Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

This is REDONKULOUS.

When are the rest of you guys going to hear?!?!

GET IT TOGETHER, COUNTRIES!!!

Thanks for sympathizing with us! At least one positive is that Caribbean/Central America knows not to expect to hear until May probably. Less day-to-day stress, but more overall stress in not knowing what direction our lives are heading!

My theory is: one more day my hopes are still alive and I survived another day. But really, being in limbo is awful!

That is a much better perspective!  I should adopt it :)

Thanks for sympathizing with us! At least one positive is that Caribbean/Central America knows not to expect to hear until May probably. Less day-to-day stress, but more overall stress in not knowing what direction our lives are heading!

NP. I just want everyone to know and then we ETAs can agonize over our placement.

Although, actually, I really don't care WHERE they put me because...

I'M GOING TO GERMANNNNNYYYYYYYYYYY!

NP. I just want everyone to know and then we ETAs can agonize over our placement.

Although, actually, I really don't care WHERE they put me because...

I'M GOING TO GERMANNNNNYYYYYYYYYYY!

YEA!!! I am so thrilled for you!

Damn you blizzard fan club!  I open my email and see one new email!  ah...not from fulbright but oooh, blizzard fan club!  I'll take a buy one get one blizzard!  except it's just an advertisement for their new blizzard flavor, which sounds delicious...chocolate covered pretzel, but for real, throw me a frickin' bone here!

If you do indeed get the Fulbright, I suggest you go out and celebrate by buying a chocolate covered pretzel blizzard. And if you don't get the Fulbright, drown your sorrows in a blizzard. It's a win-win situation!

apologies, I am being too Russo-centric :) Georgia sounds amazing, and you'd definitely eat better than those in the cold, hard north. 

No worries! I absolutely love Russia.  If I don't get the Fulbright, I am considering going back to Russia to teach. :) 

Two questions:

(1) Did anybody else here apply for Tanzania?  If so, do you have an estimate of when we should hear back?

(2) On the Fulbright Statistics site: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics, does anybody know if the "Applications" number is the total number of applications, or just the ones forwarded to the last stage?  

If the latter is the case, does that mean that only half of the total has been forwarded to the Final-round committee?

Thanks.

On (2), I think they mean total number of applications. i read somewhere that they accept 50-67% of Finalists.

~Ibrahim~

It's the latest my country has been announced since 2009. C'mon FSB just approve those applications already!

I was thinking the same thing today about your country. Hopefully you will find out soon! Fingers crossed for ya!

*that sounded creepy and stalker-ish, I was just trying to figure out who would be here until May, like me.

Edited by CrystalDee

It's the latest my country has been announced since 2009. C'mon FSB just approve those applications already!

wtf norway. must be gettin all distracted eating potatoes and cross country skiing

I was thinking the same thing today about your country. Hopefully you will find out soon! Fingers crossed for ya!

*that sounded creepy and stalker-ish, I was just trying to figure out who would be here until May, like me.

With a country like the one to which I am applying, there is no telling when it will send out notifications.  I could also be here in May.  :) Have you been to Estonia? The closest I have ever been to Estonia was within one mile of its border in Russia.  My cell phone thought I was in Estonia.  (I apologize if this has already been discussed, that was a many pages ago).   :)

Ah! Yes I wish there were some perfect way that those offered the grant get some other wonderful offer and the alternates would all get in. That way the general happiness would be maximized. 

The mention of TB testing and Jordan in the same place reminds me of having to submit to an AIDS test in Syria when I was at Damascus University (which recently suffered a shelling attack by the regime forces...irhal ya bashar). I just hope the facilities for testing are less questionable than the ones there. ya amirah anti bta7ki 3arabi? shu biddak btadrusi fil mamlakat al-hashimiyya?

Happy Easter everyone. Here's hoping no one has any bad April Fools' experiences re: Fulbright. And please no one try to perpetrate any here...! Nerves seem to be fragile.

نعم، أتكلم العربية ,لكن قرأت أفضل

but I have a very hard time reading transiliteration. :-)

I had to have an AIDS test in Jordan once before and it was clean and efficient but truly a bizarre experience. Truly bizarre.

Normally, I tend to be pretty silly on this forum, to ease the tension and keep up the good vibes, but I just want to give a heartfelt thank you for saying that! As if receiving that email wasn't enough!! Serioiusly, that is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me, much less an internet stranger!! Thanks so much for looking out for me, it really means a lot! I'm sure all the good vibes my friends here on this forum were sending my way must have had some sort of cosmic influence over the Fulbright board!! Seriously, thank you!!!

Edit: Ok, I thought of something silly!!! Those aren't tears... that's just from the onions I've been cutting :P:wub:

Hahhaa I came on just to see if you got one too! Congrats!

If you do indeed get the Fulbright, I suggest you go out and celebrate by buying a chocolate covered pretzel blizzard. And if you don't get the Fulbright, drown your sorrows in a blizzard. It's a win-win situation!

haha, you know me so well!