Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Yeah, it's pretty much safety issues: they think everyone's crazy because marihuana is legal :)

Also, it's the fact they know very little about Kingston or London, so they just think London's automatically better because it's in a "first world" country.

Marijuana is not legal in Jamaica.

source: my husband was born and raised in Kingston. (If you have any questions or concerns about your time there you can shoot me a msg and I'll consult with him)

Edited by vinyl

Hi everyone! I followed the same template as the country specific groups. I decided to make a group for Fulbright ETA 2013-2014 as something of a support network and place to exchange ideas amongst other ETAs, especially those who may not have as many colleagues in country.

That group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/123328967859396/

I also made a group for Fulbright Malaysia ETA 2013-2014: https://www.facebook.com/groups/128307870688089/.

I hope to see some people join! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!!

Oh man! I really want to join, but I'm that weirdo without a facebook. This may be the thing that makes me cave!

Here's hoping we can all put this waiting business out of mind at least til Monday. Sike- impossible! Luckily I have been traveling a lot for pleasurable business (not what it sounds like...it's for work, but fun) so time is passing more quickly than it otherwise has waiting on an answer. I feel like time is suspended, like I'm witnessing myself in a perpetual state of waiting not knowing the future.

Question: for anyone hoping to rely on interviews or human subjects, would you do the IRB (independent review board) through a school, or through Fulb? Or do we have to?

Wow...Dallas your horrible airport music is just compoundig the sense of absurdity

Oh man! I really want to join, but I'm that weirdo without a facebook. This may be the thing that makes me cave!

Don't cave! More people need to exist outside that forum which has become a sinister project in predatory capitalism.

Hi everyone! I followed the same template as the country specific groups. I decided to make a group for Fulbright ETA 2013-2014 as something of a support network and place to exchange ideas amongst other ETAs, especially those who may not have as many colleagues in country.

That group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/123328967859396/

I also made a group for Fulbright Malaysia ETA 2013-2014: https://www.facebook.com/groups/128307870688089/.

I hope to see some people join! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!!

Yay thanks for making this! Just sent my request to the general group! :)

Here's hoping we can all put this waiting business out of mind at least til Monday. Sike- impossible! Luckily I have been traveling a lot for pleasurable business (not what it sounds like...it's for work, but fun) so time is passing more quickly than it otherwise has waiting on an answer. I feel like time is suspended, like I'm witnessing myself in a perpetual state of waiting not knowing the future.

Question: for anyone hoping to rely on interviews or human subjects, would you do the IRB (independent review board) through a school, or through Fulb? Or do we have to?

Wow...Dallas your horrible airport music is just compoundig the sense of absurdity

Generally unless you are currently affiliated with a university or college you cannot go through the IRB process so it is a moot point. If, however, you are currently a student and you hope to use this research for something school related you may have to go through the process, depending on your project of course. 

If you are an alumni, like me, but hope to use your Fulbright research for future dissertation research, like me, things can get a little sticky but it is not un-overcome-able. I had several long conversations about this subject with my school. I have had to do the IRB process before and it is a nightmare for social scientists so if you don't have to do it count yourself lucky. In my case my faculty was going to sort of 'sign off as a co-researcher' on my project so we could get it through the IRB process and thus I would be able to use the data I collected in my PhD work. Hopefully that may still come true. :-)

Just remember human subjects is a school or research facility based thing. Fulbright just wants you to be familiar with, and able to exercise, ethical standards in research. If your app got this far they think you have that skill. 

From Fulbright:

"Ethical Requirements: Applicants proposing research involving human beings or animals as research subjects who plan to formally publish the results or to use the results in a graduate program should have their projects vetted by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) at their home institutions. At-large applicants should conduct an individual ethics review ensuring that their proposed projects are consistent with ethical standards for research involving humans as research participants as outlined in the National Guidelines for Human Subjects Research(U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Extramural Research, National Institutes of Health), in the National Guidelines for Animal Welfare at the National Institutes of Health’s Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare or other applicable internationally recognized ethics guidance documents.

Human subjects research includes: clinical investigations (any experiment or study on one or more persons which involves a test product/article, whether a drug, treatment, procedure or device); social-behavioral studies which entail interaction with or observation of people, especially vulnerable populations (i.e., as minors, pregnant women, inmates, drug-users, the mentally impaired, displaced/refugee populations); and, basic scientific research to study the biology of animals, persons or organs and specimens thereof. The most fundamental issues in studies involving human research subjects include: valid scientific questions and approaches; potential social value; favorable risk-benefit ratio; fair selection of study participants and an adequately administered informed consent process."

Edited by amirah

I had at least 6 people ask me about Fulbright today! So, I got to tell the story 6 different times about how my life is in limbo. I did go ahead and agree to take an elected position in my county party today. I can't continue to put my life on hold while waiting. Lol!!

In other news, after careful consideration I've decided that weekends are not in fact better than weekdays. Bring on Monday!
The only time in my life I've looked forward to Monday!

The only time in my life I've looked forward to Monday!

