Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Actually the only book on the subject of Russia in inner Asia that I am reading is called China Marches West, but it has a lot of stuff about Russia since it's about both empires' expansion towards each other (centered mostly around 16th-18th centuris), the fixing of the borders, and the genocide of the Zunghar Mongol Khanate that they both succeeded in committing throughout the process. That book is by Peter Perdue. Unfortunately I've never really been too interested in Russia (and I know no Russian at all) except for what I have learned through exposure to Uzbek lit, but it would still be good to have a sense of how the social environments of Islam in post-Sovietia and China compare. You are right, Uzbek and Uyghur are close enough together in written form to really be mutually intelligible, though Uyghur has many Chinese words and Uzbek many more Persian and Russian words. In spoken form they are very different though - namely, Uyghurs seem to talk about twice as fast as Uzbeks. And then there's the vowel harmony...that's one Turkic trapping that Uzbek jettisoned during their Persification (to the learner's benefit). Adeeb Khalid I am familiar with, he spoke here last year, and thanks so much for the Prophet and Tsar recommendation. I have seen it on bookstore shelves but never invested. How about those Peter Hopkirk books, like Setting the East Ablaze? I thought it was good and entertaining. A rare combo. Ah, tales of high adventure on the steppe. Well, high adventure, yes, but also insane brutal war (is there any other kind?)

I think it's sad that Uzbek lost vowel harmony, cause it's pretty cool :). And that's interesting about the spoken versus written mutual intelligibility of Uzbek and Uyghur... It certainly makes sense that Uyghur would have more Chinese vocabulary!

I would like to know more about Chinese history and politics. Did you like the Purdue book or do you have other reading recommendations? A few more items that I suggest are Svat Soucek's "History of Inner Asia" and, for a contemporary analysis, Alexander Cooley's "Great Game, Local Rules." I haven't read any of Hopkirk's books, but I will look for one if you think it's worth it.

No im not nervous at all. I worked there for USAID last year and had an amazing time. Byfar one of the "fun-est" African countries I've been to. DRC is the 2nd largest African country and the fighting that is happening is on the Rwandan border, which is very far from Kinshasa and from where I will be conducting my research. 

So yeah, I'm looking at how deforestation and degradation is affecting regional water cycling, ecosystem services for livelihoods and also meso-scale and global climate change. 

Fascinating!  That sounds awesome.  You'll have to start a blog about your experiences.

Thanks so much to all those who congratulated me. Definitely worth the excruciating wait. To those not selected or alternates, things happen for a reason, keep shooting for the stars. I've been rejected from so many things that it's not even funny - it has really help me focus on what I want and how to realistically get there. Good luck to the rest!

I think it's sad that Uzbek lost vowel harmony, cause it's pretty cool :). And that's interesting about the spoken versus written mutual intelligibility of Uzbek and Uyghur... It certainly makes sense that Uyghur would have more Chinese vocabulary!

I would like to know more about Chinese history and politics. Did you like the Purdue book or do you have other reading recommendations? A few more items that I suggest are Svat Soucek's "History of Inner Asia" and, for a contemporary analysis, Alexander Cooley's "Great Game, Local Rules." I haven't read any of Hopkirk's books, but I will look for one if you think it's worth it.

Yep the loss of vowel harmony certainly means the loss of one of the most remarkable features of Turkic...I mean the whole language family was practically built around it! I also think vowel harmony is cool. I guess it's only to the learner's benefit in terms of ease. Uyghur has all sorts of tricky orthographic peculiarities because of vowel and consonant harmony, which Uzbek abandoned in the course of acculturation to Persianate (originally Soghdian...) urban settled life. Uyghurs say of their language that that its "polu" (plov, main dish) is Turkic and it is spiced with Persian, but of Uzbek that its plov is Persian and its spice is Turkic. 

