Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Wow, what a great boss! That's awesome!

I don't know, really. I don't think I should tell them now, maybe like.. a few months before I leave? Two, three, maybe?

I feel like my gut is actually saying, give a lot more than two weeks notice, they might actually work with you. BUT. that could just be me being overly optimistic/ hopeful. I've also thougth about asking a coworker I trust, but I'm kind of afraid to trust him to much. That might end up biting me as well; I've always been taught not to trust your coworkers that you think are your friends. :( I hate that.

For what it's worth, I've told 2 previous bosses (or bosses at 2 previous jobs) about leaving to go to grad school.  I did what you're thinking about doing: gave them about 6 weeks to 2 months notice.  That's enough to allow them to plan for your departure (which means you have to help with the planning, but I guess that's just part of it) but not too much time so they feel they can let you go.  I always felt like that was a good compromise between 2 weeks notice and too too much notice.

For what it's worth, I've told 2 previous bosses (or bosses at 2 previous jobs) about leaving to go to grad school.  I did what you're thinking about doing: gave them about 6 weeks to 2 months notice.  That's enough to allow them to plan for your departure (which means you have to help with the planning, but I guess that's just part of it) but not too much time so they feel they can let you go.  I always felt like that was a good compromise between 2 weeks notice and too too much notice.

That's what I'm thinking!!! thanks!! It might be prudent to add though, that there are plenty of other people in my dept that could provide adequate training, so it's not like I would have to train someone should they decide to replace me. I would be very surprised if they, did, though. I think they have enough people to make do.

Oh man... "The budget situation?" I hope that doesn't mean that our region and Sub-Saharan Africa are absorbing the cuts... I'm assuming that you repeated the email verbatim, but on the off chance that you didn't - did she indicate that there would be fewer awards for our group? Ugh...

Thanks for doing this, though. My anxiety is definitely eased knowing that I can relax for the next month and not choke everytime I open my inbox.

Yeah, I copied the email verbatim. I really hope this doesn't mean fewer awards for our group, or any others  :(

That's what I'm thinking!!! thanks!! It might be prudent to add though, that there are plenty of other people in my dept that could provide adequate training, so it's not like I would have to train someone should they decide to replace me. I would be very surprised if they, did, though. I think they have enough people to make do.

If nothing else, 6-8 weeks would allow you to be confident in telling them, rather than sheepish and a bit concerned about either 2 weeks or, say, tomorrow.  Especially given that you want to at least maybe keep the job post-Fulbright, you want to appear as confident and composed as you can.  It'll be a mental and emotional boost for you, if nothing else.

Wow, what a great boss! That's awesome!

I don't know, really. I don't think I should tell them now, maybe like.. a few months before I leave? Two, three, maybe?

I feel like my gut is actually saying, give a lot more than two weeks notice, they might actually work with you. BUT. that could just be me being overly optimistic/ hopeful. I've also thougth about asking a coworker I trust, but I'm kind of afraid to trust him to much. That might end up biting me as well; I've always been taught not to trust your coworkers that you think are your friends. :( I hate that.

Yea, you should only tell coworkers things that you won't mind others knowing. I work for a big company (20,000 employees) and since I'm proud about Fulbright, and I know it will help me in my career, I don't mind if anybody knows. My research is directly related with the work I do now, and I see it as an opportunity to be more competitive when I come back. My supervisors are supportive (even though one told me that he wishes I could do it and stay, lol). The other supervisor is younger and much more supportive of me taking opportunities as they are available. The only risk for me is that if a hiring manager knows I'm leaving, I believe they could hesitate to promote me. But, since I wouldn't take a promotion if I know I would be leaving in a few months, it doesn't really matter. I hope I find out soon! Right now I'm positioning myself for a promotion as a backup, and I'm starting to really like my job, so I have tons of mixed feelings about it all. Fulbright really is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but I don't want to miss out on another opportunity for growth just because I'm in limbo!

By the way, the people I have told, I was completely comfortable telling. It just felt sad to keep it to myself! Especially when my supervisor asks me where I see myself in 5 years, lol.

