Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I applied to Armenia. It's the latest they have ever notified... maybe these things are related.

Very cool! Technically, I am still within the window of notification. I told one of my professors today I had no hope of hearing before May 1st. I would love to be wrong! ;)

Hey guys, didn't think I'd end up back on this thread, but... I GOT THE FULBRIGHT ETA FOR GERMANY!! I was upgraded from alternate status. Aaaand I matriculated at a master's program last week. Not sure what's gonna happen next, but for right now, WOOOOOO!

Hey guys, didn't think I'd end up back on this thread, but... I GOT THE FULBRIGHT ETA FOR GERMANY!! I was upgraded from alternate status. Aaaand I matriculated at a master's program last week. Not sure what's gonna happen next, but for right now, WOOOOOO!

YAY YOU TOO! So happy to see all these alternates moving up. Same goes for you -- come join us at the Facebook group! :)https://www.facebook.com/groups/120601604797989/

So, I just NOW got the email that everyone else got before about the "Hold the Date" business for D.C. Oh why, why?? Why do they toy with my heart so?!

I know! I received that, too.  My heart nearly dropped to the floor.  

haha...I do know what that means! Best of luck!

I am also swamped in the middle of dissertation stuff, but I should have some time to do this :)

Totally unrelated question - you're pursuing a PhD in social psychology?

Super pumped to hear about these alternate statuses getting pushed through! 

So, I just found out from a friend here that he's on a Fulbright at the moment, from Pakistan. I had no idea. I guess Pakistan and Germany have special Fulb programs set up for them, because (as he says) they were concerned, at the time, with courting East German students to come to America after the wall fell, and they're also worried about a similar thing with remaining Pakistan's friend and ally. He invited me to go to the Fulbrighter farewell dinner with him on Saturday as a +1, which will be the 27th - the date last year that China notified. Gosh it'll be so much better if I hear positive news that day than not! btw that is not a picture of me

so is anyone 2 parts excited 1 part anxious? ;) i've spent time in the region and love it, rather than the LDR worry fulbright is actually my chance to hopefully be near someone, however even with all this, being away a year is a somewhat bitter sweet prospect (think of the day we all go to the airport and part ways from friends/loved ones for months), and being abroad brings its challenges...i can't be the only one with some nerves! sorry i don't mean to depress anyone lol of course we all have tons to say on the i-can't-wait side of things, but i figure this side of it all can be a discussion

I hear you! I've already done studies abroad and I had the greatest experience, but it was still really difficult for me to be away from my loved ones.  As the months passed, I realized it was easier if I just kept things to 2 or 3 emails a week, but by the end of the year I was a mess :)

It also makes me a little nervous to actually live there (Jamaica) on my own.  I know absolutely no one and, from what I've heard, life in Kingston can be a bit challenging for people who don't know their way around... Being a young, foreign woman is just the icing on the cake :)

So, yeah, I'm definitely 100% excited about going, but also a tiny little bit anxious. 

I am anxious too! I REALLY, REALLY want to get it, but I'm also scared. Mostly I'm nervous because I don't know what to do with my cat. He's my baby and I don't want to leave him but I worry the travel would be too stressful for him. I know he could live happily with my parents while I'm away but I'd really miss him :-/

Super pumped to hear about these alternate statuses getting pushed through!    So, I just found out from a friend here that he's on a Fulbright at the moment, from Pakistan. I had no idea. I guess Pakistan and Germany have special Fulb programs set up for them, because (as he says) they were concerned, at the time, with courting East German students to come to America after the wall fell, and they're also worried about a similar thing with remaining Pakistan's friend and ally. He invited me to go to the Fulbrighter farewell dinner with him on Saturday as a +1, which will be the 27th - the date last year that China notified. Gosh it'll be so much better if I hear positive news that day than not! btw that is not a picture of me
I assumed that wasn't a picture of you but also hoped it was because its awesome!

I am anxious too! I REALLY, REALLY want to get it, but I'm also scared. Mostly I'm nervous because I don't know what to do with my cat. He's my baby and I don't want to leave him but I worry the travel would be too stressful for him. I know he could live happily with my parents while I'm away but I'd really miss him :-/

I'm in the same boat. Except my parents are moving out of the country for two years! So I'm leaving my baby with good friends who have kittens so he'll have play friends. The day I leave I'm probably going to cry though to be honest...

For those accepted, how long do they give you to reply to their offer?

Thanks

I don't know if it is different for each country but I did not have long at all to decide. By the time the snail mail reached my house from Indonesia I only had a few days...

Super pumped to hear about these alternate statuses getting pushed through!

So, I just found out from a friend here that he's on a Fulbright at the moment, from Pakistan. I had no idea. I guess Pakistan and Germany have special Fulb programs set up for them, because (as he says) they were concerned, at the time, with courting East German students to come to America after the wall fell, and they're also worried about a similar thing with remaining Pakistan's friend and ally. He invited me to go to the Fulbrighter farewell dinner with him on Saturday as a +1, which will be the 27th - the date last year that China notified. Gosh it'll be so much better if I hear positive news that day than not! btw that is not a picture of me

Nice. I don't know why but I felt so sure today was gonna be the day. I submitted my 2nd to last thesis draft last night and, since I'm going to take an incomplete instead and stay affiliated with UT next year if I get Fulbright, it just seemed appropriate to finally find out now.

