Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Finland applicant checking in: I'm still here, but haven't heard anything yet. It's officially the latest they've responded in at least 4 years. The nerves, they're wracked...

Congrats to those who were chosen!

Hi, again!

I just called IIE about this today. They said they hadn't received anything yet, but they will give us the news as soon as they know.

I know how you are feeling. I just want to know at this point, and start planning. I'm going to email the Finnish side tonight to see if I can get any further news.

Still crossing my fingers for you!

Well if all goes according to plan, I'll be a Divemaster by the end of May and will be able to legally assist with trainings and stuff. It's such a wonderful way to explore our world. It's the closest we will ever be to exploring another planet.

The states we could be placed in are all on the east coast, which appears to be where most of the diving is. I guess it would depend how far placement is from the ocean and particular dive sites. I will likely bring all of my stuff anyways.

This place looks sick: http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Perhentian_Islands.

Well...I did want to be an astronaut when I was little. :D Congrats on the Divemaster; it looks like an awesome position!

Perhentian Islands: OK, I can't look at that for too long because I will stop studying and practice swimming in my swim team's pool, bahaha. :D

A little late to the party, but I've been accepted as an ETA to Germany!     yay!

Congrats!!! Haha, love your username. Do you study philosophy? :)

Also don't forget to join our Facebook group if you haven't already! It's in my signature. :)

Finland applicant checking in: I'm still here, but haven't heard anything yet. It's officially the latest they've responded in at least 4 years. The nerves, they're wracked...

Congrats to those who were chosen!

Welcome! Glad you are with us! How is your Finnish coming along? Estonian is tough. I am missing the comfort of the Latin based languages.

I'm unsure what made them pick me, but I got a Fulbright ETA to Malaysia!

BlueLight: I wasn't joking about those SCUBA lessons, :D

--

If anyone is curious, the email subject heading was "Fulbright Application Status (P)" and it was sent at about noon (updated the Google Doc).It has that extra (P) which I hadn't seen before...not sure if that means anything.

--

Whatever your status is, I know things will work out! I applied for a scholarship in October and got rejected on the first stage. :( Other things will work out!

I'm so glad you got it!! Yay!

Edited by ecoponophobic

Eli: Thanks for the update, and for contacting all of these groups!

CrystalDee: For the group I want to research with, it would probably actually be better to learn Swedish. It's also the second official language of Finland, so that's one more reason. But honestly, everyone speaks English quite well so there's no real proficiency needed for any of them. It would still be good for me to learn it though, since it will probably be helpful in the future -- I'm working on it, but haven't been able to give it quite as much attention as I'd like since I've been kind of swamped this semester. I'm teaching a class and have to write my own exams, lecture notes, etc. On top of that I have 3 more talks to prepare this month (I just got done with another one a few hours ago), a challenging class, and my regular research... altogether I'm not left with too much time. I'm ready for this semester to be done.

Speaking of which...I need someone from China to promise to go to the Chengdu panda reserve and take pictures and post them!! Going there and holding a baby panda is at the top of my bucket list!!!

OMG!! Such a great idea...I think holding a panda might just be all the therapy a person could ever need in this life. Pandas are such noble creatures. If I do end up going I will make sure to go to Chengdu and then check out the pandas. I've always sort of thought about them as the manatees of the land - just big soft lovable slow-moving and, sadly, vulnerable creatures. 

Malaysia ETA 2014!!!!

Made the mistake of opening the email in class and completely lost it!

In case anyone is still debating who's sending them, mine was sent from IIE and said

"Shortly you will receive a letter from the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board with further details of the award." - snail mail

Good luck to everyone still waiting and I wish you all the very best in whatever comes next, regardless of what the email says. Although I wasn't a very active participant in this forum it was a really great source of information and just a good way to remind myself that I wasn't completely by myself in all of this.

Hope to see some of you in Malaysia next year!!

So I know some of us who haven't heard have been accepted to grad schools, and we need to inform them of our decision by April 15th. As that day is fast approaching, what are you guys planning on doing if you don't hear by this time next week?

I'm considering accepting an offer and giving up the Fulbright even if I'm selected. The gigs I've been offered are pretty good, and even though it'd be tough to give up the grant, I'd be able to sleep at night knowing I gave someone else the opportunity :)

I don't know about you, but I have accepted an offer from grad school already. If I get the Fulbright I would just defer my admission for a year, which is no problem with the program. Just find out if your grad schools allow you to defer admission after accepting their offer and this should clear things up for you.

faithfullywaiting, it says:

SAVE THE DATE

Dear Fulbright candidate:

You were recently notified that you have been recommended for further consideration for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship to Sub-Saharan Africa.  In the event that you are selected as a Fulbright grantee, you will be required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) in the Washington, DC area.   

The Pre-Departure Orientation will be held from Sunday, June 9 – Thursday, June 13, 2013.

Selected candidates will receive an official PDO invitation and registration instructions later this spring.  The costs associated with travel and accommodations for the length of the orientation will be covered by the U.S. Department of State. 

