Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

So, the countries that don't have actual committees the applications are processed by the public relations person at the embassy. I was doing a little investigating today. I figured out who this woman is that still has my application sitting on her desk. Lol!!

So, the countries that don't have actual committees the applications are processed by the public relations person at the embassy. I was doing a little investigating today. I figured out who this woman is that still has my application sitting on her desk. Lol!!

That is loveably obsessive. I'm going to do the same thing in my very next moment of free time.

You pretty much just made my day... lolol

Hahaha. Just trying to keep spirits up!! Hang in there guys!! You gotta find out SOMETIME!!!

Also, I love the music from Beauty and the Beast. It's one of the most fun to sing along to!! The story itself, in retrospect of growing up, is pretty creepy. Uh.. domestic abuse and stockholme syndrome anyone?! I still love it despite it's weirdness. I guess, really, if you compare it to German fairy tales, it's pretty darn tame XD

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Dang!! How did you figure that out?! That is truly impressive!

Dear Daisu,

IIE doesn't know exactly when final selection notifications and budgets will be approved, but we're hoping to be able to send out notifications by the end of April.

:| My birthday is tomorrow. I was hoping to celebrate. 

Woah, I can't believe how many people received news yesterday. In an effort to NOT spam the board, I will try and get you all in one post!!

Congrats to the recipients!!!

Avos32

ICE_88

ArkansasJabali

Naomarie4

gotoghana

MRB15

GlamLeo

Frenchvanilla935

Books2Readme

PHDH20

Guiri4life

SocpsychPHD

So sorry for those who didn't receive it this year.. Apply again next year!!! And hang in there to the alts, you  never know!! But seriously, apply again, I this was my second attempt, so sometimes it just takes a little extra work! But it's worth it in the end!!  I'm not gonna list you guys off because I feel like that would maybe just be putting salt to your wounds? But my heart goes out to every one of you, but gosh darn it, try again!!! BIG BIG Hugs to you guys!!

Thank you so much!!!!

I've been traveling a lot the last few days so I've been keeping up with the thread but haven't had a chance to post. I want to offer a HUGE congratulations to everyone who has received a Fulbright! Seriously, I've read every single post and every accepted made me so happy to read; I wish you all the best.

For the alternates, please, please hang in there. You're not out of the fight yet. I wish you all the best.

For those not selected, I'm so sorry :( I will say you should definitely think of applying again. This year was my first time applying, and while I was successful, I am convinced that if I had tried to apply last year (during my senior year of college), as was my original plan, there's no way I would have gotten it. The experiences I had in the following year helped me grow so much and made a huge difference in how I presented my application. The point I'm trying to make is, just because now wasn't the right time doesn't mean later won't be. Keep growing, and keep trying. Good luck!!!

Hello!

I applied to study the evolution of Tajik foreign policy since the fall of the Soviet Union, focusing on Tajik-Russian and Tajik-Iranian relations. However, I may add a focus on Afghanistan, especially considering the upcoming U.S. withdrawal. Moreover, I conducted social psychological research in Moscow on Russian-Muslim relations and would like to pull off a similar project in Tajikistan. This study, though, would incorporate more reliable measures and focus more on political intolerance, rather than social intolerance. What would you be interested in researching?

That sounds sweet. Where did you do your research in Russia? God it would be so killer to go to Tajikistan. That's a really important question these days and I think of where all the Stans are going to be leaning and who their friends'll be once there (hopefully) is some opening up and a little bit of spring in the air inshallah. I've seen some Uzbek articles, but no real action, about the O'zbek Bahorasi (Uzbek Spring) and it'll be super mega important to understand how Tajikistan and its neighbors fit into the puzzle in the near future, so, good on you! Sounds great. 