Edited by bryan.jenkins

So, I just NOW got the email that everyone else got before about the "Hold the Date" business for D.C. Oh why, why?? Why do they toy with my heart so?!

Was that just an Eastern Europe thing? I know I never got anything like that...

I hear you! I've already done studies abroad and I had the greatest experience, but it was still really difficult for me to be away from my loved ones.  As the months passed, I realized it was easier if I just kept things to 2 or 3 emails a week, but by the end of the year I was a mess :)

It also makes me a little nervous to actually live there (Jamaica) on my own.  I know absolutely no one and, from what I've heard, life in Kingston can be a bit challenging for people who don't know their way around... Being a young, foreign woman is just the icing on the cake :)

So, yeah, I'm definitely 100% excited about going, but also a tiny little bit anxious. 

I am also nervous as well. I lived in my Fulbright country (Lesotho) for almost 3 months before starting graduate school, but all the logistics of finding housing and setting up my research study has me anxious. That combined with the fact that my graduate advisor is obsessing about my safety has me a bit on edge. 

I am leaving my fur babies as well...I know they will be in good hands, but that isn't going to make me miss them any less. 

I am sure once we all get to our various locations and get settled, we will love it and not want to leave to come back home. :)

Was that just an Eastern Europe thing? I know I never got anything like that...

That, I don't know. Many here had gotten this email a while back, and I remember worrying about it at them time, then I forgot. It will make you jump when you see something from IIE, but it just says that the orientation will be July 21-23 and you will be required to go IF you are selected. :) I would be on the look out for it.

Hopefully, we will get news soon.

That, I don't know. Many here had gotten this email a while back, and I remember worrying about it at them time, then I forgot. It will make you jump when you see something from IIE, but it just says that the orientation will be July 21-23 and you will be required to go IF you are selected. :) I would be on the look out for it.

Hopefully, we will get news soon.

Hopefully that's an Eastern Europe thing since one of the other groups has an orientation in early June... I might go insane if I see an e-mail from IIE without an answer!

Hopefully that's an Eastern Europe thing since one of the other groups has an orientation in early June... I might go insane if I see an e-mail from IIE without an answer!

I am happy for some communication. The silence between January to now is insane! Hopefully you will hear something soon too.

I am happy for some communication. The silence between January to now is insane! Hopefully you will hear something soon too.

You're post gave me an idea. I just counted and it's been about 3 months and 1 week since we heard about our Finalist status in January.

The time it took for Fulbright to whittle down the applications and select the finalists from October to January? Approximately 3 months and 1 week.

We've been waiting just as long for the final decision as we waited to hear about recommendations, even though there are less candidates in the final stage. This wait is so much more excruciating, too! Hurry up, Fulbright, I beg of you!

let's please do an Eastern European Fulbright facebook group! I would, but I am REALLY not facebook savvy... even though I am quite addicted :D

You're post gave me an idea. I just counted and it's been about 3 months and 1 week since we heard about our Finalist status in January.

The time it took for Fulbright to whittle down the applications and select the finalists from October to January? Approximately 3 months and 1 week.

We've been waiting just as long for the final decision as we waited to hear about recommendations, even though there are less candidates in the final stage. This wait is so much more excruciating, too! Hurry up, Fulbright, I beg of you!

And the 2014-2015 Fulbright US Student Program Application opens in 6 days!  And many of us still haven't heard yet!  Crazy!!!!

I already did this a few weeks ago so I can't write her again! Since I took one for the team I think one of you brave souls should try next-- she's really nice and responds quickly, so you don't need to be scared.  :D

I already did this a few weeks ago so I can't write her again! Since I took one for the team I think one of you brave souls should try next-- she's really nice and responds quickly, so you don't need to be scared.  :D

Bahaha, I agree. But with that said - I'm too scared.  Lame, I know...

I just emailed her, but disguised it cleverly as a question about my change of address. ...And I just got an Out of Office response that includes a pre-scripted "dont ask me when you will hear"...Here's the whole email;

Thank you for your email. I am currently out of the office on work-related travel.

If you are a prospective grantee with questions about official transcripts, please understand we do not confirm receipt due to the large volume we receive. However, we will contact you if they are not received in a timely manner. Please make sure all transcripts are sent to our office in the original sealed envelopes.

If you are a prospective Fulbright grantee wishing to inquire about your status, please understand we will notify you as soon as this information becomes available. Until you hear otherwise, your application is still under consideration.

If you are a current grantee or US Embassy and your matter is urgent, please email Michelle Tully at mtully@iie.org and she will direct your inquiry.

For all other inquiries, I will respond after April 29th when I return. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Warm regards,

Ashley