Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Only time for one more Arrested Development episode before the close of business today! Make it a good one! Like the one where they burn down the banana stand, or the one where Michael and Maeby sing "Afternoon Delight," or the one where they throw a Save Our Bluths fundraiser!

Hi y'all

I resisted from ever joining and commenting on this site, but it's warranted now. I received an e-mail this morning from Fulbright stating that I had been promoted from alternate to selected for full grant to Germany!

I had completely thrown the idea of Fulbright out my head when I was designated an alternate a month ago but today shows that there's hope for alternates. 

Good luck to all those who haven't found out yet and to those who are alternates! 

Hi y'all

I resisted from ever joining and commenting on this site, but it's warranted now. I received an e-mail this morning from Fulbright stating that I had been promoted from alternate to selected for full grant to Germany!

I had completely thrown the idea of Fulbright out my head when I was designated an alternate a month ago but today shows that there's hope for alternates. 

Good luck to all those who haven't found out yet and to those who are alternates! 

Sweet! Congratulations on the promotion!!!

Hi y'all

That is WONDERFUL! I'm so happy for you :)

Two quick things, if you hadn't already thought of these:

If you have a second, update the spreadsheet! I'm sure it especially means a lot to other alternates to know that people really DO move from alternate to accepted. Plus, it just makes me happy to scan through and see those promotions. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

EDIT: I see you actually already did that. yay!

And, if you haven't already, join us on the Facebook group for ETAs and Full Grants to Germany! https://www.facebook.com/groups/120601604797989/

Edited by Torrid

I hope he can someday, either through your Fulbright or through another opportunity (perhaps both!) :) It's a wonderful place with awesome people. I personally really want to visit Estonia! I had a professor who lived there for a few years who really loved it. My mom is down to visit the Baltics with me when she comes to visit, so perhaps I can finally make a trip there in the next year.

I told him that we would visit Germany if we go to Estonia. So, fingers crossed! It is so lovely in Tallinn and in Tartu. Though I will admit, summer is best. And...in 2014 the big song festival will be going on in July. It only happens every 5 years. 25,000 singers in a chorus singing together! I can't wait!!

Edited by CrystalDee

I was wondering that too. Since the vaccination stuff is all optional, and since it says for foreign grantees only, I'm going to assume it doesn't apply to us? Though it is really ambiguous...

How long after you guys found out did you actually get your letters in the mail?

I hope he can someday, either through your Fulbright or through another opportunity (perhaps both!) :) It's a wonderful place with awesome people. I personally really want to visit Estonia! I had a professor who lived there for a few years who really loved it. My mom is down to visit the Baltics with me when she comes to visit, so perhaps I can finally make a trip there in the next year.

I had to throw this link in also. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/france/travel-tips-and-articles/77032

See y'all tomorrow!

For grantees: do we need to get the TB test done? This medical paperwork is not clear (it only says 'for foreign grantees') and I hate shots/medical stuff lol.

It might not be a bad idea to have it done. I just did and honestly it didn't hurt.

oooh...that's a doozie!  hm...first of all, Congrats!!  I also want to totally agree with your feelings about NOT getting something being the best thing that ever happened to you, I had a very similar experience my senior year of college and I just keep thinking man, I'm SO glad I didn't get it because who knows where I would be right now, but it certainly wouldn't be here and I don't want to be anywhere else! 

As for your little dilemma, I would say do what feels right to you.  Neither choice is a BAD choice, and if it were me, I would really WANT to stay somewhere familiar where I KNOW I am happy, but I would probably choose to take the Fulbright...you've had great experiences in Galicia and nothing will take those experiences away, but you will probably have great experiences in Andorra as well and all you risk really losing out on is experiencing another place, so I'd say take it, appreciate what Galicia has done for you, and look forward to new and different things!  But that's just me...I am totally and completely 100% nomadic by nature so if that's not you, then probably just forget I said anything :)

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

HI! First of all, I am sorry I accidentally "disliked" your post in an attempt to reply to this, so I am going to try to undo that in a second.

Anyways. That sounds like a tough dilemma ! Has Andorra always been a place you've dreamed about going to? Staying in Spain sounds like a great opportunity as well. It depends on what you want out of your next year--do you want a new, challenging experience and to live in a new place? Or do you want to continue a great experience you've already been having? 

Since your already abroad, if I was in your place, I'd probably stay in Spain another year--but it really depends on what you want out of your next year.

I might be biased because I applied to ETA Spain and did not get it. I was wondering, how did you land your teaching job in Spain? I heard its difficult to get a work visa there and I kind of ruled it out and am now looking at Asian countries to teach in--but if you have any tips or would like to tell me about your experience I'd love to hear it :)

Hi y'all

Wonderful, wonderful news! Very happy things turned around for you!

In other news...I submitted my uni app to Glasgow today (for 2014-2015). I am well nervous about getting the results.

But good luck to everyone still waiting!

For what it's worth, my advisor highly suggested that I mention that I was reapplying for the second time and that I planned to reapply as many times as it would take. I think it can make a difference to whomever is reading your application to know that this is something you have put a lot of thought into, and it's not just something you are doing on a whim.

If I remember, the application asks whether you have ever applied before.  So maybe it's better just to address the issue rather than ignore it. 

If you don't mind my asking, did you say anything beyond you had applied before (and would apply again, if needed)? Such as,how you had evolved persoanlly, or in terms of your qualifications, maybe.