Yea, you should only tell coworkers things that you won't mind others knowing. I work for a big company (20,000 employees) and since I'm proud about Fulbright, and I know it will help me in my career, I don't mind if anybody knows. My research is directly related with the work I do now, and I see it as an opportunity to be more competitive when I come back. My supervisors are supportive (even though one told me that he wishes I could do it and stay, lol). The other supervisor is younger and much more supportive of me taking opportunities as they are available. The only risk for me is that if a hiring manager knows I'm leaving, I believe they could hesitate to promote me. But, since I wouldn't take a promotion if I know I would be leaving in a few months, it doesn't really matter. I hope I find out soon! Right now I'm positioning myself for a promotion as a backup, and I'm starting to really like my job, so I have tons of mixed feelings about it all. Fulbright really is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but I don't want to miss out on another opportunity for growth just because I'm in limbo!

By the way, the people I have told, I was completely comfortable telling. It just felt sad to keep it to myself! Especially when my supervisor asks me where I see myself in 5 years, lol.

Thanks for the advice! I want to share it with my coworker friend, because I know he will be happy for me, but you are right about not telling it if I don't want it to get around. I probably need to just wait for a few months until I feel more comfortable about it.

I can't comment on the Fulbright IIE. However, when I applied for the Fulbright-Hays we had to have a medical clearance in the application. This  was the requirement:

24. Certification

List date of physical. Enter the name of the physician or certified nurse practitioner who can testify that the candidate named in this application is physically and psychologically able to carry out all phases of the project as described in this proposal.

So basically, it just required a doctor's note saying that you were healthy enough to complete your project. For me that meant sitting and reading documents. The standard would obviously be different for a biologist that's applying to study monkeys in central Borneo. If this fictional biologist had some condition that required them to be near a comprehensive pharmacy or hospital... well then that would probably disqualify them. So, it wasn't a strict military-esque list of conditions that disqualify you, just that your doctor felt you could complete the project.

Thank you.

I received an ETA to Malaysia. Today has been a particularly rough morning, so I went from being really sad to exuberant. Not at all how I was expecting the news to be.

Good luck to everyone else applying and hopefully the fellow Malaysia ETAs here will receive some good news soon!

CONGRATS!! Teaching for a year in Malaysia sounds AWESOME! 

(Now I'm just crossing my fingers that Vietnam will be next. C'mon!)

I think they mean Student Fulbright vs. Fulbright-Hays.

For those of you accepted, are you more productive now? Or am I just deluding myself into thinking that I'll be more productive once I hear?

I have been sending thank you e-mails to various people and such. I'm generally unproductive at work, so, in a way, I am being productive?

Hmm, sounds like you made the right choice in telling them. I just didn't think there was any reason to mention it at all until I knew for sure.  That's funny about someone asking you if you are engaged.. I have a coworker that jokingly always asks about my husband, even though he knows I'm not married.

I'm pretty sure he just does it because he knows it annoys me!!

My role seems to be pretty secure.. I work in a dept with about 5 other people who do the same thing, so they aren't going to be like, lost without me. We had recently hired a couple new people as our workload increased, but then one of them accepted anoter position, and the company decided not to replace her. So I kind of wonder if they would just decide they don't really need to replace me either, or , if they might be willing to hold it for me? I HAVE NO IDEA. Which is why I wonder if I shouldn't just talk to them. I would love to come back here, post Fulbright, if at all possible, but that might be overly optimistic. I've been working in this office since Dec of 2011, but was a contractor from Dec 2011 to June 2012, so I am technically just coming up on my one year mark. I think it's a little early to make any declarations, but I want to have a plan!! :)

Yea, maybe you can reframe the way you think about it. You can decide that you don't want to unnecessarily burden them with too much information. Why have them worry about having to hire another person for 4 months? Better just to tell them what they need to know when they need to know it. Ignorance is bliss afterall.

This one office I go to from time to time is a giant rumourmill. It cracks me up because I know one person who admitted to me that they enjoy spreading rumors for fun :huh: . I thought it was totally demonic at the time. :rolleyes: Now I know who not to trust. It made me laugh, because it's not a bad rumor, but it was ridiculous. Anybody watch Game of Thrones? I love that show :D, it's taught me a lot about politics.

Thank you! I hope the best for you!

I wonder how much interaction there is between grantees from different countries in the same region that have a fair amount of grants?

I'm right there with you on Vietnam. I mean even Laos reported last week. It's beginning to seem like all of Southeast Asia has reported. I talked to the Fulbright staff in Hanoi and they said they were forwarding my email to the IIE. Maybe that means they already sent in the results? 

