Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Central America and the Caribbean will probably be waiting until mid-May (somebody got in contact with the director of the region, and that's what the director said). What country did you apply for? ETA or Full grant? I'm hoping for an ETA to Panama

You just broke my heart...

I just... can't wait anymore.  I'm really, really frustrated.  But thanks for the news :)

Central America and the Caribbean will probably be waiting until mid-May (somebody got in contact with the director of the region, and that's what the director said). What country did you apply for? ETA or Full grant? I'm hoping for an ETA to Panama

Who was the person that contacted the director? Can we confirm this is a real person? Do we have the full details of the exchange?

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster :)

Does anyone know when to expect responses from Russia (specifically for ETAs)? When I had my Skype interview, I was told to expect early April. Will the sequester have effected this at all? Does anyone have any updates to share?

Thanks!

Update for applicants to Spain:

IIE is hoping to hear from Spain this week. :)

Immediate notifications will be emailed once the names are released. 

Awesome to hear!!  Who did you talk to?  I was thinking about calling today but didn't get a chance.  :)  So close!

First time poster here, applying to China and playing the waiting game.

Any other China applicants on here, and any word on likely notifications?

I'm tempted to contact somebody to get at least some idea, but not sure if that's frowned upon...

Good to see this thread still going. There are a few China applicants here, I post occasionally when I'm unable to distract myself.;)
SMF, where are you looking to be affiliated?

I asked Jonathan Akeley about notification dates because an interviewer (non Fulbright related) was pressuring me for my availability, and I got the following information:

"We are hoping that the China notifications will go out by the end of April but given the uncertain budget environment this year it is very difficult to accurately predict specific dates."

Edited by lls11

"We are hoping that the China notifications will go out by the end of April but given the uncertain budget environment this year it is very difficult to accurately predict specific dates."

Hm. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear... but I guess it's better to have some idea... 

I'm hoping to be based at Xiamen, if all goes as planned. How about you?

First time poster here, applying to China and playing the waiting game.

Any other China applicants on here, and any word on likely notifications?

I'm tempted to contact somebody to get at least some idea, but not sure if that's frowned upon...

I am with you. Waiting. 等一下,等一下。。。

I asked this but didn't hear anything back: if you had to apply for a Chinese gov't scholarship, and I think most people had to, do you think the possibility exists of getting rejected from fulb but getting the govt deal? That would still mean a year in china. But I don't know if it's possible.

It's finally nice enough in Chicago to open up the windows! Beautiful!

Mid-April is the latest word, unless anyone has asked in the past 3 weeks. Could be this week, could be next. 

Jesus, I hope you're wrong! Wasn't it April 11 last year? This is getting ridiculous, considering that Russia reported its picks to the US side back on March 1. 

Oof, oy vey. I'd really like to know these things so I know what to fantasize about instead of writing a thesis. I hope to be in Nanjing.

Howdy to all the new folks! If you feel so inclined, add your name to the Google doc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

Also, if you look at the bottom you can tab over to the past notification dates.

Again, welcome to our merry group playing the waiting game! :)

So, I took the plunge and emailed Ashley Prather, the Caribbean and Central America coordinator, to see if she knew about a notification date for us. This was her response:

"Unfortunately, I do not. Last year these came in mid-May, with the budget situation this year it could be later. I am actively working to prevent that this year; however, typically this region is one of the last to announce the awards due to the regional funding structure. Don’t worry and keep waiting – no news is good news!"

Looks like plenty of waiting for us :( Stupid sequester!

CA/Caribbean people: this is what the person who contacted IIE got in response. Once again - many thanks for your bravery! I was way too chicken :-)

At this point I'm really just on this board to cheer other people on and celebrate their good news. It doesn't seem like our region will find out for a long time - might as well get comfy sitting tight!

CA/Caribbean people: this is what the person who contacted IIE got in response. Once again - many thanks for your bravery! I was way too chicken :-)

At this point I'm really just on this board to cheer other people on and celebrate their good news. It doesn't seem like our region will find out for a long time - might as well get comfy sitting tight!

Also not that brave! It is fun hearing the news when a country finally calls. We celebrate with those who make it and we commiserate we those who don't. 

Good news, we survived another day! Hope is still alive. :)

Who was the person that contacted the director? Can we confirm this is a real person? Do we have the full details of the exchange?

bvosler, on 03 Apr 2013 - 11:38, said:snapback.png

"So, I took the plunge and emailed Ashley Prather, the Caribbean and Central America coordinator, to see if she knew about a notification date for us. This was her response:

"Unfortunately, I do not. Last year these came in mid-May, with the budget situation this year it could be later. I am actively working to prevent that this year; however, typically this region is one of the last to announce the awards due to the regional funding structure. Don’t worry and keep waiting – no news is good news!"

Looks like plenty of waiting for us  :( Stupid sequester!"

It stinks that we won't hear for awhile, but it's nice to not be stressing every day about it. Definitely makes focusing in school easier for a bit! Though it does make it difficult to make life plans... to seek full-time employment or not seek full-time employment... THAT is the question (besides Fulbright of course!)

Jesus, I hope you're wrong! Wasn't it April 11 last year? This is getting ridiculous, considering that Russia reported its picks to the US side back on March 1. 
Yeah, I know, tell me about it. I was originally told they were hoping get the word out in mid-March but got a status update from IIE a few weeks ago.

Update for applicants to Spain:

IIE is hoping to hear from Spain this week. :)

Immediate notifications will be emailed once the names are released. 

Well that's good to hear. Hopefully those emails do come in this week - with good news!