Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Long time lurker, first time poster. Accepted ETA to Azerbaijan! I just wanted to say thank you to all of you on this board. I know I didn't vocally participate, but I checked it very often, and your friendly chatter and also nervous banter kept me a little more sane during this process. I wish the best to all of you, congrats to all those who receive/d grants, and good luck to everyone!  :)

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Accepted ETA to Azerbaijan! I just wanted to say thank you to all of you on this board. I know I didn't vocally participate, but I checked it very often, and your friendly chatter and also nervous banter kept me a little more sane during this process. I wish the best to all of you, congrats to all those who receive/d grants, and good luck to everyone!  :)

Thank you for sharing your news with us today. I am so happy for you! Good luck in Azerbaijan. Check back with us hopefully we will all meet up in D.C. in July!

Could you say a little more? Who emailed you? Any indication as to why? Hmm. I wonder if the formal award is dependent on the language stuff. I am hoping to hear earlier than later as well.
It was the CET people (I applied to do a CLEA in the Harbin Fulbright summer term). They sent it because regardless of whether we're accepted or not, they apparently need to get the ball rolling on visa stuff. It was how they began it that seemed discouraging: "As many of you know, CET’s scheduled commitment deadline for the special summer Fulbright program is May 1. Many of you will not receive notification of your funding status by this date, so please just be aware that you need to notify CET as soon as you do receive your decision." CET could just be contingency planning in case we don't hear by then, but I'd guess they already contacted iie and got a "yea probably not before then" response. Hopefully I'm wrong.

We were out and about, and my son was switching channels on the radio and we came across "A Touch of Gray" by the Grateful Dead and I realized that was my song for the day. "I will get by...(doo, doo, do, dooo) I will get by...I will survive". However, I am pretty sure I am getting more gray hair from the anxiety of waiting. Bad for me; good for my hair dresser.

It was the CET people (I applied to do a CLEA in the Harbin Fulbright summer term). They sent it because regardless of whether we're accepted or not, they apparently need to get the ball rolling on visa stuff. It was how they began it that seemed discouraging: "As many of you know, CET’s scheduled commitment deadline for the special summer Fulbright program is May 1. Many of you will not receive notification of your funding status by this date, so please just be aware that you need to notify CET as soon as you do receive your decision." CET could just be contingency planning in case we don't hear by then, but I'd guess they already contacted iie and got a "yea probably not before then" response. Hopefully I'm wrong.

when I read your post, I was kind of relieved actually. It's nice to at least have one fixed point of reference rather than waiting for the bomb to drop at any moment (and hiding under my desk the whole time...!). So I was like, ok. Open all the windows, blast some Beethoven (perfect day for #6), make some delicious Indian food (but with Thai chillies...good and hot), have a beer and relax. The waiting can wait for later  B) 

Congrats again to all who made it through. And my heart goes out to those who did not. Truly a strengthening experience.

Good morning, folks. IIE opens up in T-1 Arrested Development episode. Best of luck to everyone today on hearing good things!

Well I guess we have reached the end of our day. Are you caught up on Arrest Development?

when I read your post, I was kind of relieved actually. It's nice to at least have one fixed point of reference rather than waiting for the bomb to drop at any moment (and hiding under my desk the whole time...!). So I was like, ok. Open all the windows, blast some Beethoven (perfect day for #6), make some delicious Indian food (but with Thai chillies...good and hot), have a beer and relax. The waiting can wait for later  B) 

That is how I felt after Lunita said she heard Switzerland would not find out until mid-May.  I was finally able to relax and climb out of my email's butt hole for awhile.  Of course, now its not even May yet, and I'm back to being bitchy and anxious  :ph34r:

There are so few Recommended's left on the spreadsheet! There remains 53 out of 374 total candidates, plus 30 who have not updated their status. Never would I ever have thought that I'd STILL be waiting to hear this late in the game. Its been so long after the Vietnam ETA applicants heard in years past - twelve days to be precise. 

Kudos to all 52 of the rest of you waiting here with me! We're a tough bunch of Fulbrighters-to-be. Just think, though - these next two weeks will probably be the final stretch for ALL of us. The end is in sight! 

That is how I felt after Lunita said she heard Switzerland would not find out until mid-May.  I was finally able to relax and climb out of my email's butt hole for awhile.  Of course, now its not even May yet, and I'm back to being bitchy and anxious  :ph34r:

Thank you for making me feel normal. ^_^

My email comes straight to my phone so I can't escape it. I looked at the spreadsheet earlier and thought it was odd Switzerland was still waiting. I may be right there with you hanging out until mid-May. But we can do it!!

Congrats again to all who made it through. And my heart goes out to those who did not. Truly a strengthening experience.

I was definitely feeling a little more "Muss es sein/Es muss sein!" today, but this is an excellent idea. Even had a little Texas baby storm today.

Thank you for making me feel normal. ^_^

My email comes straight to my phone so I can't escape it. I looked at the spreadsheet earlier and thought it was odd Switzerland was still waiting. I may be right there with you hanging out until mid-May. But we can do it!!

hahahaa...heard that. 

yes, we can do it! final stretch. go team!

che sara, sara...whatever will be will be.....

There are so few Recommended's left on the spreadsheet! There remains 53 out of 374 total candidates, plus 30 who have not updated their status. Never would I ever have thought that I'd STILL be waiting to hear this late in the game. Its been so long after the Vietnam ETA applicants heard in years past - twelve days to be precise. 

Kudos to all 52 of the rest of you waiting here with me! We're a tough bunch of Fulbrighters-to-be. Just think, though - these next two weeks will probably be the final stretch for ALL of us. The end is in sight! 

Wow! We are getting close to the end. It's been a crazy ride! I can't believe I have spent over a half a year on all this. This has been longer than the campaign I was with. Lol! Let's just hope the outcome is better than the campaign. *crossing fingers *knocking on wood *clicking my heels

I know! I was totally just looking at the spreadsheet thinking the same thing! There is an end in sight for everyone - it's just making it through these last two weeks!!

I was definitely feeling a little more "Muss es sein/Es muss sein!" today, but this is an excellent idea. Even had a little Texas baby storm today.

excellent taste, sir. that's actually kind of funny, hadn't seen your post but ... the phrases "che sara sara" "muss es sein/es muss sein!" complement each other in a pretty amusing way  ^_^ 

I know! I was totally just looking at the spreadsheet thinking the same thing! There is an end in sight for everyone - it's just making it through these last two weeks!!

Hiya everyone,

I'm hoping to check-in with China people. I'm a senior undergraduate from a tiny school in rural Ohio that hasn't had a research Fulbright in years (although about 7 ETA Fulbrights so far for this year). I'm honestly just feeling a bit lonely and looking for support. One of my professors told me yesterday that I should be grateful to get this far because he would never give a research grant to an undergrad.

I would love to at least get alternate status to prove him wrong!

Hiya everyone,

I'm hoping to check-in with China people. I'm a senior undergraduate from a tiny school in rural Ohio that hasn't had a research Fulbright in years (although about 7 ETA Fulbrights so far for this year). I'm honestly just feeling a bit lonely and looking for support. One of my professors told me yesterday that I should be grateful to get this far because he would never give a research grant to an undergrad.

I would love to at least get alternate status to prove him wrong!

Welcome to our board! China is one of the last big programs on the board to make a decision. If you haven't seen the spreadsheet here you go, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1 you can add your info.

Making it this far is a huge accomplishment! Hang in there!

Edited by CrystalDee