Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

do you guys think they contact the professor/individual who wrote you an affiliation letter? people who have been accepted, do you know either way?

vPersie really sorry to hear about your news, but stay strong, don't be discouraged, reapply, and all the best for the coming year.

Thanks secretlyismaili.

To answer your question, in my case my affiliate was not contacted. We're actually quite close, since I lived with him while I spent my only 2 months in the country, and I asked him.

Just found out I am an alternate for the Fulbright in Andorra. I am hoping for some good news soon as this is something that I would be humbled to get accepted to and truly truly want . Anyone have any helpful advice? Congrats to everyone who was selected!

Edited by Jenntfa

Just found out I was accepted as an ETA in Andorra!

I could actually use a bit of advice though.

Last year I was an alternate, and I was devastated. I spent this year teaching English in Galicia, Spain, and it has been the best year of my life - so great, that I'm now entirely unsure how to feel, as I renewed for a second year, and have been excitedly picturing continuing my life here next year.

I know the Fulbright experience would be unbelievably rewarding, and that I probably love a year in Andorra just as much, but would it be crazy to turn down the Fulbright in order to stay here another year? If I did the Fulbright, I could repeat the program I'm doing now afterwards, but I wouldn't be placed in the same school with all of my fantastic colleagues and friends, and my wonderful students. 

In many regards, what I'm doing now would be very similar to what I would do in Andorra; I am and would be teaching English in a secondary school in a beautiful, mountainous region with a multilingual population.

So, my problem is: I'm afraid of losing out on a great opportunity (or flat-out making a mistake) by not accepting the Fulbright, but it breaks my heart to think of leaving all the friends and contacts I've made here in Galicia. I've also already been accepted to grad school and deferred, so I don't need the Fulbright 

What should I do? What are the real benefits of the Fulbright? One year ago, I would have been over the moon with this news. 

Also, for anyone who is feeling sad about being rejected or being an alternate, being an alternate last year was the best thing that could have happened to me, or I would never have come to Galicia, and I wouldn't be faced with this decision. Also, reapplying DOES work! So, if you are upset, take heart. Things always work out well in the end.

Congrats!!!! You will definitely have great experiences and invaluable development no matter what you choose. I am an alternate for the Fulbright in Andorra this year. Any advice or is it just a "wait and see" process ? :)

I am an alternate for Sweden.

Does anyone know the stats for people turning down their acceptance?

I'm sorry - I know that's not the answer you wanted. It's totally frustrating... For the stats check the 12-13 spreadsheet; it contains that information.

If Sweden notified today, could this mean the Scandinavian countries may finally let people know?

I can only imagine how you are feeling at the moment. We are sending you good thoughts! :)

If Sweden notified today, could this mean the Scandinavian countries may finally let people know?   I can only imagine how you are feeling at the moment. We are sending you good thoughts! :)
Haha I dangerously let myself think that for a second, but I'm beginning to think this whole thing is entirely random. I hope so bad that you're right though :)

That's a bummer. I think as a rule of thumb, about 1/3 end up getting the grant. I'd say that's still a decent chance!

Edit: oh and I just noticed your username. Jag har en lilla hund! Och han är mycket dum. :)

Edit2: Som inte var trevligt. Han är också mycket söt.

Edited by nainalerom

ACCEPTED! ETA in Bosnia :) Good luck to all of those still waiting!

Congrats! I've heard the Balkans are amazing. Someday I want to do a Croatia-Greece trip. I'm just hesitant right now because I'm a little paranoid. I know Bosnia and Montenegro are pretty safe now, but I don't know about Albania... I'm probably just ignorant though. Edited by nainalerom

I GOT IT!!!! I'm GOING TO SWEDEN!!!!! 

Congrats!! I'm planning a trip to Sweden in the couple of weeks before my program starts in October, I may have to hit you up for tips as it gets closer, will you be there already? and do you know where you'll be yet?

Has anyone heard anything recently about when Denmark will announce? I was accepted into another program, which I have tentatively accepted, but the longer this process drags on, the more work and trouble I'm creating for the other program (that is if I even get the Fulbright). This process is making me feel more stressed out and guilty everyday this drags on.

Well, at T-50 minutes, I'm going to call it. No news from Norway today. Thanks, Scandinavia, thanks for leading a guy on. : P

Yep, I think it is safe to say we are going to move on into the 4th week of April without knowing. Oh well, weekends are for "resting." Reality:  Weekends are for explaining to everyone I have heard no news. Lol!!

Has anyone heard anything recently about when Denmark will announce? I was accepted into another program, which I have tentatively accepted, but the longer this process drags on, the more work and trouble I'm creating for the other program (that is if I even get the Fulbright). This process is making me feel more stressed out and guilty everyday this drags on.

Nothing that I've heard. Yesterday I mentioned something that someone else had posted...that they hope to send out notifications by the end of April, if not sooner. But even that "end of April" timeline is no guarantee. I'm still hoping we'll hear within the next 4 minutes!

What are you planning on studying in Denmark? ETA or full?

Edited by danielm43

I am in a similar situation.  I have a few days to accept the offer by this other program.  I can withdraw from the program, but it would possibly cause it a lot of trouble.  

Ah yes I feel the same guilt. If I don't get the fulbright I won't be that disappointed; ill just be free from that guilt.