Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Anyone used Duolingo much? I am not impressed...

I think it's better if you're just starting to learn a language. Less so for brushing up.

Just a note: for those of us that are beginners, the livemocha.com courses are FREE no matter what! The groupon deal was just for the advanced courses. Anyway I thought I'd just mention that.

Fascinating!  That sounds awesome.  You'll have to start a blog about your experiences.

Haha...I've never really got into blogging. Its so hard for me to stay on task. But hey I might try it if it doesnt distract me from writing my dissertation.

Morrocco ETA finalist here...has anyone inquired about notifications for Morocco? They came in on April 19 and April 25 in the past couple of years, so there's time, but with each day I get more and more anxious to know. Hate the wait.

Hey sarah888, I'm thrilled to hear from another Morocco applicant!  Back in March, the head of MACECE told me it would be the last week of April.  I'm hoping that's next week... 

O troll-bashing Thor, who on this day we honor in name, bless us by granting an announcement of decisions to Norway. Amen.

Hahaha have you seen troll hunter? It is a fine piece of Norwegian cinema, and available on Netflix I might add. Happy torsdag! Edited by nainalerom

I feel like I've felt all the feelings that there are to feel. I hate to say it, but I think I'm numb to Fulbright feelings now. Anyone else feeling like that? It's like my feelings have been toyed with by them for so long that I'm just tired of caring so much.

Hahaha have you seen troll hunter? It is a fine piece of Norwegian cinema, and available on Netflix I might add. Happy torsdag!

I have seen Troll Hunter! I love that film. I usually describe it as "Norwegian Blair Witch Project, except they find a troll." Have you watched the German film Iron Sky? It's also on Netflix. Nazis on the moon. Hilarious.

I have seen Troll Hunter! I love that film. I usually describe it as "Norwegian Blair Witch Project, except they find a troll." Have you watched the German film Iron Sky? It's also on Netflix. Nazis on the moon. Hilarious.

O, I thought it was a good idea when I imagined that they hunted internet trolls.

I applied to Sweden for the Research Program (film).

I was recommended, but haven't received any news about the final decision yet.

Looking back on these forums, it looks like Finland is the only Scandinavian country to announce their decisions.

Does anyone have any guesses as to the reason behind the lateness from Sweden, Norway, and Denmark?

Could there possibly be a restructuring of funding that is adding time to the process?

When is the latest I can expect an answer for this program?

Thanks for any thoughts!

L

So, Turkey folks.....news? bets? hunches? feelings? thoughts? ideas? something? anything? 

I was a finalist last year and we found out on May 15. Got disappointing news, but by that point I was just so sick of waiting that it was a relief to hear any news. We'll probably "hit bottom" in a couple weeks and then the truth will set us free

I applied to Sweden for the Research Program (film).

I was recommended, but haven't received any news about the final decision yet.

Looking back on these forums, it looks like Finland is the only Scandinavian country to announce their decisions.

Does anyone have any guesses as to the reason behind the lateness from Sweden, Norway, and Denmark?

Could there possibly be a restructuring of funding that is adding time to the process?

When is the latest I can expect an answer for this program?

Thanks for any thoughts!

L

I don't really have an answer...just want to commiserate! I applied to Denmark. Another Denmark applicant on this forum said that she wrote to someone at IIE, and the response was something like, "We don't have a definite timeline, but we have reason to hope you will hear by the end of April, if not much sooner." No concrete reasons for the delay were offered. But even so, knowing that there's reason to hope that we'll hear by the end of the month is somewhat helpful, I think!

A few days ago my wife and I took bets on when we'd hear the verdict...optimist that I am, I put my bet on yesterday (which came and went without any word, of course), and she went for April 29. But rooting for an earlier or later date kind of helps---having something other than a bare "I want to find out right now!" on our minds takes some of the pressure off.

Like many others, this waiting around has me feeling a bit scattered...I've been working on fragments of two different chapters of my dissertation for the past few weeks, doing some painting and electrical work around the house, and so forth; but I never quite feel focused on any of these projects. Oh well... 

Like many others, this waiting around has me feeling a bit scattered...I've been working on fragments of two different chapters of my dissertation for the past few weeks, doing some painting and electrical work around the house, and so forth; but I never quite feel focused on any of these projects. Oh well... 

I completely agree that it's been very hard to focus on anything at all. I have a full time job that requires long stretches of intense research, and I've found myself alt-tabbing to my Gmail during research stints about 500 times an hour. It's insane and totally not helpful for my productivity. Someone a few pages back said he/she only allowed him/herself to check email once a day? I so admire that discipline!

No specific ideas on the holdup for Denmark or any of the other Scandinavian countries. I am assuming that the individual country decisions were long ago sent to FFSB, and that they now have to go through each decision, double check official transcripts, do some other due diligence, etc., before they can send final notifications.

Found out just now that I am an alternate for full research grant to the South Pacific Island Nations.

I have no idea how to feel.

Edit: ill get all info updated in the spreadsheet later when I can get to my computer

Edited by vPersie

Hahaha have you seen troll hunter? It is a fine piece of Norwegian cinema, and available on Netflix I might add. Happy torsdag!

Hell yes! That is such a great movie. And I greatly appreciate the veneration of Thor. I would also like to invoke Odin's ancient Turkic cognate Öd Tengri, god of time, to make these days pass like the swift waters of the Yinchü River

Edited by secretlyismaili

I most definitely have seen Iron Sky. Another classic.