Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I just downloaded the duolingo app, and it's actually pretty cool (especially considering it's free...); that said, I did the most advanced shortcut (to bypass all the lower levels), and it was still way too easy. I wish they had the same exercises but with much more advanced words and sentence constructions/verb conjugations...

Hi everyone, I've applied for a full research grant to Kenya in support of my PhD. I am hopeful for my chances but of course one never knows! For those of you who have also applied to SSA (sub-Saharan Africa), I wrote to Jermaine Jones and received the following response two days ago (Monday April 8):

"Hello ______,

I've heard that final selections for Sub-Saharan Africa may be ready by the middle of next week. I don't have any more specific information for you than this, but can say that I should be able to notify you and the other finalists within 24 hours of my receiving them.

(And fortunately, the situation in Kenya pre- and post-election has remained stable enough for the Fulbright program to continue running there uninterrupted.)

I hope this helps."

So if you are waiting for SSA, please don't start worrying/freaking out/checking inboxes until at least next Wednesday! Has anyone else here applied to Kenya?

Hi everyone, I've applied for a full research grant to Kenya in support of my PhD. I am hopeful for my chances but of course one never knows! For those of you who have also applied to SSA (sub-Saharan Africa), I wrote to Jermaine Jones and received the following response two days ago (Monday April 8):

"Hello ______,

I've heard that final selections for Sub-Saharan Africa may be ready by the middle of next week. I don't have any more specific information for you than this, but can say that I should be able to notify you and the other finalists within 24 hours of my receiving them.

(And fortunately, the situation in Kenya pre- and post-election has remained stable enough for the Fulbright program to continue running there uninterrupted.)

I hope this helps."

So if you are waiting for SSA, please don't start worrying/freaking out/checking inboxes until at least next Wednesday! Has anyone else here applied to Kenya?

Thanks! This doesn't bode well for my productivity next week, but it is nice to know that I can un-glue my eyes from my inbox for at least another week. 

I just found this really really interesting and thought y'all might enjoy it too

http://convergemagazine.com/travel-young-5278/http://convergemagazine.com/travel-young-5278/

I've been playing with the idea of still taking a year off and moving abroad even if I don't get a Fulbright, I have Croatian citizenship and a lot of Zumba connections (I teach Zumba on the side...) in Croatia so I can legally work and I'm confident I could find work pretty readily if I did just take the plunge, but I don't know if I can justify putting my PhD off another year to just go and teach Zumba for a year, I'd much rather be doing real work related to my field, but I do REALLY want to move abroad while I'm young...again...I already took a year between undergrad and master's and moved to Australia...and then reading this makes me think I should just do it, ah decisions decisions! 

Thanks! This doesn't bode well for my productivity next week, but it is nice to know that I can un-glue my eyes from my inbox for at least another week. 

Hahaha I know the feeling! Hang in there... What country did you apply to again?

Bahahahahahah. hilarious. Makes you sound so misogynistic. LMAO. Maybe it doesn't come across so strongly in China, but it probably does some.

Her face immediately contorted into a mixture of "do you know what you're saying?" And "you misogynistic jerkface..." Safe to say she wasn't impressed. Women do "hold up half the sky," after all.

Edited by secretlyismaili

I just found this really really interesting and thought y'all might enjoy it too

http://convergemagazine.com/travel-young-5278/http://convergemagazine.com/travel-young-5278/

I've been playing with the idea of still taking a year off and moving abroad even if I don't get a Fulbright, I have Croatian citizenship and a lot of Zumba connections (I teach Zumba on the side...) in Croatia so I can legally work and I'm confident I could find work pretty readily if I did just take the plunge, but I don't know if I can justify putting my PhD off another year to just go and teach Zumba for a year, I'd much rather be doing real work related to my field, but I do REALLY want to move abroad while I'm young...again...I already took a year between undergrad and master's and moved to Australia...and then reading this makes me think I should just do it, ah decisions decisions!

Once that wanderlust bites you it's hard to say no.

"Hello ______,

I hope this helps."

This was startling! reading every word was like a page turner. I have known since finding the aggregating Google Doc that decision would be made late April so just been muddling along sending congrats to those who started to hear in March...but this news....this news....lol my palms are sweating lmao! I'm excited, nervous  sick, and confident at the same damn time #2Chains voice lol. 

I guess I will stay tuned until next week.

Well, my big news of the day is I retained my Gold status at Starbucks. Lol!!!

HAHAHAHA this made me burst out laughing. Well done! I hope it's your birthday soon so you can revel in concocting the most expensive trenta drink possible to order on Starbucks.

"Hello ______,

I hope this helps."

Long time lurker...was kind of superstitious about posting...but I am also waiting for Sub-Saharan Africa. Full grant to Lesotho. Looks like the waiting may soon be over. :)  Thanks for the info GlamLeo!

Congrats to those who have received good news and my condolences to those who received bad news. Sending positive vibes to those of us still waiting!

HAHAHAHA this made me burst out laughing. Well done! I hope it's your birthday soon so you can revel in concocting the most expensive trenta drink possible to order on Starbucks.

My new thing is going in with a recipe from the secret menu in hand and getting them to make it. Some of them don't mind, others are sort of annoyed. But, hey, it's the little things.

I just downloaded the duolingo app, and it's actually pretty cool (especially considering it's free...); that said, I did the most advanced shortcut (to bypass all the lower levels), and it was still way too easy. I wish they had the same exercises but with much more advanced words and sentence constructions/verb conjugations...

I feel similarly, but hey, practice/drilling can't hurt. I would definitely appreciate more advanced content.

"Hello ______,

I've heard that final selections for Sub-Saharan Africa may be ready by the middle of next week. I don't have any more specific information for you than this, but can say that I should be able to notify you and the other finalists within 24 hours of my receiving them

(And fortunately, the situation in Kenya pre- and post-election has remained stable enough for the Fulbright program to continue running there uninterrupted

I hope this helps."

Good to know at least some of us could have news soon. It's been shaping up to be a long, dry week... Hope it's Fulbrights for all!!

I can't see the link, unfortunately.

That is a tough decision.. I don't know what I would do, I would definitely be tempted to just go and do it. I guess, if you think about, it what's a year? You are going to put your PhD off a year if you get a Fulbright, so what difference does it make WHY you are putting it off!! It always seems like the people I have known to get their Phd's get them later in life, so it sounds like you are already ahead of the game!!

If you go teach Zumba in Croatia (where?? If anywhere near Zagreb), I might just have to try and take a class with you if I get to visit my family! I have family near Mala Buna, are you familiar with that city? I still feel so incredibly lucky to have been able to meet them; the American side of the family lost touch with the Croatian side when my great grandparents died, but my dad found some cousins online, and I was able to go meet them while I was in Germany. It was like something out of a movie! Given what I have seen of the landscape and the country, I can't blame you for wanting to go back! I seriously considered applying for an ETA there instead of Germany, but I figured I would have a better shot with Germany. They offer more ETA spots and I speak the language (relatively..), so it seemed like an obvious choice for me! I wish your choice were more obvious for you, but lets just hope you get the Full Grant, and you don't have to make that decision anyway :)