So, I really have no advice to give you regarding postponing your PhD, but I just thought I'd mention that I, too, am in a someone "not raaght" relationship. I've been with the same person for almost 8 years as well; people don't ask us quite as often when we will get married, but they still do. We did long distance for four years while I was in college, and I have moved around a fair amount, so I can relate. We have been living together for the past 3 years, so a lot of our friends are pretty skeptical of me moving away for a year. I'm like.. gosh darn it.. we've made it this far, why do you have to be so pessimistic?! Anyway, just thought I'd offer my solidarity, although you sound like you are much more of a pro at this than I. Your lady must be pretty special to be able to take everything so well in stride. I admit my inabilty to stay in one place for long have been a source of contention in my relationship at times.

Thanks for your reply - glad to hear that someone is going through a similar situation! I am also a little bothered about being away for a year, but I know we'll be able to handle it. Those who consider themselves relationship experts have been wrong about us so far and I am not too worried, but it will still be hard to be away from her for those 10 months. I'll definitely save up money to take a quick trip back at some point (if I get it, inshallah). She is indeed a very special lady and I look forward to a long happy life together, but we just have to get through the next couple of years of crap before that will happen. We kind of want a kid soon, too. Thanks for your input! And I wish you and your partner a future of romantic bliss.

Ah, Louisiana! It was only about an hour and a half from my undergraduate university. Great for a weekend trip. I'm sure you've tried the various local beers. Do you prefer the Abita or Covington brews?

I appreciate and frequently consume both, probably Abita more often though. Gotta say though I wasn't too into Jax brewery when we went there, whatever I got tasted like malt liquor. There's another brewery in the quarter that I like though. And (no one judge) the hardest thing for me to reacclimate to when I leave NOLA after a long period of time is the fact that I can't just take a leisurely walk out to the park with a beer in hand. Can be a very nice evening habit - the constitutional, or what do they call it in Italy? The evening walkabout deal?

Hi y'all

Yay! There is hope!

I appreciate and frequently consume both, probably Abita more often though. Gotta say though I wasn't too into Jax brewery when we went there, whatever I got tasted like malt liquor. There's another brewery in the quarter that I like though. And (no one judge) the hardest thing for me to reacclimate to when I leave NOLA after a long period of time is the fact that I can't just take a leisurely walk out to the park with a beer in hand. Can be a very nice evening habit - the constitutional, or what do they call it in Italy? The evening walkabout deal?

You, sir, you and I would have been friends on those evening in NOLA, if I were still in that former life. Ah, if only Tulane were worth a damn in linguistics....

If I remember, the application asks whether you have ever applied before.  So maybe it's better just to address the issue rather than ignore it. 

If you don't mind my asking, did you say anything beyond you had applied before (and would apply again, if needed)? Such as,how you had evolved persoanlly, or in terms of your qualifications, maybe.

I only mentioned that it was my second time applying. I did talk about how I had evolved, but I don't think I said directly that "this is how I have changed since the last time I applied". It probably couldn't hurt though.

Thanks for your reply - glad to hear that someone is going through a similar situation! I am also a little bothered about being away for a year, but I know we'll be able to handle it. Those who consider themselves relationship experts have been wrong about us so far and I am not too worried, but it will still be hard to be away from her for those 10 months. I'll definitely save up money to take a quick trip back at some point (if I get it, inshallah). She is indeed a very special lady and I look forward to a long happy life together, but we just have to get through the next couple of years of crap before that will happen. We kind of want a kid soon, too. Thanks for your input! And I wish you and your partner a future of romantic bliss.

Haha, I always like to commiserate with others who have gone through LDR. It is definitely a trial. I still have to deal with naysayers, like the ones who think it's a bad idea for me to be leaving for a year. Whatever, though. I can only live for myself.

I am saving up, too, but to buy my SO a plane ticket to Germany, as he has never been abroad. I hope everythign works out for you, too, and I think it sounds like you two have a very good shot! It sounds like you both have plans you are working towards, which probably somewhat better than if it was just one of you who had to be away for education all the time. Good luck to you, I have my fingers crossed for you to go to China!!

Haha, I always like to commiserate with others who have gone through LDR. It is definitely a trial. I still have to deal with naysayers, like the ones who think it's a bad idea for me to be leaving for a year. Whatever, though. I can only live for myself.

I am saving up, too, but to buy my SO a plane ticket to Germany, as he has never been abroad. I hope everythign works out for you, too, and I think it sounds like you two have a very good shot! It sounds like you both have plans you are working towards, which probably somewhat better than if it was just one of you who had to be away for education all the time. Good luck to you, I have my fingers crossed for you to go to China!!

You'll be fine. When it's right it always is. I'm married now, but when we were dating - my husband (then boyfriend) did 1.5 years apart. If I'm lucky enough to get this grant, we're unsure if he'll be able to join me even now (jobs, house, four-legged fur child, etc...). If you're both comfortable with the situation (and it sounds like you are) and you give yourselves no choice other then to make it - it will all work out. Visit each other, schedule regular times to skype, email everyday... It's hard because you'll miss each other terribly, but if you truly invest the effort, you'll come out the other side together.

Aww - so cute and romantic :-). I'm happy you get to have this opportunity!!

It's funny, because I've been in a LDR the past two years, except Fulbright is actually helping us come closer together -- he's German, so this will actually be the longest amount of time we've ever gotten to be near each other.

longgg distancceee i don't know what I'm going to do if I get this fulbright...have been in LDR for a year after three years of non LD. Really does suck the life out of one. oof. I wish you guys luck.

Here's to hearing from fulbright today!!

LDR folks, what do you say your key to success is? Communication? How often? Are there days when you're just so plum exhausted all you can do is say, "I love ya, but I cannot hold a conversation. Sorry," and that's it?

If you're both busy--keep expectations for communication low so that a phone call is a treat rather than its absence being a cause for drama.