Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

So Caribbean/CA people: we're rapidly approaching last year's notification date! Who thinks it's going to be next week? I'm going to guess it won't be, given all of the other hold ups in other regions. I fact, I think we might even be later than May 9th... That's just me pontificating with no reasonable information to back this up. Other bets?

Maybe they want us all so badly that they're running a donation drive in each individual country to finance our research / ETA tenures... No? Maybe?

My prediction is May 15, the date they are supposed to tell us by (though part of me wouldn't be surprised to see it later than that and they blame the Sequester for the delayed response... I graduate on May 18 and would REALLY like to know before then!)

Go us! I keep thinking how brutal this must be for seniors trying to make life decisions. I am working full time so if I dont get it, i at least dont need to start panicking. What are graduating seniors thinking right now? Do you guys have backup plans?

I plan to teach English for a year or two regardless of the decision from Fulbright. As a Spanish and International Business double-major who wants to do something with educational development, I believe spending some time in Latin America teaching English will increase my marketability due to enhanced language and cross-cultural communication skills developed in that time period. I'm 95% sure that I'm going to submit my application for Language Corps within the next few days to teach English in Costa Rica or Peru starting in early August. Besides, an ETA in Panama wouldn't start until January or later anyway, so I can at least get TEFL certified and teach for a few months before then to have some experience. 

The plan is to go to Peru and work in a language learning institute for 5-6 months if I get the Fulbright; that will give me a firm foundation and the South American experience before going back to Central America Panama in January 2014. If I don't get the Fulbright, I'd rather be in Costa Rica and seek a more long-term teaching position, perhaps in a high school or something for business professionals. I'd prefer to spend the majority of my 1-2 years in Central America, but I still hope to get some South American experiences in if possible!

From there, possibly an MBA, but it's too soon to tell these days. What is everybody else considering? Anybody else considering TEFL certification and working abroad?

AMEN. Weekend!  TGIF

and since I have China on the brain I feel like sharing: once on Friday at the end of the day I asked my Chinese teacher how to say "thank God it's Friday." She just looked at me blankly for a few seconds then said perfectly flatly, "there's no god in China."

happy weekend everyone, enjoy. supposed to get up to around 70 here, woot woot

What is your icon a picture of?

Nevermind. Looked it up.

I thought it was a prowrestler.

Heavymetal band. Ehh. Close enough.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Go us! I keep thinking how brutal this must be for seniors trying to make life decisions. I am working full time so if I dont get it, i at least dont need to start panicking. What are graduating seniors thinking right now? Do you guys have backup plans?

I am a graduating senior.  This past week I was accepted to teach English in Moscow, Russia next year.  So, if I do not get Fulbright, that is where I will be! I must say, there is some relief knowing that I now have a plan in place and I have some idea on what I am doing beyond August.  

tumblr_m2zmtkOQcb1r2xlcoo1_400.gif

This is how imagine those of you who have not heard yet. Just kind of laying there, lethargicly, unable to muster up the will do really do anything.

"Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.. just.. let..........this.....waiting...be....OVEEEEEEEER".

Or maybe that's just how I'm feeling at work today...

No, that pretty much sums it up.  It is gorgeous here today (close to 70) and all am doing is sitting in front of my computer lamenting about not having heard yet. 

So Caribbean/CA people: we're rapidly approaching last year's notification date! Who thinks it's going to be next week? I'm going to guess it won't be, given all of the other hold ups in other regions. I fact, I think we might even be later than May 9th... That's just me pontificating with no reasonable information to back this up. Other bets?

Maybe they want us all so badly that they're running a donation drive in each individual country to finance our research / ETA tenures... No? Maybe?

Hahaha "rapidly" lolz... That is the best optimism ever to think of anything in this process as rapid :)

(But I feel you-- all of a sudden my notification date came up and it seemed so fast, after having seemed to move at a snails pace for so long).

Yeah, I'm a graduating senior (my last final is on May 7th, yay!) and it's crazy not to know where I'll be come September.  I've been accepted at a few universities in the UK (Goldsmiths is my backup plan) and I just want to know already on what side of the world I'll be spending the year!

Edited by Jamaicabound

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2zmtkOQcb1r2xlcoo1_400.gif

This is how imagine those of you who have not heard yet. Just kind of laying there, lethargicly, unable to muster up the will do really do anything.

"Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.. just.. let..........this.....waiting...be....OVEEEEEEEER".

Yes, actually. I have been sleeping most of today in a pseudo-depression/ recharge from a weary semester. : P

Just woke up from a nap, still lying in bed though...

hoping to hear from Morocco any time.  If selected, I will go to do some Agricultural research for a year. Hopefully it will happen.  Waiting is killing me!

tumblr_m2zmtkOQcb1r2xlcoo1_400.gif

This was me up until last week. I have been less like this of late. My son looked at me on Wednesday and said "Mom? You look happy." Hahahahaha!

Germany full granter, still lurking here in solidarity with you guys. 

Those of you with ETA's - do you guys have EUR 100/mo for "incidentals" mentioned in your notification? I just noticed that today on my letter...

You're one of the journo folks, yeah? ETAs have not yet received the grant authorization so we haven't received any formal information as far as monies we will be receiving -- we're hoping to get that in the next week or so.

Committed to graduate school, but they are aware I am still waiting for Fulbright and may defer. I feel badly making them wait for my "final" decision, but there is only so much I can do...

I know this is entirely unreasonable, but sometimes I feel like I will never actually know the status of my application, and one day I will be old and knitting and thinking, "I wonder what ever happened with that Fulbright! I never did hear ..."

I know this is entirely unreasonable, but sometimes I feel like I will never actually know the status of my application, and one day I will be old and knitting and thinking, "I wonder what ever happened with that Fulbright! I never did hear ..."

Lol, no worries, these things are in your control. Made me laugh :-)

Anyone care to share how long they waited between receiving the email and receiving the snail mail?

Also, per our much earlier discussion, my "you got it" email came from IIE, not FFSB.

I just got snail mail yesterday, exactly a week after my e-mail notification (and the mail came directly from Sweden!).

My email came from IIE also :)

Committed to graduate school, but they are aware I am still waiting for Fulbright and may defer. I feel badly making them wait for my "final" decision, but there is only so much I can do...

You do what you have to do and universities and PIs know the wonder of having someone perform a year of independent research or perform service through the Fulbright.

It's an opportunity of a lifetime and as scary as it is how amazing there is something like this for us? How amazing.

Edited by daisusaikoro

I just got snail mail yesterday, exactly a week after my e-mail notification (and the mail came directly from Sweden!).

Congratulations! And thanks for the info. It's nice to know people are sticking around after acceptance.

What a great community.

Congratulations! And thanks for the info. It's nice to know people are sticking around after acceptance.

What a great community.

For the selected ones: how is the visa process going?

I believe you heard back around the same time as me. Have you gotten any packets or other information from Fulbright? I live in DC so can walk my passport over the embassy like I always do- but I havent heard anything else so not sure when I should start "doing things"

hey! i have a Question about the consent form,... anyone know if declining to be interviewed on the consent form is tantamount to declining the award??? i signed under "accepted and agreed to" on the form, but checked the box "no, i would not be willing to be interviewed". lolz