Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

My first reaction was "WTF?" Because honestly, what exactly does a picture do for my application other than allow the commission to discriminate against me or other candidates? And with only 10 alternate positions for Morocco, it isn't like they have a whole boatload of alternates anyway - I would assume there would be 5-10, max., so the explanation of 'putting names to faces' seems like a very weak reason to me.

I asked my Fulbright advisor at my school about it, and she had a pretty WTF reaction too - she had never heard of it before, either. She said she would look into it, but I never heard anything back, and I didn't send in a picture. I never got alternate - I would hope that wasn't why - but I just wanted to see if anyone else on the forum had experienced or heard of something similar.

Anyone care to weigh in?

That is SO crazy bizarre!!!

I have to say, though, recommended applicants to Switzerland have to send in a lot of extra stuff in January.  One of the things they requested was a recent photo.  The explanation was just, "Don't worry; that's just how we do things."  But, yeah, you have to wonder what they need a photo for.

Aaaghh, Cessie, reading your post made me think that you had gotten results from Morocco this year...I guess I skimmed through it. My stomach flipped. And now my stomach doesn't feel any better about things because if the Moroccan Fulbright Commission director needs photos to help make decisions...well that's just creepy.

Thanks Reb for the orientation info...I'm actually going to call Jermaine today to confirm that and ask again about notification.

Aaaghh, Cessie, reading your post made me think that you had gotten results from Morocco this year...I guess I skimmed through it. My stomach flipped. And now my stomach doesn't feel any better about things because if the Moroccan Fulbright Commission director needs photos to help make decisions...well that's just creepy.

Thanks Reb for the orientation info...I'm actually going to call Jermaine today to confirm that and ask again about notification.

I'm sorry! Right after I posted it I was like ... crap that looks like an acceptance email. SO SORRY.

Just to let you know, in case you missed it - I called Jermaine... two or three? days ago and he basically knows nothing. Feel free to call him though, squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that, but I wouldn't expect much.

So I have a question for any remaining Alternates out there (preferrably ones who got their alternate email a week or two ago, if there are any remaining on the forum.) It's a mystery that's been bugging me for a year now, but I didn't closely follow last year's thread so here it goes.

Last year I was designated as an alternate for Morocco. A week or two after that email, I got this email from Jermaine Jones:

"Hello,

Dr. Jim Miller, the director of the Moroccan Fulbright Commission, has requested recent photographs of all the candidates who’ve been named alternates for 2012/2013 year U.S. Student awards to that country. I think these will help him and his Commission colleagues put faces to your names and applications.

It might be best to email these to me, so that I can forward them on to Jim.

Let me know if you have any questions. (Just so you know, he didn’t give any specifications in terms of the size or quality  of the photos, so I’d think that something like a passport picture would be ideal.)

Regards,

Jermaine Jones

Program Manager, Africa and the Middle East

U.S. Student Programs

Institute of International Education (IIE)

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017"

My first reaction was "WTF?" Because honestly, what exactly does a picture do for my application other than allow the commission to discriminate against me or other candidates? And with only 10 alternate positions for Morocco, it isn't like they have a whole boatload of alternates anyway - I would assume there would be 5-10, max., so the explanation of 'putting names to faces' seems like a very weak reason to me.

I asked my Fulbright advisor at my school about it, and she had a pretty WTF reaction too - she had never heard of it before, either. She said she would look into it, but I never heard anything back, and I didn't send in a picture. I never got alternate - I would hope that wasn't why - but I just wanted to see if anyone else on the forum had experienced or heard of something similar.

Anyone care to weigh in?

I feel like as bizarre as that is, you could have some real fun with it....Passport size photo of you with a fez on, giving them a thumbs up while holding a tagine in one arm. Perhaps a wink as well?

Hi all, this isn't super relevant to you guys because there seems to be no Laos Fulbrigthers on the message board, but hopefully it'll bring hope to some alternates out there! I was selected as an alternate ETA to Laos and was bumped to accepted earlier this week because the program received more funding. So it does happen! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I feel like as bizarre as that is, you could have some real fun with it....Passport size photo of you with a fez on, giving them a thumbs up while holding a tagine in one arm. Perhaps a wink as well?

Hehehe... can all of those accepted to Morocco promise to send pics with feses?  Or at least take a group pic wearing them?

As creepy as I find the idea of sending a photo, I've often heard of this.  I was asked by one of my grad programs to submit one between my admission and my matriculation.  I sent one with me waaaaay back in the distance.

Hi all, this isn't super relevant to you guys because there seems to be no Laos Fulbrigthers on the message board, but hopefully it'll bring hope to some alternates out there! I was selected as an alternate ETA to Laos and was bumped to accepted earlier this week because the program received more funding. So it does happen! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Yay!!!  Congratulations  :D

I actually did consider this, or putting on sunglasses and a hijab or using a mask, but then I figured they would feel like it's offensive and not befitting of a Fulbright candidate or whatever.

