Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hello, everyone!

I have not seen any posts about Central Asia. Has anybody applied to conduct research or teach English there? I was recommended for a Fulbright Research Grant to Tajikistan and am waiting to hear a final decision.

Welcome to the board! You are the first from that area that I know of.

Hello, everyone!

I have not seen any posts about Central Asia. Has anybody applied to conduct research or teach English there? I was recommended for a Fulbright Research Grant to Tajikistan and am waiting to hear a final decision.

poryshen and I did exchange a couple things about central Asia a furr piece back, but no I haven't seen anyone else who's applying to the Stans. I was thinking of applying to Uzbekistan, since that language/history (mostly pre-Sov, though) is one of my focuses, but didn't end up going for it. I know a guy who did an ETA in Qyrghyzystan last year who had a hella good time. Welcome! I hope you get into Tajikistan - Inner Asia would be an extremely interesting place to be these days. Can I ask what your project there is about?

Yeah for real, although I'm willing to give this forum the benefit of the doubt and blame it on touchscreen phone mishaps. What kind of maniac would dislike Zumba enthusiasm?

Oh man, I didn't even think about that. That is totally plausible! I have little hands and even I feel like a giant trying to tap out words on my IPhone!! I will give them the benefit of the doubt, too!

I think the idea of teaching Zumba abroad is so cool - I didn't even realize Zumba was available outside of the Americas. I looked up some studios in Germany, though, so maybe I can keep on Zumba-ing while abroad,too! Considering how much gelato and beer I plan on consuming, it would be a good idea :D

I love the idea of incorporating American roots music like Zydeco, Cajun and maybe even some Blues and Rock. And swing!! That would be awesome!

My current Zumba instructor only uses Latin music like JLO, Shakira, and Pittbull. I miss my old instructor who used Swing and Bollywood every now and then. Incorporating even more ethnic music is such a cool idea - I would absolutely LOVE to do Zumba to like, some Eastern European Gypsy music! Eastern European music in general, but I'm not really familiar with the names of the types of music I have heard. It's such a good way to get involved with the community and meet new people! And helping people stay healthy?? Even better!!

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Woah, I can't believe how many people received news yesterday. In an effort to NOT spam the board, I will try and get you all in one post!!

Congrats to the recipients!!!

Avos32

ICE_88

ArkansasJabali

Naomarie4

gotoghana

MRB15

GlamLeo

Frenchvanilla935

Books2Readme

PHDH20

Guiri4life

SocpsychPHD

So sorry for those who didn't receive it this year.. Apply again next year!!! And hang in there to the alts, you  never know!! But seriously, apply again, I this was my second attempt, so sometimes it just takes a little extra work! But it's worth it in the end!!  I'm not gonna list you guys off because I feel like that would maybe just be putting salt to your wounds? But my heart goes out to every one of you, but gosh darn it, try again!!! BIG BIG Hugs to you guys!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Question for those who have heard: In the subject line of your emails, did it tell you your status? For example, last year in the subject line they put something like, "Status of your fulbright application" and then after in parentheses had one of the three following letters: P (Principle), A (Alternate), and NS (Not Selected).  So... you know where you stood before even opening the email (which is both good and bad). Just wondering how it works this year...

mine did...just like that with the P, I kinda appreciated it because my stomach dropped with just one glance...it took me about 20 minutes to compose myself enough to actually read the whole email :)

Question for those who have heard: In the subject line of your emails, did it tell you your status? For example, last year in the subject line they put something like, "Status of your fulbright application" and then after in parentheses had one of the three following letters: P (Principle), A (Alternate), and NS (Not Selected).  So... you know where you stood before even opening the email (which is both good and bad). Just wondering how it works this year...

Yep. It will have the letters in the title

Um. Whomever is downvoting her, stop being a jerk. There's no reason to downvote that. <_<

Yeah for real, although I'm willing to give this forum the benefit of the doubt and blame it on touchscreen phone mishaps. What kind of maniac would dislike Zumba enthusiasm?

You guys make me smile!

mine did...just like that with the P, I kinda appreciated it because my stomach dropped with just one glance...it took me about 20 minutes to compose myself enough to actually read the whole email :)

Thanks! And congrats!

This may be the wrong place - but does anyone know much about the Fulbright US Student award/grant to the University of Glasgow?

Edited by vitaleguy

poryshen and I did exchange a couple things about central Asia a furr piece back, but no I haven't seen anyone else who's applying to the Stans. I was thinking of applying to Uzbekistan, since that language/history (mostly pre-Sov, though) is one of my focuses, but didn't end up going for it. I know a guy who did an ETA in Qyrghyzystan last year who had a hella good time. Welcome! I hope you get into Tajikistan - Inner Asia would be an extremely interesting place to be these days. Can I ask what your project there is about?

Hello!

I applied to study the evolution of Tajik foreign policy since the fall of the Soviet Union, focusing on Tajik-Russian and Tajik-Iranian relations. However, I may add a focus on Afghanistan, especially considering the upcoming U.S. withdrawal. Moreover, I conducted social psychological research in Moscow on Russian-Muslim relations and would like to pull off a similar project in Tajikistan. This study, though, would incorporate more reliable measures and focus more on political intolerance, rather than social intolerance. What would you be interested in researching?

I just checked back on this, and there wasn't any letter like that in my subject line.  I don't know if it varies due to which staff member is sending out the e-mail, or if they just don't do that for countries with as many grants/applicants as Germany, but just so you know.

Does anyone have any knowledge/theories about why Norway is taking so long? Scandinavian countries always seem to have their stuff together but this year Sub-Saharan Africa (including Rwanda and the Congo) let their applicants know before Norway. What the heck?

Does anyone have any knowledge/theories about why Norway is taking so long? Scandinavian countries always seem to have their stuff together but this year Sub-Saharan Africa (including Rwanda and the Congo) let their applicants know before Norway. What the heck?
it's not norway. It's the FSB. They had their stuff in at the end of January.

No idea, unfortunately, but that is crazy..

I am feeling the same way about Switzerland!

I am feeling the same way about Switzerland!
Maybe the most organized countries that turned in their candidates early ended up at the bottom of the stack and now they're just reviewing them as they come in :/. That's my best guess.

Alright guys, if EVERYONE on this forum hasn't found out by the end of this month, I motion we STORM the FULBRIGHT BOARD OFFICE AND DEMAND ANSWERS!!!!!

imagesca5zarau.jpg

Grab your torches and pitchforks!!! Take whatever booty you can find!! But remember, the beast is MINE!!!!!!!!

tumblr_lrxpqv3p311qgptsro1_500.png

....wait..what? What were we talking about again?? :blink:

Edited by there'sanappforthat

My Germany full grant had a (P) in the subject line.

I just checked back on this, and there wasn't any letter like that in my subject line.  I don't know if it varies due to which staff member is sending out the e-mail, or if they just don't do that for countries with as many grants/applicants as Germany, but just so you know.

I bet it's because we are ETAs.

Alright guys, if EVERYONE on this forum hasn't found out by the end of this month, I motion we STORM the FULBRIGHT BOARD OFFICE AND DEMAND ANSWERS!!!!!

imagesca5zarau.jpg

Grab your torches and pitchforks!!! Take whatever booty you can find!! But remember, the beast is MINE!!!!!!!!

tumblr_lrxpqv3p311qgptsro1_500.png

....wait..what? What were we talking about again?? :blink:

You pretty much just made my day... lolol

So, the countries that don't have actual committees the applications are processed by the public relations person at the embassy. I was doing a little investigating today. I figured out who this woman is that still has my application sitting on her desk. Lol!!