Not selected for an ETA to Taiwan :(

I have a favor to ask those who were selected for a Taiwan ETA, in case I decide to apply again - can you all say whether you had teaching experience/want to be teachers? 

I think that was the weak part of my application - I am a business major and although I have had some volunteer experiences with kids, I am not an education major and don't plan to teach as a career.

If that does matter a lot to Taiwan, not sure it would be worthwhile to apply again.

Well, we are halfway! Of the 253 that recorded their Recommended status, 126 have yet to report a change in status, and 127 have reported as accepted, rejected, or alternate. So, according to the data in the Google doc, less than 126 of us are still waiting. It's great to see progress!

Edit: And our current acceptance rate so far for the forum and google doc participants is 57% (88/154).

Edited by lunita

I'm right there with you on Vietnam. I mean even Laos reported last week. It's beginning to seem like all of Southeast Asia has reported. I talked to the Fulbright staff in Hanoi and they said they were forwarding my email to the IIE. Maybe that means they already sent in the results? 

Sweet, I thought I was the only Vietnam applicant slightly active on this board! It's nice to commiserate with someone haha. 

Well, we are halfway! Of the 253 that recorded their Recommended status, 126 have yet to report a change in status, and 127 have reported as accepted, rejected, or alternate. So, according to the data in the Google doc, less than 126 of us are still waiting. It's great to see progress!

Edit: And our current acceptance rate so far for the forum and google doc participants is 57% (88/154).

I'm surprised we're ONLY halfway through. It feels like all the big programs have been notified - now it's just the little guys left waiting to hear I guess. Thanks for the data analysis though!

Hey lunita!  Any theories on when we'll hear from Switzerland?  It seems like its one of the last Western European countries to report.

Hey lunita!  Any theories on when we'll hear from Switzerland?  It seems like its one of the last Western European countries to report.
Scandinavia has yet to hear as well! I'm really hoping to hear this week.

Yea, maybe you can reframe the way you think about it. You can decide that you don't want to unnecessarily burden them with too much information. Why have them worry about having to hire another person for 4 months? Better just to tell them what they need to know when they need to know it. Ignorance is bliss afterall.

This one office I go to from time to time is a giant rumourmill. It cracks me up because I know one person who admitted to me that they enjoy spreading rumors for fun :huh: . I thought it was totally demonic at the time. :rolleyes: Now I know who not to trust. It made me laugh, because it's not a bad rumor, but it was ridiculous. Anybody watch Game of Thrones? I love that show :D, it's taught me a lot about politics.

Ha! Sometimes the daily grind of office life can lead one to do things they wouldn't normally, like spreading rumours. Just look at The Office! It's hyperbolized, but there is some truth in it!! Some days i really feel like I am working in that office.

Yep, I watch Game of Thrones! I just started the second season,and I kno whwat you mean!!

Not selected for an ETA to Taiwan :(

I have a favor to ask those who were selected for a Taiwan ETA, in case I decide to apply again - can you all say whether you had teaching experience/want to be teachers? 

I think that was the weak part of my application - I am a business major and although I have had some volunteer experiences with kids, I am not an education major and don't plan to teach as a career.

If that does matter a lot to Taiwan, not sure it would be worthwhile to apply again.

So sorry to hear you weren't selected.. those tricksy Fulbright awarders :(

Sending big hugs your way.. but try again!!!!

I can't speak for other Taiwan ETA's, but I received an ETA to Germany, and I have no formal teaching experience. The closest thing I have was being the program director and instructor for a summer camp horseback riding program!!! I can only hope it helped, since I have had experience with kids from ages 6-16! Imagine trying to keep a bunch of six year olds on horseback in line!! Crazyness! Actually.. just trying to get them ON the horses was bad enough............

So sorry to hear you weren't selected.. those tricksy Fulbright awarders :(

Sending big hugs your way.. but try again!!!!

I can't speak for other Taiwan ETA's, but I received an ETA to Germany, and I have no formal teaching experience. The closest thing I have was being the program director and instructor for a summer camp horseback riding program!!! I can only hope it helped, since I have had experience with kids from ages 6-16! Imagine trying to keep a bunch of six year olds on horseback in line!! Crazyness! Actually.. just trying to get them ON the horses was bad enough............

There were also some pretty lengthy conversations about this a handful of pages prior if anyone is interested.