Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

For what it's worth, the Central American/Caribbean applicants are still here! 

Amen we are! They didn't find out until May 9th last year... I swear, if Fulbright makes us wait until the middle of finals to let us know...Help us out Fulbright! We have to make real-world decisions!!!

For what it's worth, the Central American/Caribbean applicants are still here!

Haha this totally made me chuckle... I have a feeling you guys will be able to bank on us for a looooong time...

But.... It looks like in the 2011-2012 cycle they heard back 4/7... Maybe we'll be that lucky... Maybe? Fingers crossed for Fulbrights for all of us!! :-)

Edited by rtlc06

Wow, I'm surprised they even gave you that level of specificity, that they basically have the results and are trying to get them out, no?

Yeah, me too. He said that it was just a hope and that I should talk to Eileen O'Malley in case she knows more, but she's out of the office until tomorrow.

Congrats! Where will you be based?

Thanks! I'm not sure where I'll be based actually. For the graduating senior award, we were instructed NOT to contact people in Japan, but to create projects that could be carried out in a range of locations and then we would be placed by Fulbright. 

What about you?

hahahahahahaha. I'm glad someone enjoys my sense of humor! It usually just gets me into trouble!! B) Thanks again!! I will be crossing my fingers for you, I hope you hear SOON!!!

Me too!! But, I really don't think it will be until the end of the month. It's cool, we can all live vicariously through you guys a bit. Lol!!

Thanks! I'm not sure where I'll be based actually. For the graduating senior award, we were instructed NOT to contact people in Japan, but to create projects that could be carried out in a range of locations and then we would be placed by Fulbright. 

What about you?

Oh, I didn't realize they were so different! I'll be at Gakushuin in Tokyo. I've lived in Kyoto and Shikoku before, but not Tokyo yet! Wherever you'll be placed, I'm sure it will be great.

For my university's senior thesis component, I am researching monastic accounts of ghost stories in the high medieval period. Purgatorial suffering invariably springs up as a common theme. Ironically, the Fulbright process has allowed me to relate to my research material in a way that I did not intend. Gotta look for the positives

Yeah, we Malaysian folk (with 75 ETA spots available) will keep this thread alive, too. :D

Congrats to everyone who made it, good luck alternates, and for those who didn't make it: it is still huge you made it that far and things--whatever way they will-will work out! :)

For my university's senior thesis component, I am researching monastic accounts of ghost stories in the high medieval period. Purgatorial suffering invariably springs up as a common theme. Ironically, the Fulbright process has allowed me to relate to my research material in a way that I did not intend. Gotta look for the positives

haha, seriously. I'm doing my thesis on substance use and anxiety, and so my whole project has basically turned into "ME"search...

Yeah, we Malaysian folk (with 75 ETA spots available) will keep this thread alive, too. :D

Congrats to everyone who made it, good luck alternates, and for those who didn't make it: it is still huge you made it that far and things--whatever way they will-will work out! :)

Well, let's hope we don't keep it alive for too much longer!

Alternate for Germany.... :(

Alternate status for Germany ETA... *sigh*

I have to commit to one of the other things I have planned for next year within the next week, so it looks like I'm not going.

Congratulations to everyone that was accepted!

Hey guys, I got the alternate email for Germany too. Pretty strange feeling, not knowing if I should go on with my life or not. I wonder if they even sent out any declinations, or just altnernate emails? That would make the likelihood of going much smaller, I guess!

Good luck to all of you guys, and big *hug* from a fellow alternate!

-Cheryl

A bit late (was flying / then celebrating at lunch) but — me too, me too! Officially an ETA grantee to Germany!

I got the e-mail when I was standing in line at TSA at the airport... I read it and gasped and subsequently started shaking (naturally...). Then, called about 6 numbers in my phone until someone answered (@IchBinIch) and started freaking out! In my daze I tried walking through the metal detector still wearing my watch, shoes, and talking on my phone... pretty sure security thought I was on drugs. O:) Oh well! I am a scholar!!!!!!!  :P

Hey guys, I got the alternate email for Germany too. Pretty strange feeling, not knowing if I should go on with my life or not. I wonder if they even sent out any declinations, or just altnernate emails? That would make the likelihood of going much smaller, I guess!

Good luck to all of you guys, and big *hug* from a fellow alternate!

-Cheryl

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that. I know it must have been really difficult to read that email. Is this your first time appying? If so, you should be darn PROUD that you made it that far!! This is my second go, and I didn't even make it past the first round, the first time!! I was convinced that I was going to get alt status this time.. so I contemplated quite a bit what I would do in that scenario. I think I would probably carry on as if I weren't going to get it, but still make sure to keep the possibility open. But that is just me. There are so many ETA spots that I would think, surely someone would have to turn down a spot for a graduate assistantship or something of that ilk. It's still always possible, so keep your chin up!!!

A bit late (was flying / then celebrating at lunch) but — me too, me too! Officially an ETA grantee to Germany!

I got the e-mail when I was standing in line at TSA at the airport... I read it and gasped and subsequently started shaking (naturally...). Then, called about 6 numbers in my phone until someone answered (@IchBinIch) and started freaking out! In my daze I tried walking through the metal detector still wearing my watch, shoes, and talking on my phone... pretty sure security thought I was on drugs. O:) Oh well! I am a scholar!!!!!!!  :P

Awesommmmeee! Congrats!!!!

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that. I know it must have been really difficult to read that email. Is this your first time appying? If so, you should be darn PROUD that you made it that far!! This is my second go, and I didn't even make it past the first round, the first time!! I was convinced that I was going to get alt status this time.. so I contemplated quite a bit what I would do in that scenario. I think I would probably carry on as if I weren't going to get it, but still make sure to keep the possibility open. But that is just me. There are so many ETA spots that I would think, surely someone would have to turn down a spot for a graduate assistantship or something of that ilk. It's still always possible, so keep your chin up!!!

Thank you! It is my first time applying, so that's reassuring. I just wish there was some way to know how many alternates they listed! Fulbright just loves being so ...mysterious ... :blink:

Any news from Torrid yet?

She got it!! I definitely remember her saying she got it, because I had a premonition some weeks ago that we both would get it - I  dreamed I met her at the orientation and she had short blond hair with teal highlights!! When I mentioned it before we both had a good laugh and hoped it meant we would both make it!! Heck yeah, clairvoyance! Now if I can just convince her to dye her hair to complete the prophecy!!! :B

Thank you! It is my first time applying, so that's reassuring. I just wish there was some way to know how many alternates they listed! Fulbright just loves being so ...mysterious ... :blink:

Yeah, making it that far your first time, is IMO, a pretty big deal!! So you should DEFINITELY apply again!! My FPA had to apply like, seven times before he got his award!! I don't think it will take you that many tries :)