If I get alternate again this year, and they creepily ask for another picture, I will totally do that and post the results in this thread because I can't afford to wait around on Fulbright again. Even now I'm pushing it, I'm just about to be in the final interview for a job at my old internship - I thought I would know on Morocco by now. :/

You guys will still hang out with me, right?  I have another 3-4 weeks to go still. :blink:

I will be around.  I like hanging out on this board. Usually...haha. :)

I do have a question about the medical forms that I am hoping somebody has some insight.  Although, I doubt it, I have gotten a different answer from every single person I've asked.  Here it goes.  The medical form asks if you have ever been to counseling...I had a death in the family earlier this year and I know that with the Peace Corps, it won't send you out until at least a year has passed.  I don't know if that is the same policy with Fulbright? The reason I wonder is that they are both government sponsored organizations.  One friend suggested, and I am leaning towards agreeing with her, is "don't ask, don't tell" but I don't know if the program has access to my medical records? Any thoughts? I wouldn't want to have my Fulbright experience cut in half because of this. 

I do have a question about the medical forms that I am hoping somebody has some insight.  Although, I doubt it, I have gotten a different answer from every single person I've asked.  Here it goes.  The medical form asks if you have ever been to counseling...I had a death in the family earlier this year and I know that with the Peace Corps, it won't send you out until at least a year has passed.  I don't know if that is the same policy with Fulbright? The reason I wonder is that they are both government sponsored organizations.  One friend suggested, and I am leaning towards agreeing with her, is "don't ask, don't tell" but I don't know if the program has access to my medical records? Any thoughts? I wouldn't want to have my Fulbright experience cut in half because of this. 

But you have already been accepted, right?  I would not think they could just retract your acceptance after the fact.  Anyway, I don't really know the answer to this, but I assume most (all?) counseling is pretty confidential.  I doubt they would ever find out if you fudged it a little.

I do have a question about the medical forms that I am hoping somebody has some insight. Although, I doubt it, I have gotten a different answer from every single person I've asked. Here it goes. The medical form asks if you have ever been to counseling...I had a death in the family earlier this year and I know that with the Peace Corps, it won't send you out until at least a year has passed. I don't know if that is the same policy with Fulbright? The reason I wonder is that they are both government sponsored organizations. One friend suggested, and I am leaning towards agreeing with her, is "don't ask, don't tell" but I don't know if the program has access to my medical records? Any thoughts? I wouldn't want to have my Fulbright experience cut in half because of this.

They do not have access to your medical records. The ONLY people who have access to your medical history is your doctor's office (and affiliated institutions, such as partner hospitals), your insurance company, and anybody you sign a release of your records to.

T_T I can't believe that the Peace Corp would do that. As far as I'm concerned it's no one's business but my own whether or not I've seen a counselor in the last year.. and what it's for. I wouldn't put it on my application simply for htat reason.

That is really awesome to hear! So glad you got bumped up! Before I started reading this forum, I just assumed that people rarely got bumped up, but it sounds like it happens quite often. So congratulations, I'm sure you must be so excited!!

My fortune cookie said, "You will be singled out for a promotion". Do you think fortunes from cookies are transferable? Do you think I could send my fortune to CrystalDee? Normally my fortune cookies justs say something crazy like "The wisdom of your soul flows like water", or "A cheerful heart blooms eternal".

They do not have access to your medical records. The ONLY people who have access to your medical history is your doctor's office (and affiliated institutions, such as partner hospitals), your insurance company, and anybody you sign a release of your records to.

I agree with others: there's no reason for them to have access to your records. And if they ask, I don't see how they could require you to disclose that information.

I have a question of my own: Does anyone know how alternate status works regarding a CLEA? So I'm an alternate, and my grant proposal included a (much needed) CLEA that would begin in July. Any idea if being bumped up would or would not include the language program as well?

Absolutely this. It would be a massive violation of the law for Fulbright to be granted access to your medical records without you explicitly consenting to it.

I'd probably err on the side of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Agreed with everyone else. They don't have access to your records so you totes could fudge, though i really doubt they'd care if you went to some couseling. there's the part where the doctor checks off that he/she thinks you're fit to conduct research abroad, so they could figure out whether you're totally insane there.

Speaking of health stuff, insurance. Is the Fulbright-associated insurance suitable to be one's only source of insurance, or is it more intended to be a supplement? Maybe I'm dumb, but I feel like i'm getting mixed messages from the fulbright website.

Agreed with everyone else. They don't have access to your records so you totes could fudge, though i really doubt they'd care if you went to some couseling. there's the part where the doctor checks off that he/she thinks you're fit to conduct research abroad, so they could figure out whether you're totally insane there.

Speaking of health stuff, insurance. Is the Fulbright-associated insurance suitable to be one's only source of insurance, or is it more intended to be a supplement? Maybe I'm dumb, but I feel like i'm getting mixed messages from the fulbright website.

it was my impression that it would be your only insurance, on your medical release it has you fill out if you will have your own, private insurance for that time and it says if you will, this will be your sole insurance, so I assumed if you have your own, they won't give you the insurance benefits, if you don't, then you get theirs...

Hi all!

Been a lurker for some time, yet haven't wanted to sign up for fear of being rejected... but.... just got accepted for a Turkey ETA Fulbright yesterday! Been such a surreal experience. I already have much international experience, yet this is definitely something special and unique.