Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I GOT IT!!!  SRI LANKA HERE I COME!!!!

CONGRATSSS!!!!! I'm waiting to hear on a full-grant in South & Central Asia and going nuts. I got the "Save the date" email on Thursday and nearly died.

Awesome news- hoping the rest of the region follows suit and gives results shortly!

I received an ETA to Malaysia. Today has been a particularly rough morning, so I went from being really sad to exuberant. Not at all how I was expecting the news to be.

Good luck to everyone else applying and hopefully the fellow Malaysia ETAs here will receive some good news soon!

Okay, serious question: For those of you that have a steady job at the moment, when do you plan on telling your employer about your award? I would like to try and reapply when I get back, so I definitely want to stay in good standing. I'm just afraid if I tell them too earlier, they will let me go. On the other hand, if I do tell them earlier, they might be more willing to work with me!! My boss is seems pretty understanding most of the time, so I hope things will work out..

Any thoughts?

Mine already knows, and there is about an 8 month lag time between now and departure. It's probably a case by case basis sort of thing.

I received an ETA to Malaysia. Today has been a particularly rough morning, so I went from being really sad to exuberant. Not at all how I was expecting the news to be.   Good luck to everyone else applying and hopefully the fellow Malaysia ETAs here will receive some good news soon!
Awesome! Sounds like you got it at the perfect time.

So, I took the plunge and emailed Ashley Prather, the Caribbean and Central America coordinator, to see if she knew about a notification date for us. This was her response:

"Unfortunately, I do not. Last year these came in mid-May, with the budget situation this year it could be later. I am actively working to prevent that this year; however, typically this region is one of the last to announce the awards due to the regional funding structure. Don’t worry and keep waiting – no news is good news!"

Looks like plenty of waiting for us :( Stupid sequester!

Greetings all! I came across this forum hunting for news on the Fulbright ETAs-- it's good to know there's a community out here that shares the (seemingly) endless purgatory that is the Fulbright application process. I'm a recommended candidate for an ETA in Madrid, so I'll add my info to the list. Good luck to everyone!

How can you be recommended for a specific region? I thought you didn't get placed much later.

Edited by dessert_indulgence

So, I took the plunge and emailed Ashley Prather, the Caribbean and Central America coordinator, to see if she knew about a notification date for us. This was her response:

"Unfortunately, I do not. Last year these came in mid-May, with the budget situation this year it could be later. I am actively working to prevent that this year; however, typically this region is one of the last to announce the awards due to the regional funding structure. Don’t worry and keep waiting – no news is good news!"

SHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Oh man... "The budget situation?" I hope that doesn't mean that our region and Sub-Saharan Africa are absorbing the cuts... I'm assuming that you repeated the email verbatim, but on the off chance that you didn't - did she indicate that there would be fewer awards for our group? Ugh...

Thanks for doing this, though. My anxiety is definitely eased knowing that I can relax for the next month and not choke everytime I open my inbox.

Edited by rtlc06

I think we all kind of, in the back of our minds, knew the sequester was messing with the process. Okay, I have been openly telling people that it is. But, many of the prior dates are in April, so we are still within the window. No reason to worry, maybe if it were mid-May, I might worry; the beginning of April, not so much.

I received an ETA to Malaysia. Today has been a particularly rough morning, so I went from being really sad to exuberant. Not at all how I was expecting the news to be.

Good luck to everyone else applying and hopefully the fellow Malaysia ETAs here will receive some good news soon!

Wonderful!! So excited for you!! Isn't it amazing how quickly your mood can do a 180?!

Yesterday, i was walking on cloud nine! I went and had the best Zumba class ever! Could not stop smiling!! The rush of dopamine and seratonin (i guess!) was amazing!!

A baby Fulbright? What is that, exaclty?

:)

I think they mean Student Fulbright vs. Fulbright-Hays.

For those of you accepted, are you more productive now? Or am I just deluding myself into thinking that I'll be more productive once I hear?

Yeah, I think so, too! I just don't know what to do in my case!! What was your employer's reaction, if you don't mind me asking?

