Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

i'm still counting on the same general time frame as in the past- so, for armenia, pretty much now til the end of next week is my really hopeful time.

Yeah, I figured that might be the case for me, as well.  It is hard to find information on Georgian notifications to begin with to draw any sort of conclusion about when I might find out.  The earliest I saw someone hear for an ETA was on March 28th, but that was in 2010.  Full grants have been informed in later April.  That was all a couple of years ago so it is hard to say what will happen! 

But it is Georgia, I don't expect them to be fast and certainly not with the budget issues were facing in Washington.  

I just have to be patient and keep studying for school (which I should be doing right now instead of being on here), and applying for other jobs.  

I haven't heard back yet regarding my Fulbright, but it should be any day now. For those of you who were awarded Full Grants, did they tell you the stipend amount in the offer?

Thanks.

Another long time lurker, first time poster..

I too am waiting to hear back about my full grant!

Since I currently work for the government (but not the Dept of State) I have an inside look into "govt. procedures". Recently (yesterday), the Dept of State came out with their new Executive Budget Summary which can be found here: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/207305.pdf

On page 34, it outlines how much the Fulbright program spent in Federal Fiscal Year 2012 (FFY12, and for those who don't know the Federal Fiscal Year begins Oct 1st and Ends Sept 30 in any given year), it says how much is budgeted for FFY13 based on the annualized continuing resolution calculation for FY 2013 (P.L. 112-175), and it shows the FFY14 request. Believe it or not, the funding for the Fulbright program is actually going up! And, they are asking for an additional $2,070,000 for FFY14 (Yet, this includes not only us applying for the US Student Program, but also the Scholars programs and the Foreign Student/Scholar programs too).

Although I have no inside expertise into the workings of IIE, the Fulbright Program or the Dept. of State, I know (based on my work with federal grants and budgets) that once a budget is finalized it is often compiled with other budgets, and then again with even more budgets to eventually be approved and signed. However if something is wrong with one of those many budgets, they will ALL be put on hold (as we have seen with the Federal Budget in the news headlines) until the issue is resolved. 

What does this mean? Perhaps the Sequestration is holding up finalization of the Fulbright budget, or perhaps we are just waiting for other countries to finalize their budgets and decide, and we shouldn't freak out (yet). Either way, this lil' bit of research has helped me pass my morning without constantly refreshing my email!

Random observation: My university was concerned about the amount of time I spent in my country because they didn't want that to adversely affect my application. But, I keep reading that many of the applicants spent significant time in the country they applied for. So, was my adviser just nervous for no reason? I spent less than 6 weeks in country.

I faced the same issue in my application. I have spent 2 separate academic years living in Austria (in high school as a Rotary Youth Exchange Student, and with my University's study abroad program)...I tried not to emphasize it too much in my applications, but it certainly influenced my essays and overall application. I was selected for Germany, but only given Alternate status for Austria. So maybe there is something to it for someone like me, but I feel like less than 6 weeks isn't a big deal at all!

If you're like me, and practicing a new language like crazy, checkout this groupon for LiveMocha. http://www.groupon.com/deals/livemocha-42-providence'>http://www.groupon.com/deals/livemocha-42-providence   It is a great program! I've been using it for 2 days, and I love it!
That's incredible! How long do you think this deal will last? I don't want to buy it unless I get the grant...

I just thought I would repost the link since it is pretty far back now and everyone is getting notified!  Crossing my fingers for Spain tomorrow!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

Spain so soon :) should we receive notification this week?!

Edited by Books2readme

I just thought I would repost the link since it is pretty far back now and everyone is getting notified!  Crossing my fingers for Spain tomorrow!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

The reason I ask is because I keep getting mixed responses from IIE from the same person: "I would expect early next week or by the end of April: hopefully: " The IIE really has no idea. They only receive notification from the Dept. of State after the grantees have been selected. IIE (before the grantee) is the last to know. 

Edited by Books2readme

Another long time lurker, first time poster..

I too am waiting to hear back about my full grant!

Since I currently work for the government (but not the Dept of State) I have an inside look into "govt. procedures". Recently (yesterday), the Dept of State came out with their new Executive Budget Summary which can be found here: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/207305.pdf

On page 34, it outlines how much the Fulbright program spent in Federal Fiscal Year 2012 (FFY12, and for those who don't know the Federal Fiscal Year begins Oct 1st and Ends Sept 30 in any given year), it says how much is budgeted for FFY13 based on the annualized continuing resolution calculation for FY 2013 (P.L. 112-175), and it shows the FFY14 request. Believe it or not, the funding for the Fulbright program is actually going up! And, they are asking for an additional $2,070,000 for FFY14 (Yet, this includes not only us applying for the US Student Program, but also the Scholars programs and the Foreign Student/Scholar programs too).

Although I have no inside expertise into the workings of IIE, the Fulbright Program or the Dept. of State, I know (based on my work with federal grants and budgets) that once a budget is finalized it is often compiled with other budgets, and then again with even more budgets to eventually be approved and signed. However if something is wrong with one of those many budgets, they will ALL be put on hold (as we have seen with the Federal Budget in the news headlines) until the issue is resolved. 

What does this mean? Perhaps the Sequestration is holding up finalization of the Fulbright budget, or perhaps we are just waiting for other countries to finalize their budgets and decide, and we shouldn't freak out (yet). Either way, this lil' bit of research has helped me pass my morning without constantly refreshing my email!

Thank you so much for sharing this information! I have been under the impression that the sequester was forcing a reduction in the Fulbright programs.

Who says ya can't still? Just get contacts and meet up with some of the people on this board once you are there! :)

Ha. You're right actually. Even if I didn't get the Fulbright, still happy to have had a great support group here!