Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I received an email saying I was awarded the Morocco ETA! I'm heading out the door, but it feels unreal. For those out there who didn't make it, please know that I applied for a Fulbright to another country two years ago...I learned a lot from the process and I made myself a stronger candidate as a result. Don't give up! Eventually your work will pay off in one way or another.

WooooohoooOO! Congrats!!! That is so awesome!

I bet some people decided it was 5:00 somewhere and took off for the night... maybe there will be some gasps and excited responses tonight and tomorrow on the board as a result!

Wow, one busy day and look at everything I missed!  So sorry to hear all of the harsh choices that Fulbright decided to make :(  They will definitely be missing out on some wonderful people.

But congratulations to everyone who heard positively!

Wow, one busy day and look at everything I missed!  So sorry to hear all of the harsh choices that Fulbright decided to make :(  They will definitely be missing out on some wonderful people.

But congratulations to everyone who heard positively!

I guess that's what happens when you have bannas for hands :/

But yes, I agree!

For just Morocco?  Or all of Middle East/North Africa?

@MuscaTiger, are you applying to an Arab Gulf country? Perhaps Oman? I'm applying to Bahrain, but I'd thought I give you my solidarity.  

@MuscaTiger, are you applying to an Arab Gulf country? Perhaps Oman? I'm applying to Bahrain, but I'd thought I give you my solidarity.  

I am.  And yes, I applied for Oman.  Looks like we have another weekend (at least) of waiting...

For all this waiting, if we are awarded the grants, they better fly us first class on Emirates!!!   :lol:

I received an email saying I was awarded the Morocco ETA! I'm heading out the door, but it feels unreal. For those out there who didn't make it, please know that I applied for a Fulbright to another country two years ago...I learned a lot from the process and I made myself a stronger candidate as a result. Don't give up! Eventually your work will pay off in one way or another.

Wohoo! Congratulations! 

I am.  And yes, I applied for Oman.  Looks like we have another weekend (at least) of waiting...

For all this waiting, if we are awarded the grants, they better fly us first class on Emirates!!!   :lol:

@MuscaTiger, I lived in Muscat for a full year and went to Sultan Qaboos Univeristy. I know you already have an affiliation, but I would be more than happy ro share my contacts with you. Oman cannot be matched. Would have applied, Fulbright regulations wouldn't let me. Let me know if you're interested in some contacts or just general advice! Did you call Jermaine? I called him the beginning of April and he said he was hopinf for the end of April...we're now in May....but orientation is June! 

At 5:38pm EST, the email finally came! Full grant to Slovenia!!!!!! (Anybody else out there for Slovenia?)

Thanks to all who have been posting here. I have been mostly quiet but appreciative of the virtual community, especially this past week when the wait has been most agonizing. On Monday I received an email from Joan Smallwood at IIE with the subject line "URGENT--TRANSCRIPT--URGENT" alerting me that my undergraduate transcript was missing from my file. My undergrad institution was fantastic and was able to mail an official transcript for me via FedEx overnight around 1pm that afternoon, and it arrived by 10:30am in New York on Tuesday. No word since then until the official email tonight, but it seems that if you accidentally forget a transcript, IIE will let you know and give you a chance to send it in.

To those who are still waiting to hear, hang in there! :)

That is really awesome to hear! So glad you got bumped up! Before I started reading this forum, I just assumed that people rarely got bumped up, but it sounds like it happens quite often. So congratulations, I'm sure you must be so excited!!

My fortune cookie said, "You will be singled out for a promotion". Do you think fortunes from cookies are transferable? Do you think I could send my fortune to CrystalDee? Normally my fortune cookies justs say something crazy like "The wisdom of your soul flows like water", or "A cheerful heart blooms eternal".

I will take that fortune! ;) Hey, crazier things have happened. Right?

At 5:38pm EST, the email finally came! Full grant to Slovenia!!!!!! (Anybody else out there for Slovenia?)