If you are aware of potential conflicts with these dates, please wait until you have received your notification of selection before completing a request for exemption.  Exemption requests are not guaranteed, and requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by representatives from the U.S. Department of State.

Thanks, I'm just going to assume it's only for ETA's :/

Malaysia ETA 2014!!!!

Made the mistake of opening the email in class and completely lost it!

In case anyone is still debating who's sending them, mine was sent from IIE and said

"Shortly you will receive a letter from the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board with further details of the award." - snail mail

Good luck to everyone still waiting and I wish you all the very best in whatever comes next, regardless of what the email says. Although I wasn't a very active participant in this forum it was a really great source of information and just a good way to remind myself that I wasn't completely by myself in all of this.

Hope to see some of you in Malaysia next year!!

Congratulations!! I don't know about anyone else, but I probably ran the "decision" through my head hundreds of times and visualized my reaction, acceptance or otherwise, sort of like that scene in the Matrix with Neo and the Architect. Oddly, the reaction I had at the specific time and place was not what I had anticipated...

ATTN: To those with Doctorate's that applied for a fulbright and are looking for a Plan B---I just got an email about another fulbright opportunity for those interested in Public Health. I'm a graduating senior so I don't qualify :( But it looks really cool and applications are do August 1st!!!!

2010_Globe%20Header%20resize.jpg

I am writing to inform you of exciting U.S. Fulbright Scholar grant opportunities in Europe and Eurasia in the field of public health. Applications for the 2014-15 academic year are currently being accepted from all levels of faculty and professionals, including early career.

We are soliciting applications for a broad range of awards in your field, including but not limited to:

Finland #4200 Fulbright-Saastamoinen Foundation Award in Health and Environmental Sciences
Denmark #4189 Public/Global Health: Nutrition and Health
Czech Republic #4182 Fulbright-Masaryk Award (NGO Management)
Ukraine #4348 Public Administration, NGO Management, Health Administration or Public Health
Russia #4312 Community College Faculty Award

Applicants must be U.S. citizens and hold a Ph.D. or appropriate professional/terminal degree at the time of application. The application deadline is August 1, 2013. 

In addition, All Disciplines awards are available in all countries in Europe and Eurasia and can be a good option if no discipline-focused award matches your expertise.  Please visit the 2014-15 Catalog of Awards at http://catalog.cies.org/index.aspx to learn more about the opportunities available in this year's competition. For most awards, English is sufficient for teaching and foreign language proficiency is only needed to the extent required by the proposed research project, if applicable.

For eligibility factors, detailed application guidelines and review criteria, please follow the link http://www.cies.org/us_scholars/us_awards. You may also wish to register for one of our webinars at http://www.cies.org/Webinar/ or join our online community, My Fulbright, a resource center for applicants interested in the program.

Please feel free to share this message via listservs, newsletters or social media. For further information about specific awards, please contact the program staff listed in the award description. 

Best wishes,

Europe/Eurasia CIES Staff
EuropeEurasia@iie.org
202-686-4000

So I know some of us who haven't heard have been accepted to grad schools, and we need to inform them of our decision by April 15th. As that day is fast approaching, what are you guys planning on doing if you don't hear by this time next week?

I'm considering accepting an offer and giving up the Fulbright even if I'm selected. The gigs I've been offered are pretty good, and even though it'd be tough to give up the grant, I'd be able to sleep at night knowing I gave someone else the opportunity :)

I am trying to figure out if I should send in my graduate school application and take my chances. I am so confused! Deep down I was hoping to know by now. My application must be in by April 16. :'(

Edited by CrystalDee

CrystalDee: For the group I want to research with, it would probably actually be better to learn Swedish. It's also the second official language of Finland, so that's one more reason. But honestly, everyone speaks English quite well so there's no real proficiency needed for any of them. It would still be good for me to learn it though, since it will probably be helpful in the future -- I'm working on it, but haven't been able to give it quite as much attention as I'd like since I've been kind of swamped this semester. I'm teaching a class and have to write my own exams, lecture notes, etc. On top of that I have 3 more talks to prepare this month (I just got done with another one a few hours ago), a challenging class, and my regular research... altogether I'm not left with too much time. I'm ready for this semester to be done.

Estonian isn't required for me. But, I am trying to pick some up. :) Sounds like you are quite busy. Good luck! Hopefully we will all hear soon.

Nope, no idea! It seemed that way to me as well, and so I just took a look at the Google Doc. Program-wise (versus volume of number of participants per program), there still remains 10 out of 16 Google-Doc-Reported programs for Western Europe. We only have a record of Austria, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, and UK reporting awards. We're still waiting on Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Italy, Malta, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, and Turkey!

Add on European Union to still waiting as well (finally added my info to the spreadsheet)!

I'm going to Thailand!!! Just found out yesterday. I couldn't be happier

Congrats!!!! Can we be friends? What's your email?

Congrats!!! Haha, love your username. Do you study philosophy? :)

Also don't forget to join our Facebook group if you haven't already! It's in my signature. :)

Indeed I do! Dennet's "Where am I?" was the first philosophy piece that I truly enjoyed every word of, so I decided to make it my username! Will join the facebook group now!

Edited by theregoesdennett