Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Ha. You're right actually. Even if I didn't get the Fulbright, still happy to have had a great support group here!

No doubt! I am sad I am not an ETA, so I could join the Facebook group. Lol!

I feel a ton better today. I just can't worry about if this will be "the day." Hopefully we will find out before May. I know I have good company in the same boat.

:D sweet!!!

I bought that Groupon.  :)  I am doing the online course the Estonian government is sponsoring, and so I thought I try out some of my new phrases on my friend today. Here we are on Skype and I am nervously pronouncing these words and he says "you learned these from a book, didn't you?" Yeah. "We don't actually say those things." *sigh* LOL!

Hi, I applied to Spain for a research grant and got recommended but am waiting on the final decision, so does it seem like it will be this month at least?

I bought that Groupon.  :)  I am doing the online course the Estonian government is sponsoring, and so I thought I try out some of my new phrases on my friend today. Here we are on Skype and I am nervously pronouncing these words and he says "you learned these from a book, didn't you?" Yeah. "We don't actually say those things." *sigh* LOL!

That's awesome  :) I'm buying it too :)

Hi, I applied to Spain for a research grant and got recommended but am waiting on the final decision, so does it seem like it will be this month at least?

Cool! I applied to Spain for a full grant as well. We should know this month... even if Spain is a little late this month, we should still find out in April. Last year, notifications were sent on April 15th.

Where is Spain did you apply to conduct your research? I found a great research group in Barcelona. 

I just used it too!! :D WHat is your username, we can be language buddies!

I changed it to match my gradcafe username, so it's Lunita.

I look forward to seeing you on there!

That's awesome  :) I'm buying it too :)

Awesome! I look forward to seeing all of you on there! Try to find me, my username is Lunita.

Spoke with Jonathan Akeley today. He said that the sequester will more so effect countries where there is no Fulbright committee/foreign funding. He gave the example of South Korea, which have a Fulbright committee and whose government puts a lot of funding into the program. They are less likely to be effected because the USA does not fund the whole program.

Found that interesting, if anyone else wanted to know.

Spoke with Jonathan Akeley today. He said that the sequester will more so effect countries where there is no Fulbright committee/foreign funding. He gave the example of South Korea, which have a Fulbright committee and whose government puts a lot of funding into the program. They are less likely to be effected because the USA does not fund the whole program.

@vPersie Do you know how to find out which countries have Fulbright committees and which don't?

It's interesting. I love how they kind of denied it for a long time. Thanks for contacting him and sharing the info! :)

All I can do is cross my fingers at this point.

Still waiting to hear from Denmark, however, in the meantime, I've been listening to a lot of Xander, Nik og Jay, Alphabeat, Medina, and even some old school Anne Linnet and TV-2.

Oh, Denmark, why do you keep me hanging on? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpFaeHSqA8s

Good or bad, I'm glad to have gone through this process; I feel like it's been a tremendous learning experience

If you're like me, and practicing a new language like crazy, checkout this groupon for LiveMocha. http://www.groupon.com/deals/livemocha-42-providence

It is a great program! I've been using it for 2 days, and I love it!

Hey! Just bought it and I am figuring out all the ways it works. What do you mainly use it for? Seems good for practice, but has the chat/friending aspect worked out well for you? 

The reason I ask is because I keep getting mixed responses from IIE from the same person: "I would expect early next week or by the end of April: hopefully: " The IIE really has no idea. They only receive notification from the Dept. of State after the grantees have been selected. IIE (before the grantee) is the last to know. 

You talked to them earlier on in the week right?  I was just basing my hopes on the fact that they told you they expected results by this week.  Have you talked to them since then?

Still waiting to hear from Denmark, however, in the meantime, I've been listening to a lot of Xander, Nik og Jay, Alphabeat, Medina, and even some old school Anne Linnet and TV-2.

Oh, Denmark, why do you keep me hanging on?

Good or bad, I'm glad to have gone through this process; I feel like it's been a tremendous learning experience

Haha it really does sound like speaking Norwegian/Swedish with your mouth full of peanut butter :). (Edit: kind of a reference to a common Scandinavian joke language-lesson.jpg.pagespeed.ce.Y8zwTpt

How I'll feel if I get the grant:

Edited by nainalerom

@vPersie Do you know how to find out which countries have Fulbright committees and which don't?

I'm not sure because I haven't looked much at any competitions outside of mine. I just know that mine does not have a Fulbright committee, and is more likely to be effected...which is really too bad.

If you're not sure I'd review the Fulbright webpages associated with your program in hopes for some information. Otherwise you could call or email someone at IIE who might know. Which country are you? I think the majority of programs do have Fulbright committees, especially if they have a lot of grants available for US citizens or send many of their students to the US.

I managed to find some recent ETA blogs and spent the past hour reading them...amazing! Hope to be blessed to experience what they did :)

Edited by zhaskin

You can try looking at the country descriptions on the Fulbright website.  At the bottom, it should have a link that would indicate whether or not that country has its own commission.  

Can't wait to speak at an info session about Fulbright tomorrow, still not knowing my status... woo! Will be able to tell all the prospective applicants my tale of woe and misery. 

Awww...I thought recanting my story to people at church was tough. Telling would-be applicants that they get to wait and wait and wait...well, I don't envy you. I will say, I learned so much through the process.

Hey! Just bought it and I am figuring out all the ways it works. What do you mainly use it for? Seems good for practice, but has the chat/friending aspect worked out well for you? 

I use it to get feedback on my pronunciation and writing. I follow the courses too, they've been great. I also bought a few lessons with a tutor through the site. I've had a few chats.