Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hiya everyone,

I'm hoping to check-in with China people. I'm a senior undergraduate from a tiny school in rural Ohio that hasn't had a research Fulbright in years (although about 7 ETA Fulbrights so far for this year). I'm honestly just feeling a bit lonely and looking for support. One of my professors told me yesterday that I should be grateful to get this far because he would never give a research grant to an undergrad.

I would love to at least get alternate status to prove him wrong!

I hope you do, o fellow Ohioan! 祝你幸福!

谢谢你!I was the only student to get recommended for a research Fulbright from my college this year, so it's been a very odd experience waiting to hear back.

I proposed studying the effects of government childcare programs and subsidies on women's laborforce participation rates in Hangzhou. I'm very curious about what other people proposed to study in China because my advisor was constantly reminding me not to propose anything remotely controversial or political.

haha, ohio! I'm from Canton :)

Hiya everyone,

I'm hoping to check-in with China people. I'm a senior undergraduate from a tiny school in rural Ohio that hasn't had a research Fulbright in years (although about 7 ETA Fulbrights so far for this year). I'm honestly just feeling a bit lonely and looking for support. One of my professors told me yesterday that I should be grateful to get this far because he would never give a research grant to an undergrad.

Welcome aboard! Think your professor is pretty much dead wrong here. The Fulbright scholars (as opposed to the fellowship) program is designed pretty much precisely for people finishing undergrad, as far as I understand. MA students like myself are more the exception than the rule. In any case, glad to have another join the wait!

谢谢你!I was the only student to get recommended for a research Fulbright from my college this year, so it's been a very odd experience waiting to hear back.

I proposed studying the effects of government childcare programs and subsidies on women's laborforce participation rates in Hangzhou. I'm very curious about what other people proposed to study in China because my advisor was constantly reminding me not to propose anything remotely controversial or political.

haha, ohio! I'm from Canton :)

No s***? Seems we have somewhat intertwined research interests. I proposed to study the history of rural cooperative medicine, especially as it pertains to women's social advancement and reproductive health. Hope you get it so I can read what you find out.

Hiya everyone,

Meh should and yes it is honorable. We are finalists and I have to imagine that the remaining issues are budgetary concerns. If you look at the us.Fulbright statistics you will see there is a reduced number of applicants and a large number of scholarships to give out (50 percent chance).. considering they likely trimmed a bit already we should be in the 80 to 90 chance of acceptance but these numbers are just magical ones that don't mean anything until we find out.

Oh I hope though really... such a strong probability... Maybe tomorrow?

Speaking of I have to accept the nsf Grant tomorrow and I still don't know what I'll be doing at the end of the year...

Welcome moda!  I am a graduating senior applying to China too. :)
From my understanding, the Fulbright program was originally designed for students just completing their Bachelor's degree, but nowadays graduate students are also welcome to apply (and do get selected every year). I don't think there's a bias against us undergrads, but I'm not sure if there's a preference in our favor, either.

The issue of sensitive topics came up before... I think it's okay as long as you approach the topic in a respectful way and perhaps clear it with a few different people; I asked a few visiting scholars from China at my school, American experts on China, and as the director of the study broad program I participated in, and they all felt it was doable. My topic is slightly politicized too (I've been shying away from posting details-- a sort of good luck charm I guess?;)), but I looked at the directory on the Fulbright website and people have done some interesting topics in the past, including Tibet and Xinjiang related ones, so there are ways to make it work!

I really hope we all get it. I'd love to visit you all in China!

Clevelander here.... though going to school elsewhere, still a Buckeye at heart :)

From Cleveland myself, but in school in Dayton right now!  Ohio has a lot of representation up in hurrrrrrrr!

Welcome moda!  I am a graduating senior applying to China too. :)

From my understanding, the Fulbright program was originally designed for students just completing their Bachelor's degree, but nowadays graduate students are also welcome to apply (and do get selected every year). I don't think there's a bias against us undergrads, but I'm not sure if there's a preference in our favor, either.