Thanks to all who have been posting here. I have been mostly quiet but appreciative of the virtual community, especially this past week when the wait has been most agonizing. On Monday I received an email from Joan Smallwood at IIE with the subject line "URGENT--TRANSCRIPT--URGENT" alerting me that my undergraduate transcript was missing from my file. My undergrad institution was fantastic and was able to mail an official transcript for me via FedEx overnight around 1pm that afternoon, and it arrived by 10:30am in New York on Tuesday. No word since then until the official email tonight, but it seems that if you accidentally forget a transcript, IIE will let you know and give you a chance to send it in.

To those who are still waiting to hear, hang in there! :)

yesss!! congrats!! I'll be in Zagreb and hope to visit Slovenia at some point in my stay!  What city will you be in?

yesss!! congrats!! I'll be in Zagreb and hope to visit Slovenia at some point in my stay!  What city will you be in?

Nice! I will be primarily in Ljubljana. We will have to connect at the orientation in July!

(First time poster) Any Morocco apps not find out today? Any Morocco apps get rejection emails today?

I'm still waiting...Since only two people have posted (and both were accepted) my mind is thinking that only acceptees were notified today and we non-acceptees will find out Monday? 

I'm an ETA App.

Or has any one found out on Saturday?

#thoughticouldwaittwomoredays

Edited by nlp

@MuscaTiger, I lived in Muscat for a full year and went to Sultan Qaboos Univeristy. I know you already have an affiliation, but I would be more than happy ro share my contacts with you. Oman cannot be matched. Would have applied, Fulbright regulations wouldn't let me. Let me know if you're interested in some contacts or just general advice! Did you call Jermaine? I called him the beginning of April and he said he was hopinf for the end of April...we're now in May....but orientation is June! 

Awesome!  I was at SQU last summer for a few weeks and absolutely fell in love, which is why I am hoping to return.  If I get it (inshalla) I would love to get your contacts!  I emailed Jermaine a couple of weeks ago and he told me he was hoping to hear/get responses out by the end of April.  So I'm hoping for next week, but certainly not holding my breath.  Best of luck to you!

I heard on Friday around 6PM EST that I was awarded a Fulbright research grant for Morocco!  Morocco, here I come: 18 months of prohibition, rampant internet piracy, and busted up Mercedes Benz taxis!  I can now put away my "Fulbright Ken doll" good luck charm which helped me through the long wait.

I got mine late yesterday afternoon when I was stuck in endless airport delays (damn the sequester, CrystalDee!). I'm still n shock and trying to catch my breath: I got it. Research grant to Morocco. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone else in DC and Rabat!

I got mine late yesterday afternoon when I was stuck in endless airport delays (damn the sequester, CrystalDee!). I'm still n shock and trying to catch my breath: I got it. Research grant to Morocco. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone else in DC and Rabat!

Yea!!! So happy for you! I am sending good wishes for your trip. Thank you for your kind words. I am completely open for you guys to mention me to IIE in D.C. Tell them I am ready, they can send me ;)

Germany folks are lucky in this regard -- we don't have to apply for our visas until we arrive in Germany, so no stressing about that for a little bit.

That's cool :)

I believe you heard back around the same time as me. Have you gotten any packets or other information from Fulbright? I live in DC so can walk my passport over the embassy like I always do- but I havent heard anything else so not sure when I should start "doing things"

We should be receiving Grant documentation needed for the visa application within the next few weeks. 

Hi all!

Been a lurker for some time, yet haven't wanted to sign up for fear of being rejected... but.... just got accepted for a Turkey ETA Fulbright yesterday! Been such a surreal experience. I already have much international experience, yet this is definitely something special and unique.

@ryanm I'm in the same boat. Never posted before but just got accepted for a Turkey ETA! Congrats! Do you know of other Turkey ETAs at all?

This ETA acceptance email arrived a few minutes ago:

"Congratulations!  We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a Fulbright U.S. Student award for 2013-2014 to Turkey."

EDIT: That original post seemed so emotionally detached. Believe me, though, I am freaking out in my own way!

@ideasforsongs Hey I'm another Turkey ETA in Michigan. Congrats!

ummm, did we ever get that eastern europe or balkan FB group going?!?!?!

I tried, but in order to actually "create" the group, I needed to invite a friend.  If someone else knows how, please feel free. :)