Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I am! Great to hear from someone! I just posted this above but I got into touch with someone who got a grant to this competition back in 2011, he said that he heard that he was an alternate on April 19th and then that he got the grant on June 2nd.

I am hoping to hear this week, but trying to stay cautiously optimistic. There is a chance that the sequester will effect us and/or delay when we hear.

If you don't mind me asking, what/where is your project?

sweet! i wasn't optimistic there would be anybody on here, i think there are less then 10 of us as finalists.

i know what you mean about sequestration, i have a bad feeling we are going to be disproportionately effected.

my proposal is for kiribati. it is a photo project looking at the history of the islands through land use. what about you?

Congratulations to all those who just found out! For the Spanish applicants, is anyone going to Granada? I studied there in 2006 :-). 

Edited by lunita

sweet! i wasn't optimistic there would be anybody on here, i think there are less then 10 of us as finalists.

i know what you mean about sequestration, i have a bad feeling we are going to be disproportionately effected.

my proposal is for kiribati. it is a photo project looking at the history of the islands through land use. what about you?

I know, it's out of our hands though so I'm trying to not think about the sequester. Sucks.

Your project sounds awesome. I've read some books about Kiribati and would love to check it out sometime. My project is isolating potential anticancer drug candidates from marine organisms in Fiji. Good luck to you! I hope we both get it.

I know, it's out of our hands though so I'm trying to not think about the sequester. Sucks.

Your project sounds awesome. I've read some books about Kiribati and would love to check it out sometime. My project is isolating potential anticancer drug candidates from marine organisms in Fiji. Good luck to you! I hope we both get it.

good luck to you too, that sounds like a winner.

Congrats to the SSA and Spain applicants who found out today!! And condolences to those who didn't get the news they wanted...

On another note: Could this be a sign that selections for those of us who also applied to regions with more tenuous funding situations are soon to follow? **fingers crossed** Also, I'm interested to see if the number of SSA full awards changed from last year to this one... Perhaps that could provide some insight as to how the sequester is actually playing out...

For those who got accepted for full grants do you know when we have to depart? I know August, but when....

It depends on the country. If I were to get my research grant, I can leave anytime from August '13 all the way until March '14.

For those who got accepted for full grants do you know when we have to depart? I know August, but when....

It varies by country. Some countries only have two mandatory in-country programs, meaning you must arrive during one of those times. Others just have a six month block of time.

Find your region and the country here, then select either ETA or Full Grant:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedregion/20

Fellow Russia applicant here. I legit feel like I'm on crazy pills.

I have no idea what's going on; diplomatic relations between Russian & the U.S. haven't been awesome recently and Russia's response to the Magnitsky list over the weekend sure didn't help. I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

well,  I read somewhere earlier on this forum that Russia sent their picks to the US Fulbright board on March 1. The problem here is not Russian bureaucracy (although it usually makes sense to blame that) but probably some republicans in congress... But you're right, the stuff that happened lately doesn't help at all!! Things were better when John Beyrle was the ambassador, I don't think McFaul is doing a good job at all , he seems to be an ineffective diplomat to me. And from what I see and read from the Russian newsmedia he is not well liked by the Russian contingent.