Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Didn't Poland  hear today too? Maybe it really is getting close, CrystalDee! Let's hope so!!!!

Don't worry, Estonia is a tiny country. I don't suspect many people know where it is. No worries. But, yes, it's getting closer. *biting nails*

I just got notified that I got a Fulbright to Belgium! my hands are shaking! I am doing happy dances around the room and smiling like a crazy person! what a relief!

WONDERFUL!! I might have to come over and see you and have some of that infamous Belgian chocolate!!! And stop by in Switzerland, too , of course!

Seriously though, So awesome! Congrats : :)

Don't worry, Estonia is a tiny country. I don't suspect many people know where it is. No worries. But, yes, it's getting closer. *biting nails*

Haha, for some reason I think I was thinking it was more like.. in between the Ukraine and Kazakstan, but that's just more Russia, isn't it?

I had a general idea, but my my spatial reasoning has been always been weak and I can never really mentually visualize maps very well .. so.. geography always takes a beating too.

Edit: Spatial. Spelling, also, is not my forte. :angry:

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Haha, for some reason I think I was thinking it was more like.. in between the Ukraine and Kazakstan, but that's just more Russia, isn't it?

I had a general idea, but my my spacial reasoning has been always been weak and I can never really mentually visualize maps very well .. so.. geography always takes a beating too.

I always tell people it is just south of Finland. A lady here (in OK) looked me square in the eyes and asked me if I could drive there. Then catching herself, she said, "I guess you can't." Lol!! My kids were with me and had to walk away to keep from laughing.

I always tell people it is just south of Finland. A lady here (in OK) looked me square in the eyes and asked me if I could drive there. Then catching herself, she said, "I guess you can't." Lol!! My kids were with me and had to walk away to keep from laughing.

Hahahahaha. At least she caught herself! I would probably say something stupid like that and never realize people were laughing at me :P

Three cheers for all the new fulbrighters!

The India people have probably moved on but I wanted to share this snippet of a quote from one-on-one Bengali class today: "so at that time the Baul movement started to get really strong..." And yeah Baul is pronounced in a most convenient way for this. Go ahead and try to keep a straight face when your teacher says that in all sincerity :-P

Okay, we looking at the past notification dates the countries that notified today were in the range of 10 days late; can we glean anything from that? Hmmm....

From what I have been able to gather so far (well, over the course of the last two months) is that all countries that have been notified had its own Fulbright commission.  The only country I have seen that does not have its own commission, if I remember correctly, is Laos that we have heard from.  I also just get the impression that all notifications are going to be late this year.  

Edited by Porshyen

Someone updated the past notifications form for Cyprus also. But there is no one on the other form for Cyprus.

Honestly, I am just glad some news is finally getting out. Days without hearing make me start irrationally thinking about silly things like did I get my transcripts in and what about the typo on my proposal (yes, I found a typo and was devastated!).

This was a few pages back, but  I wanted to add my own little story of cultural misunderstanding.  

While I was in Russia last year, I lived in a home stay.  My host mother told me that joining the choir would be good for language practice.  Well, the Russian word for choir is "хор" khor so it is kind of pronounced like "whore." I was processing the suggestion she made, but to her, it must have looked like I did not understand what she said, so she yelled "KHOR!!!" at me. XD

Honestly, I am just glad some news is finally getting out. Days without hearing make me start irrationally thinking about silly things like did I get my transcripts in and what about the typo on my proposal (yes, I found a typo and was devastated!).

Oh, goodness, I know! Usually after I submit an application, I refuse to look at it again for fear I might find a mistake...

This was a few pages back, but  I wanted to add my own little story of cultural misunderstanding.  

While I was in Russia last year, I lived in a home stay.  My host mother told me that joining the choir would be good for language practice.  Well, the Russian word for choir is "хор" khor so it is kind of pronounced like "whore." I was processing the suggestion she made, but to her, it must have looked like I did not understand what she said, so she yelled "KHOR!!!" at me. XD

HAHAHAHA!! That's funny!

This was a few pages back, but I wanted to add my own little story of cultural misunderstanding.

While I was in Russia last year, I lived in a home stay. My host mother told me that joining the choir would be good for language practice. Well, the Russian word for choir is "хор" khor so it is kind of pronounced like "whore." I was processing the suggestion she made, but to her, it must have looked like I did not understand what she said, so she yelled "KHOR!!!" at me. XD

Hilarious!!

HAHAHAHAHA. Hilarious.

Oh that just made me think of three other things..

At my birthday party, I offered one of the guys a drink called "Sekt", but apparently I was prounouncing it in such a way that it sounded like I was asking him if he wanted some sex....

At one point I explained to my host mom and 16-year-old host sister what the slang "blue balls" meant. I don't remember why I explained it, but it was hilarious.

Another time, my host mom took me to the palace of an old prince that lived in their town. As we were walking by this modern looking cafe near the palace, my host mom points out these weird looking modern chandeliers/light fixtures and said "Look! Those look like condoms!!"

Not really a misunderstanding, but hilarious nonetheless. I LOVED my host mom. I will have to try and visit her :)

This was startling! reading every word was like a page turner. I have known since finding the aggregating Google Doc that decision would be made late April so just been muddling along sending congrats to those who started to hear in March...but this news....this news....lol my palms are sweating lmao! I'm excited, nervous  sick, and confident at the same damn time #2Chains voice lol. 

I guess I will stay tuned until next week.

What country have you applied to? Is it also for graduate studies? And yes, it is a nail biting situation but I finally figured out how to post on here so those of us in SSA could relax... A LITTLE! LOL :)

Long time lurker...was kind of superstitious about posting...but I am also waiting for Sub-Saharan Africa. Full grant to Lesotho. Looks like the waiting may soon be over. :)  Thanks for the info GlamLeo!

Congrats to those who have received good news and my condolences to those who received bad news. Sending positive vibes to those of us still waiting!

I wasn't lurking but for the live of me could not figure out how to post here... When I logged in the thread would disappear. Weird! 

You are very welcome to the news, I was just glad I was finally able to get on and share it. Good luck with Lesotho. Have you been there yet? It is amazing!

I GOT IT!!!!!!!! Just got the email ~15 minutes ago. 

I'm still trembling. I can't believe it!!!!

To where? Congrats to you!

BTW, is anyone willing to share the text of the "You've got it" e-mails! Just to give me a taste of what I could be getting, LOL!