum.) Does anyone know if this makes it more likely that our decisions will be coming soon? Will the office at the IIE be free to send us our decisions now that the big ones (South Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia...) have been sent out? I think I may be speculating too much, but one can hope. 

Hurrah for all the Germany people. Rewarded with a grant or not, you all put in a valiant effort which most don't dare to attempt. The camaraderie on this forum has been great and I think the fulbright administrators would be proud of the spirit of mutual support. May we all do great things in the coming year! But oof still another 25 days to wait. Thankfully I have quick trip to Tucson for a conference that I'm not prepared for to occupy my braaaains. Must...regain...concentration... Or just not resist the daydreaming. I have pretty much decided not to be a person til I know. Case in point: just bought a $10 beer at an airport Chili's. take your time, China.

hey all!

I just wanted to put it out there that I recieved news of selection for an ETA in Thailand today. Are there any others out there for Thailand? I was at work when it happened and between the shaking and screaming... it got a bit awkward, and had to step out for some air, haha.

To those who have received alternate status or were not selected, saying the following won't probably help make you feel better but I hope it does in some way : I just wanted to say that if you really want to have this opportunity, are passionate enough to reapply and have the time to do so, DO IT. This was my second time applying (I applied to Venezuela last year and did not even pass through the screening process) and was able to give myself more time to focus on the application and have other people look at it. I also made time to look at the personal statement/statement of grant purpose of previous winners, which also helped a lot.

Good luck to all those that are still waiting.

J

Congratulations to all those who received good news today! As for those who didn't, hang in there, you all made a valiant effort and it is impressive to have come this far.  

I am still in the waiting game.  I am hoping now that Germany has heard, the gates will be open, and notifications will come flooding out.  I am still curious if anyone has received notification from countries that don't have their own Fulbright committee?  Also, a question for Germany grantees, what did the subject of the email look like and where did it come from?

I am soooo bummed. =[

-_-  I really feel for you! When I found out about my alternate status for JF my advisor told me that it wasn't a rejection and it's still promising. It ain't over yet, and hopefully there will start to be some movement off the waiting lists. Something will work out, even if it doesn't seem like it will now.

Congrats to everyone who will be my neighbor in Germany (well actually, I am closer to Poland) as well as everyone else who got in today.

I just got my affiliation today and this process still seems very unreal to me. I'm off to a nice small town near the Polish border exactly 1/3 the size of my hometown in the US (which is already kind of small, but in a large urban area). Definitely going to be a change of pace, but I am very excited.

To all those who are still waiting, good luck and if you were not so lucky, try try again. I applied for a Boren a few years back (I know something different, but still) and was rejected. So, it is possible to make it!