Well he straight up wrote one of my recommendations. He is also a saint in all ways possible and I will never have a better boss for as long as I live. So my situation probably isn't very helpful or representative...

It seems your intuition is telling you to keep it kind of secret though?

Okay, serious question: For those of you that have a steady job at the moment, when do you plan on telling your employer about your award? I would like to try and reapply when I get back, so I definitely want to stay in good standing. I'm just afraid if I tell them too earlier, they will let me go. On the other hand, if I do tell them earlier, they might be more willing to work with me!! My boss is seems pretty understanding most of the time, so I hope things will work out..

Any thoughts?

My direct supervisor already knew, I told them about it in January, when they revealed the results of my annual review. That supervisor got promoted, and my new supervisor as of February has been a friend, so I told him too, as it came up in conversation about any plans for the future. A few other coworkers know, and everyone has been rather trustworthy, because I haven't gotten any random people asking about it (unlike other rumours, like yesterday when I had a coworker congratulate me for my engagement...I'm not engaged, not even close, lol). I actually inquired back in December or January with a senior manager in another department about a position that will be opening up in a couple months. I spoke with him yesterday about the position (now I know there will be three positions opening up), and I didn't mention Fulbrigh, because this is my backup plan if I don't get it, and there is no reason to worry him with a may or may not happen scenario. I'm comfortable with my direct supervisors knowing because the project team we are on is wrapping up anyway, so we'll all eventually go into another role in the company the end of 2013 or mid-2014.  What kind of role do you have at your work?

Well he straight up wrote one of my recommendations. He is also a saint in all ways possible and I will never have a better boss for as long as I live. So my situation probably isn't very helpful or representative...

It seems your intuition is telling you to keep it kind of secret though?

Wow, what a great boss! That's awesome!

I don't know, really. I don't think I should tell them now, maybe like.. a few months before I leave? Two, three, maybe?

I feel like my gut is actually saying, give a lot more than two weeks notice, they might actually work with you. BUT. that could just be me being overly optimistic/ hopeful. I've also thougth about asking a coworker I trust, but I'm kind of afraid to trust him to much. That might end up biting me as well; I've always been taught not to trust your coworkers that you think are your friends. :( I hate that.

My direct supervisor already knew, I told them about it in January, when they revealed the results of my annual review. That supervisor got promoted, and my new supervisor as of February has been a friend, so I told him too, as it came up in conversation about any plans for the future. A few other coworkers know, and everyone has been rather trustworthy, because I haven't gotten any random people asking about it (unlike other rumours, like yesterday when I had a coworker congratulate me for my engagement...I'm not engaged, not even close, lol). I actually inquired back in December or January with a senior manager in another department about a position that will be opening up in a couple months. I spoke with him yesterday about the position (now I know there will be three positions opening up), and I didn't mention Fulbrigh, because this is my backup plan if I don't get it, and there is no reason to worry him with a may or may not happen scenario. I'm comfortable with my direct supervisors knowing because the project team we are on is wrapping up anyway, so we'll all eventually go into another role in the company the end of 2013 or mid-2014.  What kind of role do you have at your work?

Hmm, sounds like you made the right choice in telling them. I just didn't think there was any reason to mention it at all until I knew for sure.  That's funny about someone asking you if you are engaged.. I have a coworker that jokingly always asks about my husband, even though he knows I'm not married.

I'm pretty sure he just does it because he knows it annoys me!!

My role seems to be pretty secure.. I work in a dept with about 5 other people who do the same thing, so they aren't going to be like, lost without me. We had recently hired a couple new people as our workload increased, but then one of them accepted anoter position, and the company decided not to replace her. So I kind of wonder if they would just decide they don't really need to replace me either, or , if they might be willing to hold it for me? I HAVE NO IDEA. Which is why I wonder if I shouldn't just talk to them. I would love to come back here, post Fulbright, if at all possible, but that might be overly optimistic. I've been working in this office since Dec of 2011, but was a contractor from Dec 2011 to June 2012, so I am technically just coming up on my one year mark. I think it's a little early to make any declarations, but I want to have a plan!! :)