The issue of sensitive topics came up before... I think it's okay as long as you approach the topic in a respectful way and perhaps clear it with a few different people; I asked a few visiting scholars from China at my school, American experts on China, and as the director of the study broad program I participated in, and they all felt it was doable. My topic is slightly politicized too (I've been shying away from posting details-- a sort of good luck charm I guess? ;)), but I looked at the directory on the Fulbright website and people have done some interesting topics in the past, including Tibet and Xinjiang related ones, so there are ways to make it work!

I really hope we all get it. I'd love to visit you all in China!

That's really interesting! I honestly didn't know about undergrads and research. My school pushes very hard to get a large number of ETAs (which is wonderful), but hasn't had much luck with research grants. Luckily, my sociology advisor this year is from Beijing and was able to help me make my topic less political.

I do understand your note about not posting details of your project. One of my majors is Women's Studies and I've been truly trying to promote this field of study. I studied a lot of Chinese feminist theory and would love to learn more about it.

Thank you, everybody, for your congratulations! It means so much to me.  :)

Congratulations to all the other people who heard good news today! Hugs to those who did not.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who has yet to hear.  

Hi All!

Long time lurker, but saw something I can add value on:

From what I've been hearing the CLEAs are given out after the Fulbright grants, so for the China applicants: You will probably know about Fulbright a week or two before you hear about whether or not you can study at your language programs.

Best

Not sure if this is relevant for all countries, but my school's Fulbright committee was informed that Norway will be notified no later than April 30th. I hope they are right, but I am still frantically checking my email every few minutes just in case we hear earlier.

The day of truth is upon us. T-23 Arrested Development episodes until the end of business. Here's hoping today's the day!

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether the notifications are issued in parallel to all finalists or based on priority? what if there are 20 finalists for one country, out of which 5 received their acceptance mails and the remaining did not hear anything yet!

Good to see you around! I am so glad that you guys are sticking around the board even after you got your grants.

We really do have a good community!

Haha, I definitely don't check as obsessively anymore,  but I like to poke in and see when people get their notifications :)

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether the notifications are issued in parallel to all finalists or based on priority? what if there are 20 finalists for one country, out of which 5 received their acceptance mails and the remaining did not hear anything yet!

I think normally everyone finds out at the same time. However, this year is different. The Sequestration that took place has made it difficult for countries to finalize their budgets for Fulbrights. In the case of Norway, some applicants were accepted, some were placed on the alternate list, and others were told they must wait to see if more funds become available. So, not everyone is finding out at the same time. I am not sure that this is what is going on in your case. But, know that budget issues are affecting the notification process. You might ask your campus advisors for information. Good luck!

I think normally everyone finds out at the same time. However, this year is different. The Sequestration that took place has made it difficult for countries to finalize their budgets for Fulbrights. In the case of Norway, some applicants were accepted, some were placed on the alternate list, and others were told they must wait to see if more funds become available. So, not everyone is finding out at the same time. I am not sure that this is what is going on in your case. But, know that budget issues are affecting the notification process. You might ask your campus advisors for information. Good luck!

Most probabaly you are right. But they did not reply anything for the rest, neither if they are alternate nor if they shall wait to see if more funds become available! The number notified till now is relatively too low as compared to the number of finalists...hopefully they will not cut the funding that aggressively!!

I know I'm a little late on this, but are there any other applicants to Romania on here? I'm an alternate, and I noticed on the Google Spreadsheet that the only other poster is also an alternate. I'm mostly wondering how many grants were offered in the end, and how many of us were designated Alternate?

Any alternates been upgraded from the wait list in the Eastern Europe region?

I know I'm a little late on this, but are there any other applicants to Romania on here? I'm an alternate, and I noticed on the Google Spreadsheet that the only other poster is also an alternate. I'm mostly wondering how many grants were offered in the end, and how many of us were designated Alternate?

Another Red Raider! Wreck 'em! I don't know the information about that, but I'm definitely pulling for you to get moved to accepted!

This link shows the number of awards per country per year.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics

Hope it helps!