I don't know about looking forward to Monday, but it'd be nice to know! I'm still waiting on Whitaker or if anybody turns down a Fulbright (ha), and that's my last chance for the year to get to the UK.....

Edited by Anon314

Someone came up to me at church and said, "Awww...you still haven't heard about your thing, have you?" Like my skin has the dull hue of someone wrought with anxiety. Weekends are not really better at this point. Lol!!

Hi all,

I'm a Fulbright Germany Full Grant grantee and I'm wondering if the fulbright Germany ETA facebook group can be open to all Germany fulbrighters (including Full grant). I'm not sure if there is a general one, but it would be nice to connect with anyone going to Germany...

Actually, after spending the whole day following Syrian uprising-related media, I have to confess to a certain ambivalence about living for 10 months in a country which is an ally of such a regime. Of course I would absolutely still go, but it makes me wonder what kind of conversations I'll have with people, what I'll have to be careful about on the Internet, and, even more so, what my own biases and privileges are. When I lived in Syria I saw firsthand the depth of the control over public discourse, and it makes me seethe to think about those methods of policing. I'm even reluctant to write freely here because who knows? maybe monitoring sites like this is part of the bureaucratic process for foreign scholars. Many Sinologists have been blacklisted for their publications. I know, that might be too paranoid. Russia people, maybe you know what I mean. Poryshen?

there'sanappforthat, are you on the Fulbright ETA Germany 2013-2014 Facebook group yet?!

And I agree with whoever it was that suggested we make a general Fulbright 2013-2014 group! It would be great to stay in touch and compare notes, read each other's blogs, etc. :)

No, I'm not yet! I know, I need to!! I don't check the forum over the weekend, mostly because almost no one hear's anything then.

But I am about to do it right now :P

Yeah, it's pretty much safety issues: they think everyone's crazy because marihuana is legal :)

Also, it's the fact they know very little about Kingston or London, so they just think London's automatically better because it's in a "first world" country. 

ಠ_ಠ

Well, shoot, guess they don't want you going to Colorado, either? That's kinda funny.

I had at least 6 people ask me about Fulbright today! So, I got to tell the story 6 different times about how my life is in limbo. I did go ahead and agree to take an elected position in my county party today. I can't continue to put my life on hold while waiting. Lol!!

Maybe you should just put a sign around your neck that says "No, I haven't heard yet. Yes, I will let you know when I do."

I would get really tired of telling people, lol.

Actually, after spending the whole day following Syrian uprising-related media, I have to confess to a certain ambivalence about living for 10 months in a country which is an ally of such a regime. Of course I would absolutely still go, but it makes me wonder what kind of conversations I'll have with people, what I'll have to be careful about on the Internet, and, even more so, what my own biases and privileges are. When I lived in Syria I saw firsthand the depth of the control over public discourse, and it makes me seethe to think about those methods of policing. I'm even reluctant to write freely here because who knows? maybe monitoring sites like this is part of the bureaucratic process for foreign scholars. Many Sinologists have been blacklisted for their publications. I know, that might be too paranoid. Russia people, maybe you know what I mean. Poryshen?

That is definitely something to worry about. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, but I know I would feel worried. That's not to say I wouldn't go, though.  I remember when I went to Germany in 08, missiles were being moved to Poland (I THINK by Cuba?) and I was worried about that, as Germany borders Poland. Obviously not quite the threat you are worried about, but just trying to relate and say I can understand your concern.

Maybe you should just put a sign around your neck that says "No, I haven't heard yet. Yes, I will let you know when I do."

I would get really tired of telling people, lol.

No kidding!

And here is Monday, let the waiting begin! Lol!!

Russia applicant here. I think you will find, like in any country, that you will come across these four categories of people - dumb assholes, smart assholes, dumb saints, and smart saints. Either way, over 99% of them have no control over what the government/regime does or supports, so I would stray away from political discourse until you're sure about a person's category. That way, at least, you'll know what/whom you're dealing with.

As far as surveillance goes, I say watch what you say just like you would watch what you download. Be careful, but there is no reason to be paranoid. 

So this has nothing to do with Fulbright buuuut - I got the ok from my advisor to defend my dissertation prospectus!! Now all I need to do is pass and get funding to do my project!!

Great news! We like non-Fulbright related news also. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Sorry...just remembered that I think you said you're applying to Georgia.

Ha.  That is fine.  I may be applying to Georgia, but I feel that I can still say something about Russia.  Mainly, you just have to be mindful of what you research and say.  There is not reason to be paranoid.  When I went to Russia, I did not bring up Russian politics myself - although there were plenty of Russian students who would bring up the topic. They would also ask me about American politics, especially since at the time I was there it was during our Primaries. There is not the same level of paranoia that was present during the Stalinist era, that's for sure, or even what was present during the Soviet times in general.  I cannot speak for China as I don't quite know the situation, but the advice I have is just be mindful.  Someone else on here had a good point is that you should wait and see with whom you are dealing first before you engage in any political or other sensitive discussions.