Me, I'm hoping to study late Ming Islamic textual production in Nanjing, as well as aspects of Islamic textual transmission (of which there was a good ol' amount) between China and other parts of the "peripheral" Islamic world during the late 1500s and through the 1600s, like Bengal and Malaysia. One deal I am interested in looking at is how """culturally Chinese""" (in ultra carefulness quotes) Muslims wrote in Chinese about Islam as a universal spiritual system linking them with the rest of the ummah (global Islamic community, for anyone's info), and how Chineseness and Islamicness competed for top dog in their works. Specifically, in one place where there was a lot of textual transmission - the Turkic/Uyghur northwest (this is where Uzbek comes in - Uzbek/Uyghur are modern forms of Chaghatay which was used in what is now Xinjiang) - Muslims wrote about each other with varying attitudes, sometimes with mutual amity as Muslims, sometimes from a civilized-barbarian perspective, sometimes from a "true/false doctrine" perspective, and I just want to look at how that all worked! I love Islamic mystical theology. Oof I feel like every time I try to summarize my deal different things get emphasized.

Ah so much excitement on the boards recently, maybe the most exciting of all being the bed intruder Gaston. All I can picture is him telling LeFou "you are so dumb. you are really dumb. for real"

Hi!

Long-time reader, first post. Yesterday I received an email from Fulbright announcing my status as an Alternate for the ETA in Senegal. While it obviously isn't my first choice status, I am still excited about it! My question is has anyone else applied for the ETA Senegal? Would you mind sharing your grant status? 

Thanks!

Hi!

Long-time reader, first post. Yesterday I received an email from Fulbright announcing my status as an Alternate for the ETA in Senegal. While it obviously isn't my first choice status, I am still excited about it! My question is has anyone else applied for the ETA Senegal? Would you mind sharing your grant status? 

Thanks!

Hey there! Here is a spreadsheet we are using to track notifications: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have anyone for Senegal yet. But you could add your info? Same for everyone else on the forum -- please update the spreadsheet if you haven't already!

Hey quick question for those conducting doctoral or even masters level research for their Fulbright. I am looking for analysis methods for conducting survey. If you have any suggestions or insights I'd love to have a conversation with you..bounce some ideas off you. 

Hey there! Here is a spreadsheet we are using to track notifications: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have anyone for Senegal yet. But you could add your info? Same for everyone else on the forum -- please update the spreadsheet if you haven't already!

Thanks so much! Information added!

That sounds sweet. Where did you do your research in Russia? God it would be so killer to go to Tajikistan. That's a really important question these days and I think of where all the Stans are going to be leaning and who their friends'll be once there (hopefully) is some opening up and a little bit of spring in the air inshallah. I've seen some Uzbek articles, but no real action, about the O'zbek Bahorasi (Uzbek Spring) and it'll be super mega important to understand how Tajikistan and its neighbors fit into the puzzle in the near future, so, good on you! Sounds great. 

Me, I'm hoping to study late Ming Islamic textual production in Nanjing, as well as aspects of Islamic textual transmission (of which there was a good ol' amount) between China and other parts of the "peripheral" Islamic world during the late 1500s and through the 1600s, like Bengal and Malaysia. One deal I am interested in looking at is how """culturally Chinese""" (in ultra carefulness quotes) Muslims wrote in Chinese about Islam as a universal spiritual system linking them with the rest of the ummah (global Islamic community, for anyone's info), and how Chineseness and Islamicness competed for top dog in their works. Specifically, in one place where there was a lot of textual transmission - the Turkic/Uyghur northwest (this is where Uzbek comes in - Uzbek/Uyghur are modern forms of Chaghatay which was used in what is now Xinjiang) - Muslims wrote about each other with varying attitudes, sometimes with mutual amity as Muslims, sometimes from a civilized-barbarian perspective, sometimes from a "true/false doctrine" perspective, and I just want to look at how that all worked! I love Islamic mystical theology. Oof I feel like every time I try to summarize my deal different things get emphasized.

Ah so much excitement on the boards recently, maybe the most exciting of all being the bed intruder Gaston. All I can picture is him telling LeFou "you are so dumb. you are really dumb. for real"

Wow! That sounds fascinating! Yours is a very interesting topic, especially if you consider the current situation in Xinjiang. And if there is to be any Uzbek/ Tajik/ Kyrgyz Spring in the near future, the Xinjiang question will grow even more important. Do you speak Uzbek and/ or Uyghur? I remember a little Uzbek from my time in Uzbekistan and know that, as you mentioned, it is related to Uyghur more so than to some of the other Turkic languages. I hope that you end up publishing something on your research - I would love to read it!

