Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Welcome to the forum! Could you elaborate a little bit about what they said in the email?

That was it. I asked if they had an idea if the notification would be narrowed from March-May.  They said they had no updates on notifications because they are working on the budget. The sequestor is causing the delay in figuring out Budgets. 

Maybe end of April.  start of May.

Doesn't keep me from haunting my email. 

Am in a teaching/research exchange application.

Wow, that's really awesome. I can imagine, though, patience coming in handy when trying to work through institutions like that! :-)   My Uyghur teacher, who lived in Uzbekistan and studied in Moscow as well, told me that there was a lot of at least anti-Turkic sentiment that she encountered there. I guess I don't really know the distribution of non-Turkic Muslims in Russia...? I'm reading now about Russian eastward expansion into Siberia and the borders of a westward-expanding China, and there's a lot of religious nationalism in the Russian conquest narratives. Now I am curious to know more about Russia's post-Soviet religious world and how it is being reclaimed after decades of official atheism. So jelly you lived in Uzbekistan and of the prospect of going to Tajikistan....oof best of luck to you. Do people in Tajikistan, as in Uzbekistan, usually speak Russian as well as Tajik / Qyrghyz / Uzbek? Do you know Tajik?

If you're interested in Russia's non-Turkic Muslim populations, look at the North Caucasus. It's a very interesting case study. Also, keep in mind that all Central Asians and Caucasians, not just the Turkic populations, experience discrimination. This leads me to believe that the sentiment is less "anti-Turkic" and more anti-Central Asian or anti-Caucasian, perhaps even anti-Islamic (although, for example, the Tatars' relationship with Russia makes me question this conclusion).

I'm curious about the books/ articles you're reading. Would you mind naming a few? If you're interested in historical religious trends in Russia and Central Asia, I recommend Robert Crews' book "For Prophet and Tsar" and any of Adeeb Khalid's books. They are not perfect, but useful. Alexei Malashenko's writings touch upon more contemporary religious issues in both regions. If you read Russian, the Carnegie Moscow Center released a book series entitled "Religion in Eurasia" - it's pretty good.

The language scene in Tajikistan is changing. More people speak Tajik, fewer people speak Russian. Sugh, where Khujand is located, retains more Turkic influence, and many people speak Uzbek. In fact, there is a significant Uzbek population in Tajikistan - hence American Councils' arrangement to send Uzbek language learners to Dushanbe (or Bishkek). I speak Russian and Persian, but if I will be in Tajikistan next year, I plan to study Uzbek.

Hello!

Could you, perhaps, elaborate on what you mean by "analysis methods?" Are you asking about statistical analysis or data collection? I have experience with both and might be able to offer you some ideas.

Hey! I'm assuming your username means you are a Furman student/alum? I used to live quite close to Furman! I heard it was a very good school :)

Hey! I'm assuming your username means you are a Furman student/alum? I used to live quite close to Furman! I heard it was a very good school :)

Hey! No, actually, it's my name. Perhaps I should have applied as a legacy... :) But I'm finishing up at The College of New Jersey, a long ways away from SC.

Dang!! How did you figure that out?! That is truly impressive!

Working in politics gives you skills. Lol!! Nah, it was easy, all the main folks are listed on the embassy website. Not that this info does me any good at all.

I got it!!!! Full grant to Russia. 

It just showed up in my inbox HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???

Full grant to Russia, too!!!! Oh my god!!! Eni, I got it!!!

'grats, avocado and funk!

Woo-hoo! Russia before Norway? That's crazy! So happy for you!

I know what you mean, Crystal. Scandinavia must be in bad shape if Spain and Russia are announcing before Norway!

If you're interested in Russia's non-Turkic Muslim populations, look at the North Caucasus. It's a very interesting case study. Also, keep in mind that all Central Asians and Caucasians, not just the Turkic populations, experience discrimination. This leads me to believe that the sentiment is less "anti-Turkic" and more anti-Central Asian or anti-Caucasian, perhaps even anti-Islamic (although, for example, the Tatars' relationship with Russia makes me question this conclusion).

I'm curious about the books/ articles you're reading. Would you mind naming a few? If you're interested in historical religious trends in Russia and Central Asia, I recommend Robert Crews' book "For Prophet and Tsar" and any of Adeeb Khalid's books. They are not perfect, but useful. Alexei Malashenko's writings touch upon more contemporary religious issues in both regions. If you read Russian, the Carnegie Moscow Center released a book series entitled "Religion in Eurasia" - it's pretty good.

Actually the only book on the subject of Russia in inner Asia that I am reading is called China Marches West, but it has a lot of stuff about Russia since it's about both empires' expansion towards each other (centered mostly around 16th-18th centuris), the fixing of the borders, and the genocide of the Zunghar Mongol Khanate that they both succeeded in committing throughout the process. That book is by Peter Perdue. Unfortunately I've never really been too interested in Russia (and I know no Russian at all) except for what I have learned through exposure to Uzbek lit, but it would still be good to have a sense of how the social environments of Islam in post-Sovietia and China compare. You are right, Uzbek and Uyghur are close enough together in written form to really be mutually intelligible, though Uyghur has many Chinese words and Uzbek many more Persian and Russian words. In spoken form they are very different though - namely, Uyghurs seem to talk about twice as fast as Uzbeks. And then there's the vowel harmony...that's one Turkic trapping that Uzbek jettisoned during their Persification (to the learner's benefit). Adeeb Khalid I am familiar with, he spoke here last year, and thanks so much for the Prophet and Tsar recommendation. I have seen it on bookstore shelves but never invested. How about those Peter Hopkirk books, like Setting the East Ablaze? I thought it was good and entertaining. A rare combo. Ah, tales of high adventure on the steppe. Well, high adventure, yes, but also insane brutal war (is there any other kind?)