I absolutely do recommend Perdue's book, it's just really long and packed with a crazy amount of info re: Mongols and Tibetans, which is cool, but keeping the names straight has been an uphill battle. Not knowing a lot about Russian history I guess my judgment is limited on the Russia side, but he seems to have a pretty thorough lit review and it all sounds legit, plus he seems to be bringing a lot of Mongol knowledge into the picture that was missing from Russian historiography. And there's a lot about Russian perceptions of their own role, religiously, read against Mongol/Turkic/other inner Asian attitudes to Russian expansion. I'll check out the books you mentioned, for sure. Chinese history...I really like Familiar Strangers (Lipman) and Eurasian Crossroads (Millward), I mean they're both about the Northwest, which hasn't always been China, but in many ways China has been defined by its frontiers so I think they give an important part of the picture. 

Speaking of China, come ON, China!! Jeez Chrimbus. 哎呀! 什么回事啊?

Coooommmmeeeee ooooooono ESTONIA!!!

No kidding! So close...yet so far.

I know! Georgia is next to Russia...it means the decision will have to come soon. Right? Right? 

I came here, saw that Russia notified, and my heart skipped a beat.  Maybe Georgia notified, too! Nope.  Just Fastweb asking me if I am tired of people asking me what my post-graduation plans are.  

Soon.

Congratulations, by the way, to all those Russian applicants who received good news.  I am sorry to those who did not, keep your chin up, keep applying.   :)

Edited by Porshyen

Not selected for a full grant to Russia. Congratulations to all headed that way.

I was rejected when I first applied in '08 (didn't even get an interview).  With a lot more relevant experience and an entirely new application, I was selected, so you should definitely apply again! 

I can haz September, nao?

Don't be impatient now, just relish the wait :). I have read that some researchers have shown that for a lot of things like vacations, the anticipation brings more happiness than the vacation itself. Even though this technically isn't vacation ;)

Edit: oh god that second sentence was nearly unreadable. I need to learn how to English.

Edit2: source http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/how-vacations-affect-your-happiness/ I am fascinated by this kind of stuff.

Edited by nainalerom

Don't be impatient now, just relish the wait :). I have read that some researchers have shown that for a lot of things like vacations, the anticipation brings more happiness than the vacation itself. Even though this technically isn't vacation ;)

Edit: oh god that second sentence was nearly unreadable. I need to learn how to English.

haha, I know. I wouldn't even be remotely ready, anyway. I've got work to do ;) I hope the research is right!!

Not yet! Some of us are still waiting. ;) I can't hold out until September. Lol!!

Arrgh! I know! This is madness!

Edit2: source http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/how-vacations-affect-your-happiness/ I am fascinated by this kind of stuff.

I actually was freaked out a little thinking we might actually find out today. It was the "Am I really ready for this?"

I actually was freaked out a little thinking we might actually find out today. It was the "Am I really ready for this?"

I know, right? 

I want to find out so badly, but part of me is not ready to hear...or maybe not quite prepared? I also don't know what to think of finding out the status in the subject line.  Part of me likes it, part of me wants time to prepare before I open that email.  

I know, right?    I want to find out so badly, but part of me is not ready to hear...or maybe not quite prepared? I also don't know what to think of finding out the status in the subject line.  Part of me likes it, part of me wants time to prepare before I open that email.  
Maybe they're just waiting till they think we're ready :)

I know, right? 

I want to find out so badly, but part of me is not ready to hear...or maybe not quite prepared? I also don't know what to think of finding out the status in the subject line.  Part of me likes it, part of me wants time to prepare before I open that email.  

I am right there with you! I can't seem to mentally prepare. Geez! This just doesn't seem to be getting easier. Lol!!

What's with the Western Hemisphere notification drought?

I e-mailed my Fulbright adviser today. Wondering if Fulbright has told them something that they haven't told us...

I know, right? 

So so true... I've managed to enforce a "you only get to check your school email once a day" policy with myself. So, I'm just going to try to settle myself internally to be ok with the results no matter what before even opening my inbox... Unfortunately I made the poor decision to put all of my dissertation eggs in this basket donuts not so easy *stomach turns*