In Russia, I conducted research on how nationalism and religiosity affect Russians' perceptions of various groups, mainly Muslims. I negotiated with professors at the International University of Moscow (my host institution), Moscow State University, and the Moscow State Pedagogical Institute to distribute surveys to students at each place. It was an interesting experience... but I must say it taught me patience :).

Hey quick question for those conducting doctoral or even masters level research for their Fulbright. I am looking for analysis methods for conducting survey. If you have any suggestions or insights I'd love to have a conversation with you..bounce some ideas off you. 

Hello!

Could you, perhaps, elaborate on what you mean by "analysis methods?" Are you asking about statistical analysis or data collection? I have experience with both and might be able to offer you some ideas.

Morrocco ETA finalist here...has anyone inquired about notifications for Morocco? They came in on April 19 and April 25 in the past couple of years, so there's time, but with each day I get more and more anxious to know. Hate the wait.

For those who got accepted for full grants do you know when we have to depart? I know August, but when....

It's on the website under your specific country. I know that there is at least a range between two months or on a specific month. Spain's is between Sept - Oct 2013. So there's flexibility. I may choose October just to draws things to a close with research, etc. 

so, this is pretty minor, but is there anyone who can fix the spreadsheet statistics box? the formulas look right, but it's still not working...

Fixed!

Everyday I go through the spreadsheet when I get to work and make sure all is copacetic, just so happens my laptop hard drive broke over the weekend.

New here.

I emailed and was told that the issue is the budget. Sequestor.  Hopefully end of April/ beginning of May.

Going, hopefully, to Bosnia.

In Russia, I conducted research on how nationalism and religiosity affect Russians' perceptions of various groups, mainly Muslims. I negotiated with professors at the International University of Moscow (my host institution), Moscow State University, and the Moscow State Pedagogical Institute to distribute surveys to students at each place. It was an interesting experience... but I must say it taught me patience :).

Wow, that's really awesome. I can imagine, though, patience coming in handy when trying to work through institutions like that! :-)   My Uyghur teacher, who lived in Uzbekistan and studied in Moscow as well, told me that there was a lot of at least anti-Turkic sentiment that she encountered there. I guess I don't really know the distribution of non-Turkic Muslims in Russia...? I'm reading now about Russian eastward expansion into Siberia and the borders of a westward-expanding China, and there's a lot of religious nationalism in the Russian conquest narratives. Now I am curious to know more about Russia's post-Soviet religious world and how it is being reclaimed after decades of official atheism. So jelly you lived in Uzbekistan and of the prospect of going to Tajikistan....oof best of luck to you. Do people in Tajikistan, as in Uzbekistan, usually speak Russian as well as Tajik / Qyrghyz / Uzbek? Do you know Tajik?

New here.

I emailed and was told that the issue is the budget. Sequestor.  Hopefully end of April/ beginning of May.

Going, hopefully, to Bosnia.

Welcome to the forum! Could you elaborate a little bit about what they said in the email?

mine did...just like that with the P, I kinda appreciated it because my stomach dropped with just one glance...it took me about 20 minutes to compose myself enough to actually read the whole email :)

My stomach didn't have time to drop. My FPA forwarded the email to me. I made an email address with yahoo, but I got the "recommended" email with my University email address. So I got the news right after lunch, and he changed the title to "congratulations." Excited.. I MUST get a passport now. 

Edited by Books2readme

My stomach didn't have time to drop. My FPA forwarded the email to me. I made an email address with yahoo, but I got the "recommended" email with my University email address. So I got the news right after lunch, and he changed the title to "congratulations." Excited.. I MUST get a passport now. 

That happened to me too!  I entered a gmail address, but the "recommended" email went to my University email.  Where did your acceptance email end up coming to?