Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I actually had the thought that they sent out emails and I was just left out. Oh irrational thought, why do you haunt me so??!!

Crap, moving back into depression mode. My poor family lives with a crazy person at the moment.

I am at the anger stage.  Is that before or after depression?  I move all over the spectrum, regularly!

LOL. I was quite angry before I got my email. And the first time around was much, much easier. I blame this forum for the increase in anxiety. That's okay though, because I got to meet and talk to such cool folks ;) It's worth it.

I was definitely at the anger stage when I found out.  I would say that although this forum gave me some anxiety, I was and am still very happy to have people with whom I can commiserate about this process.  

My bike home from school all I can think about is 'o god, what if it's in my inbox RIGHT NOW?' Probably gonna get me in a car crash one day.

And as for my contact in China, I haven't spoken to him in probably 2 months at this point, saying something like 'I hope to know soon.' He probably just assumes I didn't get it at this point.

Edited by bryan.jenkins

And as for my contact in China, I haven't spoken to him in probably 2 months at this point, saying something like 'I hope to know soon.' He probably just assumes I didn't get it at this point.

I opted to not send my friend another "still waiting" email. I don't want him to think I am lame.

I was definitely at the anger stage when I found out.  I would say that although this forum gave me some anxiety, I was and am still very happy to have people with whom I can commiserate about this process.  

The board used to fill me with anxiety (especially in late February through March), but it really doesn't anymore since we've all been waiting forever. I wouldn't say I'm angry or depressed, but I'm definitely irritated with how the process has played out. It's been a long road to say the least.

I feel like I could give Fulbright more leniency if I was applying to a large country with a lot of applicants. Central America/Caribbean has a weird accounting set-up, which makes it take longer, but Panama had seven total applicants for two ETA positions. Why it should take six to seven months for two positions is beyond me, especially since finalists have been waiting longer than we did for the first recommendation. They probably only have 3 or 4 candidates still in for Panama. Draw names out of a hat already! Let's get this done!  :rolleyes:

Alas, life goes on..(cuts another piece of cake and turns the TV back on, slowly slipping into an afternoon nap...).

I feel like I could give Fulbright more leniency if I was applying to a large country with a lot of applicants. Central America/Caribbean has a weird accounting set-up, which makes it take longer, but Panama had seven total applicants for two ETA positions. Why it should take six to seven months for two positions is beyond me, especially since finalists have been waiting longer than we did for the first recommendation. They probably only have 3 or 4 candidates still in for Panama. Draw names out of a hat already! Let's get this done!  :rolleyes:

I feel the same way about Switzerland!  There are only 12 spots, so why is it taking so long?  Especially because all the rest of Western Europe already knows (except for maybe Luxembourg.) What gives!

I am realizing that I've been extra complainy today.  :blink:

Nah! No worse than the rest of us. Lol!! Another flippin' month is gone and we still don't know anything new. :wacko:

All good. Better to complain to a bunch of random people online who feel your pain and are going through it as well than to your friends! They might think you're crazy or something, but we keep each other sane ;)

with good reason...this is super annoying. i wonder if there are fulbright applicants out there who just send off the application and then chill til they get a response. that seems way more inhuman than feeling the frustration of being so close but so far! China, Estonia, Switzerland, Morocco (etc) - quit playing grab-ass and send us some news!

with good reason...this is super annoying. i wonder if there are fulbright applicants out there who just send off the application and then chill til they get a response. that seems way more inhuman than feeling the frustration of being so close but so far! China, Estonia, Switzerland, Morocco (etc) - quit playing grab-ass and send us some news!

That's pretty much how I was the first time around, but I think I wasn't as invested in it then.

That's pretty much how I was the first time around, but I think I wasn't as invested in it then.

i stand corrected. actually my life might work out better if i don't get it, since i already have something lined up, and maybe i'd be less aware of the wait if not for this forum. were you on something like this last year, and do you think that changed the waiting experience? 

I just remembered this gem from a long long time ago on the board: when we were speculating about whether the fulbright application committees read this forum, someone who was on some kind of college admissions board said she used to check College Confidential and that it was just full of people saying "WHATS YOU'RE GPA BRAH?!?!" That phrase has since become a joke between some friends and me at school, kind of like a greeting. So instead of "what's up dude?" we'll say "what's your gpa brah?"

ah the myriad benefits I have accessed through you fine people.

"What's you're GPA brah???!!!!"

That made me lol... i remember the college confidential days. SO accurate. 

Well, it is 75 degrees and sunny in rural Ohio today. I awoke to the gentle sounds of mooing cows.

Keep Calm and Carry On, Brave Potential-Fulbrighters!

i stand corrected. actually my life might work out better if i don't get it, since i already have something lined up, and maybe i'd be less aware of the wait if not for this forum. were you on something like this last year, and do you think that changed the waiting experience? 

It was actually two years ago, and no, I hadn't found a forum. I definitely think it has made me more anxious, but I've enjoyed it :)

This ETA acceptance email arrived a few minutes ago:

"Congratulations!  We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a Fulbright U.S. Student award for 2013-2014 to Turkey."

EDIT: That original post seemed so emotionally detached. Believe me, though, I am freaking out in my own way!

Edited by ideasforsongs

Yea! Turkey (Turkish? ) applicants!! So much for Turkey being last. Lol!

I am off to Atlanta soon. So I will be radio silent for a couple of hours. Take care friends! Wishing for good news today.

Edited by CrystalDee

Congrats to the Turks! I'm taking a two week trip there on May 15. Hardly seems like enough time though. Definitely jealous of the awesome experiences I'm sure you'll have!

This ETA acceptance email arrived a few minutes ago:

"Congratulations!  We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a Fulbright U.S. Student award for 2013-2014 to Turkey."

EDIT: That original post seemed so emotionally detached. Believe me, though, I am freaking out in my own way!

Congrats! Maybe Turkey will be the first of many with good news today! :)

Yeah Turkey! Congrats to all who received good news and thanks for breaking the drought!

For those of you monitoring Morocco, I heard back from the head of MACECE. His message: "Just hang in there... there's a signpost up ahead." I wish he had been a tad more specific, but at this point I guess we'll take what we can get.

For those of you monitoring Morocco, I heard back from the head of MACECE. His message: "Just hang in there... there's a signpost up ahead." I wish he had been a tad more specific, but at this point I guess we'll take what we can get.

Thanks for the update, Reb.

Also: "There's a signpost up ahead"? Uh... what? Like, dude, if you don't know anything and have nothing substantial to say, don't be all coy about it.

I really don't understand how everyone seems to be in the dark on this - or, at least, MACACE and the ME/NA program manager are, which seems like a pretty substantial lack of organization and communication.